Weird Battery Issue - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Weird Battery Issue

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by oreo382 View Post
    Well it turns out it is the battery.Went back to the store after getting the car started and they tested it with a cca reading instrument which read 500cca.As a second test they then got me to start the car,turn on the hi beams and heater to full and watched the battery voltage slowly dropping,the alternator couldn't keep up.They changed the battery (another lead acid) and she starts now.I have no idea why the first load test showed good other than the tech didn't have the load current set high enough.I did notice the old battery voltage would jump up to >15 volts almost immediately after starting.The new one goes up there if the temperature is below 0 but it does it much more slowly.As for the have to have an AGM battery replys,flooded batterys have been starting diesels for a long time,much larger diesels than the 2L Cruze.Admittedly the big ones use 2 batteries but the diesels are like 6L,3x the displacement of the Cruze.I've got 1 year free replacement left on this battery,if it starts to act up then i'll go buy a Northstar and be done with it.
    Get it replaced now with an AGM battery. The old flooded cell Lead Acid batteries won't work in the Cruze, or in just about any other late model car for that matter. It's not about how much starting power is needed, it's how the battery is managed by the car. The Cruze has a variable output alternater, which means that the battery won't be receiving a consistent 14.4v for charging. Instead, it will receive anywhere from 13.5 to 15.6v for charging based on the load on the engine. Lead acid batteries simply can't handle this variable charge rate.
    IndyDiesel and MRO1791 like this.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Off-Road Champion

Whoever did the service in the car should be put out of business, they are not qualified to work on anyone’s car. I am amazed how folks buy a car and then can’t seem to understand how to maintain it properly. My dad is 80 now and his first real job was a Ford mechanic at a dealership. I am so thankful for everything he taught me. I am not a gear head but I understand how to do basic stuff and get repairs done properly.
    obermd and MRO1791 like this.
    2018 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Premier RS 11k
    2003 Buick Park Avenue 80k
    2004 Ford F-150 Reg Cab, 4.2L 45k
    2005 Mercedes E320 CDI 190k

2015 Chevrolet Cruze CTD 71k traded
    2004 Cadillac Deville DHS 90k SOLD
    2002 Ford F-150 extended cab 4.6L 133k. SOLD

Formula One Champion
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

oreo382 is online now [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    The gas Cruzes came with flooded lead acid batteries and have the same charging algorithm (smaller alternator current output though).I've looked this up in Chilton's service manual for both the gas and diesel cruzes so your statement of not working is not correct.My Cruze output is 15 volts when the temp is below zero celsius which is fine for a flooded battery.Look up the charging specs. for them at low temps and see for yourself.Optima batteries in one of their q&a's about AGM battery charging were asked what charger setting to use if there is a standard (flooded) and gel setting on a charger.Their reply was to use the standard (flooded) setting.So the AGM and floodeds are not that much different as far as charging,they're both lead acid.Another thing to put in your pipe,AGM's can't tolerate charging above a certain ambient (120F) temperature as well as floodeds.Manufacturers state this in their literature,look it up.Underhood summer temps are more than 120F.No wonder there are a lot of Cruze Diesel battery failures.AGM's are great in the trunk.I'm sure the manufacturers don't mind as they can sell more.

The gas Cruzes came with flooded lead acid batteries and have the same charging algorithm (smaller alternator current output though).I've looked this up in Chilton's service manual for both the gas and diesel cruzes so your statement of not working is not correct.My Cruze output is 15 volts when the temp is below zero celsius which is fine for a flooded battery.Look up the charging specs. for them at low temps and see for yourself.Optima batteries in one of their q&a's about AGM battery charging were asked what charger setting to use if there is a standard (flooded) and gel setting on a charger.Their reply was to use the standard (flooded) setting.So the AGM and floodeds are not that much different as far as charging,they're both lead acid.Another thing to put in your pipe,AGM's can't tolerate charging above a certain ambient (120F) temperature as well as floodeds.Manufacturers state this in their literature,look it up.Underhood summer temps are more than 120F.No wonder there are a lot of Cruze Diesel battery failures.AGM's are great in the trunk.I'm sure the manufacturers don't mind as they can sell more.

Wow, thanks for straightening us all out. I don't know what these silly people with all this education and experience were thinking. Whoops, went past 20 words and that's more than I want to invest in somebody that already knows everything.
    2015 Chevy Cruze CTD 120K (DEF Tank Replaced)
    2013 Chevy Sonic 1.4T Hatch
    2005 GMC Yukon XL SLT 2500 8.1L(496 Big Block)

Administrator

Chilton's is wrong in this case. The battery that came with my 2012 ECO MT was AGM.
    MRO1791 likes this.
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    Chilton's is wrong in this case. The battery that came with my 2012 ECO MT was AGM.
    Read up on the Gas Cruze forum,that's where I learned that bit.The part about the algorithm is from Chiltons and if you think that's wrong then read up again on the gas forum and there is info about the charging scheme.The ECO may be different (weight saving?)

Learning about my Cruze
    No, I don't know "everything",just that you spout out some b.s. about batteries not working in any cars.Show some proof.BTW the sarcasm attack is typical of a person with no backup to their statements.

Administrator

Read up on the Gas Cruze forum,that's where I learned that bit.The part about the algorithm is from Chiltons and if you think that's wrong then read up again on the gas forum and there is info about the charging scheme.The ECO may be different (weight saving?)
    The charging algorthyms are correct - just the OEM battery info. GM started transitioning from Lead Acid batteries in the late 90s - my 2002 Pontiac Montana had an AGM battery from the factory.

Driver's Ed
    That's just diesel's dude. Cold weather puts an unbelievable strain on batteries.
    That's the nature of pure compression cycle.

Plus side you never pay for batteries, just keep those receipts. Free new battery almost every winter!

If stuck charge the battery then jump it. That should give you enough umph to lite the glow plugs and spin fast enough.

At least new ones start in the winter. The old manual injection pump motors were a nightmare if you forgot to plug in the block heater.
    More then once I stuck a hibachi under my old VW rabbit...
    MRO1791 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)