Idiot hit my Jetta. Need the ends and outs of the TDI Cruze. - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Idiot hit my Jetta. Need the ends and outs of the TDI Cruze.

Quote Originally Posted by cooter2 View Post
    Funny post, I also had an idiot hit my Jetta and total it (2004 TDI with 307k miles on it, in pristine condition, this occurred in Fall 2018). I now own a 2014 Cruze Diesel, here is my rundown:

1. Going from an old 2004 to a 2014 with all the bells an whistles, is great. Love the built in Bluetooth and like the layout and function of the electronics on the cabin.
    2. My Cruze has 177k on it, so I bought high mileage to pay cash (I think it was the cheapest one in the country when I bought it, drove 8 hrs to get it). I am having transmission issues and have since the beginning. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but can't get some of the info I need to fix this one. My tranny is doing the common slamming into gear when stopped while in Drive with a warm/hot tranny. It seems like solenoids. Most people on here just had dealer replace the tranny, that is not the route I plan to take, but this is an issue....
    3. I just started getting emissions issues and now have the countdown (from when it started to giving me the countdown was about 3 days). I am planning on deleting to fix this.
    4. It does not get as good of mileage as my Jetta TDI, I would say about 5 mpg less. I have a 40 mile commute each way at 70 mph with limited stops/turns.
    5. I am not looking to start any fires here, but there were much more and better resources (TDIClub and myTurboDiesel) for the do-it-yourselfer on the TDI's. There were writeups for everything and even the more difficult/technical things were covered. I have found that not to be the case with the Cruze Diesel. I still see alot of posts here that the fix is take it to a dealer. One example is the transmission issue. Something like that would have solenoid part #'s and links to where you can buy them to fix the jerk issue. I am still going through manufacturer documentation when I get time to try to find them myself (already ordered some that I thought were right but did not match what was in the tranny).
    6. Went from a 5 speed to an automatic. I don't really miss the 5 speed unless the engine is cold. I like to shift at lower rpm's when eng warms up, even the manual override on this does not allow me to do what I want. I am impartial on this one.
    7. Love the remote start on the cruze (can also add the ability to start from a smartphone for $15/mo), I live in Nebraska, we get some cold winters. Works great, and I don't think the VW's were offered with them at all.
    8. Okay, two dumb things.....
    - I cannot find a good spot to put my phone when in the car that is not on the passenger seat. In my old Jetta I put it in front of the shifter and it was out of the way, easily visible and accessible. Still trying to find a good spot.
    - I cannot find a good spot to put my sunglasses, currently have them in the door slot, but they get scratched here. Anyone have any ideas?
    9. The Cruze is very smooth and tight, much better then the Jetta (and my car had a brand new suspension when it was totaled).

Overall, I really like the car, my wife and brothers don't make fun of me for having a girl car anymore. It is comfortable to drive, has the modern toys. The downside is, when something goes wrong, it is much more expensive to fix, even by yourself, but that is the case most times you get a newer vehicle. I am happy with the purchase, just can't wait to fix these issues.
    https://www.amazon.com/CHEVROLET-Fro.../dp/B00AEBAHDA

^replace the hand hold above driver and/or passenger head.
    Hidden Content

2014 Cruze Diesel - White 140,000 km

1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 350,000 km
    1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 320,000 km

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    I use the dash vents to store my sunglasses & mount my Garmin. For sunglasses I use a binder clip with a piece of plastic and the GPS uses a vent holder with some modifications.
    Binder clip.jpgSunglasse.jpg GPS.jpg
    Last edited by mkohan; 03-20-2019 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added pics
    Hidden Content

2015 Chevy Cruze diesel
    2015 Chevy Malibu
    2012 Chevy Cruze LT
    2004 Pontiac Vibe

5th Gear
    4. It does not get as good of mileage as my Jetta TDI, I would say about 5 mpg less.
    6. Went from a 5 speed to an automatic.
    7. Love the remote start on the cruze
    I wonder how much 6 and 7 have to do with 4?
    2017 Cruze LT RS
    2016 Cruze LT with Sun&Sound

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Gen 2 diesel has a timing chain. Dual mass flywheel failures on the manual Gen 2 diesels are pretty common. Have not heard of any issues with the 9 speed autos *yet* in the Cruzes, but there seem to be a few teething/programming issues in the first year it was in gasoline engined GM products. The 9 speed shifts EXTREMELY smoothly compared to the 6-speed Aisin box in the Gen 1.

Gen 1 has a timing belt, and only came with the automatic. Emissions systems issues are relatively common; the transmission programming isn't the best, but other than that, a very solid powertrain. A small handful have had transmissions replaced for banging in/out of gear, but that seems to be pretty isolated.

The Gen 2 feels/sounds a little bit more like its normal gasoline powered Cruzen brethren, with a bit more torque when you punch it at 2000 RPM. The Gen 1 CTD is very quiet from inside, but very HEAVY feeling vehicle compared to the Gen 1 gasoline-powered cars. Also very noticeably a diesel from outside the car; the Gen 2 1.6 is somewhat noticeable, but way less tractor-sounding once warm.
    Hey @jblackburn , excellent analysis of issues. You didn't mention dpi tank failures? I believe all of those get lifetime warranties though? I may be wrong.

as to the " diesel" racket, once warmed , my 2015 CTD is not all that loud. Noticeably diesel, which I like, but it's not very loud at all. Probably best highway cruiser at 85 I've ever driven. Smooth, quiet and torquey. Nice heavy , firm steering fell on highway. No tram.ining at all. Set it and forget it. @JettatoCruze , don't fret and get one. Mines been great after almost 4 years.
    jblackburn likes this.
    2015 CTD, all options including block heater. Built 12/14. Dual Stir-O Beltronics, the best of the best in RDs, not even a V1C can hang with the O. ALP quint.

