Pending CEL 2453
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

    Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Pending CEL 2453

  1. #1
    LulzT1 is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    130

    Pending CEL 2453

    Hey guys, been lurking for a few months while enjoying my Cruze!

    Recently I've been having some issues, probably starting about a month ago and getting progressively worse. Currently have 60k on the clock. Mileage between regens has been poor, especially the last few days where the max DSR has been 150. At lower speeds, light throttle I'm getting a bucking / surging (not regen'ing) especially in the morning when the car sits over night. Sometimes when accelerating from a stop I'll even get like a misfire/stumble when the car is hot.

    Until today, no codes pending or obvious factors. Tried different fuel stations the past few tanks. No DIC messages. Only used Mobile 1 super 3000 low SAPS. Fuel filter has 33% life yet.

    The past three consecutive days using remote start I've noticed a strong diesel exhaust smell in the morning. Doesn't smell in the cab though and goes away. On my way to work another regen was started, but didn't finish (6 STM left). Going home it rapidly went up to 10 before continuing. Regen stopped at 6 while crusing at highway speeds... wtf? Never seen that before, ALWAYS goes to 3. Used scangauge to find pending P2453.

    Anyone have similar issues? Places to check? Did some searching, no real good results though.

    Thanks for any help!

    Josh

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Super Moderator

    Tomko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,662
    Check for a broken bolt at the exhaust pipe flange to the SCR.

    Also check your EGR. It could be fouled.
    Barefeet and LulzT1 like this.
    Tomko

    Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (garage queen)


    Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1996 Impala SS (21.5 years / 27,878 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)

    1984 6000 STE (first car)

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  4. #3
    LulzT1 is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomko View Post
    Check for a broken bolt at the exhaust pipe flange to the SCR.

    Also check your EGR. It could be fouled.
    Fixed the SCR a while ago, so probably not that.

    I also suspect EGR, was poking around under the hood, didn't find any write up on how to remove it .. would like to check it out, maybe it's having issues closing
    pacolino likes this.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Handbrake Released HarleyGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Campbell Hall, NY
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by LulzT1 View Post
    Fixed the SCR a while ago, so probably not that.

    I also suspect EGR, was poking around under the hood, didn't find any write up on how to remove it .. would like to check it out, maybe it's having issues closing
    Check my DPF/DEF removal thread in the Diesel DIY section, it has EGR delete information also.
    pacolino and LulzT1 like this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel, full delete.
    1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel "Nancy"
    2004 Harley-Davidson Road King Custom

  7. #5
    LulzT1 is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyGTP View Post
    Check my DPF/DEF removal thread in the Diesel DIY section, it has EGR delete information also.
    Thanks, took a look at your thread last night, the delete only removes the pipe ? Or did you remove the valve adjacent to it too? There's some hard lines in the way, they appear to cover the top egr bolt. The lines are bolted to the head by the throttle valve.

    Hopefully it's not the issue ... $250 for the part or nearly $800 for dealer replacement, makes a delete tempting ...

  8. #6
    Reverend Red Bull
    revjpeterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Rockford, MI
    Posts
    1,004
    Quote Originally Posted by LulzT1 View Post
    Thanks, took a look at your thread last night, the delete only removes the pipe ? Or did you remove the valve adjacent to it too? There's some hard lines in the way, they appear to cover the top egr bolt. The lines are bolted to the head by the throttle valve.

    Hopefully it's not the issue ... $250 for the part or nearly $800 for dealer replacement, makes a delete tempting ...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=all

    If this link is the right part (which I think it is), don't pay $250 for it.
    pacolino likes this.

  9. #7
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    44
    I've had the same issues that you are experiencing. I've seen every one of them on my scangauge 2, from the very first one, until now. The only thing I could kind of trace it back to was the outside temperature. When it's cooler to cold out, it seems to take a lot longer to start a Regen. I live in michigan, and we have some days where its 75° one day and 40° the next. I drove the same route on a two day temperature swing like that, and I built about 10 stm on the hot day, and only 1 stm on the colder day. That's my 2¢. ?

    About the bucking in the morning, I also have that. When I leave for work in the morning, if I do about 40 mph and it's in 5th gear and I give it a little throttle, it will buck like a SOB! I had it at the dealer the other day, and they said it was normal til it warms up......I can tell you right now, that it's not normal. If you were taking a drink of coffee while it did that, you would be wet and burnt. It does go away after it warms up for a bit tho.

  10. #8
    LulzT1 is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeezel View Post
    I've had the same issues that you are experiencing. I've seen every one of them on my scangauge 2, from the very first one, until now. The only thing I could kind of trace it back to was the outside temperature. When it's cooler to cold out, it seems to take a lot longer to start a Regen. I live in michigan, and we have some days where its 75° one day and 40° the next. I drove the same route on a two day temperature swing like that, and I built about 10 stm on the hot day, and only 1 stm on the colder day. That's my 2¢. ?

    About the bucking in the morning, I also have that. When I leave for work in the morning, if I do about 40 mph and it's in 5th gear and I give it a little throttle, it will buck like a SOB! I had it at the dealer the other day, and they said it was normal til it warms up......I can tell you right now, that it's not normal. If you were taking a drink of coffee while it did that, you would be wet and burnt. It does go away after it warms up for a bit tho.
    Pretty much my exact observations. Only lately I've been struggling yo make it past 100 miles without a regen, seems counter productive if these systems are supposed to save the environment LOL


    Just as an update, CEL never lit and cleared itself. HOWEVER, now I've got P24C6! Wtffffffffffff I believe this sensor was replaced early in my ownership .. will have to dig around my paper work. Currently have 61k now. I cleared it and it came right back. Any tips ? Replace the sensor or look elsewhere ? Thanks !

  11. #9
    1st Gear
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    283
    That sensor has a 10 year warranty and in Canada I think its 160,000 kms.

  12. #10
    LulzT1 is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruz15 View Post
    That sensor has a 10 year warranty and in Canada I think its 160,000 kms.
    Thanks, saw that while flipping through paperwork. Apparently I've had this sensor replaced at 12k and 24k miles (P/N 12661098). Looks like I'll schedule an appointment then and see if I can get the recall done too.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Similar Threads

  1. P2598 with pending P0299
    By MRO1791 in forum Gen1 Diesel Technical Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-27-2016, 12:13 AM
  2. The ULTIMATE CEL of CEL's
    By 2014DieselCruze in forum Gen1 Diesel General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-24-2016, 02:29 PM
  3. Engine is ticking, Pending P0299
    By Demize in forum Gen1 Service Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-13-2015, 01:48 PM
  4. Engine is ticking, Pending P0299
    By Demize in forum Gen1 1.4L Turbo
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2015, 05:43 PM
  5. Pending Trouble Codes
    By GSDB in forum Gen1 Service Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 07:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2