2014 water pump - Powertrain Warranty !!!!
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dieseldr
  • 1 Post By Rivergoer
  • 1 Post By Blasirl

Thread: 2014 water pump - Powertrain Warranty !!!!

dieseldr is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

2014 water pump - Powertrain Warranty !!!!

Water pump started big leak on daughters 2014 Cruze (67000 miles).

Her initial complaint was the radiator fan noise.
    I told her it was probably just doing a regen.
    But when she said the heater was taking an unusually long time to work, I realized it was probably low on coolant.
    She texted me a photo of the tank, showing about 1/2” of coolant remaining!
    When I had a chance to examine her car, it was clear the water pump seal had failed.

I thought the 5 year powertrain warranty had expired, so bought a new water pump.
    Also bought the new timing belt/idler/tensioner, thinking while I had it apart, do all the work at one time.
    Turns out the Cruze was bought in November of 2014, and the water pump is still covered under Powertrain warranty!
    Dealer declined to install my pump, citing warranty repairs must be done w/ factory parts.
    OK, makes sense.
    Dealer agreed to install new timing belt/idler/tensioner I provided as part of the job for $270, great!
    Now I have a new spare water pump and the IDParts 11247810426 “Cruze Diesel Timing belt tool kit”…..still in the box.
    Hope more Powertrain warranty things break soon!
    Really not wanting to work on this now, it is almost 90 degrees here today!
    Frank
    Rivergoer likes this.
    1985 Mercedes 300SD = Son's Diesel cruiser 366,000
    1985 Mercedes 300TD = Dad's Diesel wagon 199,000
    2000 Ford Powerstroke 7.3 Diesel = Dad’s daily driver 276,000
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel = Daughter’s 67,000
    2017 Winnebago View 24G = Diesel RV 8,000
    2018 Kubota Diesel ZD1211 = mutant lawnmower 25hrs
    2018 Chevy Equinox Diesel = Wife's new daily driver 12000 miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Off-Road Champion
    My Gen 1 diesel water pump failed at almost exactly the same mileage. That 100K PT warranty is awesome for stuff like this, glad you still had coverage remaining!

Originally in my case, the dealership did not want to cover the timing belt/tensioner/idler. However, I was fortunate enough to have a mechanic that refused to do the water pump without also doing the timing belt.

He pointed to the GM service manual which specifies TB replacement if coolant contamination is observed (in my case the pump failed dramatically, spilling a couple quarts of coolant all over the timing belt and onto the ground).

So, after the mechanic stated his case I was provided everything including the TB, Idler and Tensioner covered under PT warranty.

His argument was if he did the job without the TB and it later prematurely failed they’d be looking at a much more expensive engine replacement on their dime.

It worked.

There are indeed some good GM mechanics out there...sometimes the challenge is finding service managers that will follow the mechanic’s advice.

Glad your daughter’s diesel’s back on the road and bonus you don’t have to do the TB again for another 100K.
    Blasirl likes this.
    2014 White Cruze Diesel, 3rd Owner, Bought 3/17 With ‘09 TDI Buyback $$$
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Cummins Dually, 245,000 Miles
    1987 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Suburban, 383 Stroker, North of 300,000 Miles
    Thank you Veterans!

Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldr View Post
    Water pump started big leak on daughters 2014 Cruze (67000 miles).

Her initial complaint was the radiator fan noise.
    I told her it was probably just doing a regen.
    But when she said the heater was taking an unusually long time to work, I realized it was probably low on coolant.
    She texted me a photo of the tank, showing about 1/2” of coolant remaining!
    When I had a chance to examine her car, it was clear the water pump seal had failed.

I thought the 5 year powertrain warranty had expired, so bought a new water pump.
    Also bought the new timing belt/idler/tensioner, thinking while I had it apart, do all the work at one time.
    Turns out the Cruze was bought in November of 2014, and the water pump is still covered under Powertrain warranty!
    Dealer declined to install my pump, citing warranty repairs must be done w/ factory parts.
    OK, makes sense.
    Dealer agreed to install new timing belt/idler/tensioner I provided as part of the job for $270, great!
    Now I have a new spare water pump and the IDParts 11247810426 “Cruze Diesel Timing belt tool kit”…..still in the box.
    Hope more Powertrain warranty things break soon!
    Really not wanting to work on this now, it is almost 90 degrees here today!
    Frank

I'd be happy to come down there and work on yours if you come up here and work on mine - earlier it was about 15 degrees F.
    dieseldr likes this.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    Mine just turned over the exact same Mileage 67,000 miles and right on queue spotted coolant leaking. Mostly only notice puddles when its cooler outside, probably due to seal shrinkage with the temp. Unfortunately I will have to repair it myself because I'm just over the 5 year mark from the time of purchase. I would rather do the work myself anyways.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel.

Formula One Champion
    I know the gassers have special coverage on the water pump, doesn't the diesels?

Water Pump Recall

Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Touring Champion
    They do not.

We only have about a month and a half before our PT warranty is up - so I don't imagine our transmission issue will be solved (it hasn't been present, though I'm sure it'll come back when it warms up - just after the warranty has gone away), nor will the water pump let go before its time for the timing belt replacement.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels, Black Bowties, UR Rear Lower Bar
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Black Bowties
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors, Ceramic Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
    Hidden Content

Driver's Ed
    Except for mine. Did the water pump, I fought them to a standstill on the timing belt and they relented after I told them to reassemble it with the old belt but that would be on them if anything went wrong... and then the mechanic left the cam bolts loose. So now I have a new cam, belt, tensioner, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivergoer View Post
    My Gen 1 diesel water pump failed at almost exactly the same mileage. That 100K PT warranty is awesome for stuff like this, glad you still had coverage remaining!

Originally in my case, the dealership did not want to cover the timing belt/tensioner/idler. However, I was fortunate enough to have a mechanic that refused to do the water pump without also doing the timing belt.

He pointed to the GM service manual which specifies TB replacement if coolant contamination is observed (in my case the pump failed dramatically, spilling a couple quarts of coolant all over the timing belt and onto the ground).

So, after the mechanic stated his case I was provided everything including the TB, Idler and Tensioner covered under PT warranty.

His argument was if he did the job without the TB and it later prematurely failed they’d be looking at a much more expensive engine replacement on their dime.

It worked.

There are indeed some good GM mechanics out there...sometimes the challenge is finding service managers that will follow the mechanic’s advice.

Glad your daughter’s diesel’s back on the road and bonus you don’t have to do the TB again for another 100K.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)