Handbrake Released
    Funny post, I also had an idiot hit my Jetta and total it (2004 TDI with 307k miles on it, in pristine condition, this occurred in Fall 2018). I now own a 2014 Cruze Diesel, here is my rundown:

1. Going from an old 2004 to a 2014 with all the bells an whistles, is great. Love the built in Bluetooth and like the layout and function of the electronics on the cabin.
    2. My Cruze has 177k on it, so I bought high mileage to pay cash (I think it was the cheapest one in the country when I bought it, drove 8 hrs to get it). I am having transmission issues and have since the beginning. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but can't get some of the info I need to fix this one. My tranny is doing the common slamming into gear when stopped while in Drive with a warm/hot tranny. It seems like solenoids. Most people on here just had dealer replace the tranny, that is not the route I plan to take, but this is an issue....
    3. I just started getting emissions issues and now have the countdown (from when it started to giving me the countdown was about 3 days). I am planning on deleting to fix this.
    4. It does not get as good of mileage as my Jetta TDI, I would say about 5 mpg less. I have a 40 mile commute each way at 70 mph with limited stops/turns.
    5. I am not looking to start any fires here, but there were much more and better resources (TDIClub and myTurboDiesel) for the do-it-yourselfer on the TDI's. There were writeups for everything and even the more difficult/technical things were covered. I have found that not to be the case with the Cruze Diesel. I still see alot of posts here that the fix is take it to a dealer. One example is the transmission issue. Something like that would have solenoid part #'s and links to where you can buy them to fix the jerk issue. I am still going through manufacturer documentation when I get time to try to find them myself (already ordered some that I thought were right but did not match what was in the tranny).
    6. Went from a 5 speed to an automatic. I don't really miss the 5 speed unless the engine is cold. I like to shift at lower rpm's when eng warms up, even the manual override on this does not allow me to do what I want. I am impartial on this one.
    7. Love the remote start on the cruze (can also add the ability to start from a smartphone for $15/mo), I live in Nebraska, we get some cold winters. Works great, and I don't think the VW's were offered with them at all.
    8. Okay, two dumb things.....
    - I cannot find a good spot to put my phone when in the car that is not on the passenger seat. In my old Jetta I put it in front of the shifter and it was out of the way, easily visible and accessible. Still trying to find a good spot.
    - I cannot find a good spot to put my sunglasses, currently have them in the door slot, but they get scratched here. Anyone have any ideas?
    9. The Cruze is very smooth and tight, much better then the Jetta (and my car had a brand new suspension when it was totaled).

Overall, I really like the car, my wife and brothers don't make fun of me for having a girl car anymore. It is comfortable to drive, has the modern toys. The downside is, when something goes wrong, it is much more expensive to fix, even by yourself, but that is the case most times you get a newer vehicle. I am happy with the purchase, just can't wait to fix these issues.
    So except for the trans, you're happy!!

I have to disagree on mileage. My neighbors 04 , same year as yours with stick, gets about the same mileage as mine , but is nit near as quick to 60. We've raced, I'm unmodded, and I handily best him to 100. Wasn't even close.

My DIC shows an average in the 40s in summer and slightly less in winter. If I use cruise, I see about 55-58 mpg in highway at 70 mph.
    2015 CTD, all options including block heater. Built 12/14. Dual Stir-O Beltronics, the best of the best in RDs, not even a V1C can hang with the O. ALP quint.

Driver's Ed
    Going to look at a privately owned 2015 with 56k miles for 10,900. Might pull the trigger if the car is worth it.
    Rivergoer likes this.

Driver's Ed
    So I found one I liked but the owner did not tell me he does not own the car outright. The car has a lein from the owners credit union. I am also looking to take out a loan via my credit union for about half the value of the car. Has anyone went through this process before? I called the call center for my CU and they mentioned this is a more involved process than if the car were with a dealer. The price is right,I just dont know how you go about transferring an asset from one out of state credit union to mine.
    Last edited by JettatoCruze; 03-26-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Off-Road Champion
    It would be a good idea to contact both credit unions before initiating purchase. Find out what each requires in advance and make sure you know any additional fees required up front.

If you go through with the purchase, go with the seller to his/her credit union to complete the transaction. Make sure you and the seller have whatever DMV forms, inspection certificates, etc. with you before going to the CU so the transaction will be completed in one visit.
    2014 White Cruze Diesel, 3rd Owner, Bought 3/17 With ‘09 TDI Buyback $$$
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Cummins Dually, 245,000 Miles
    1987 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Suburban, 383 Stroker, North of 300,000 Miles
    Thank you Veterans!

Driver's Ed
    So I was thinking of making a new thread but I will try here- if I want to purchase said car from the owner's credit union, what are things to check for on these cars? Standard fluid levels are a given but are there any other items to check on these cars? Torn CV boots come to mind Rivergoer after reading about your bracket failure in another thread. Also, are the turbos on these cars fixed vane or variable?

The car in discussion just recently turned in over 40,000 miles. On a side note, does anyone know of a way to get a free/cheap Carfax? On Ls1tech there was a guy who had connections to get them done and I also had another number in my last phone to get them for a cheaper price. Anyone here have a hookup?
    Last edited by JettatoCruze; 03-31-2019 at 11:47 AM.
    Rivergoer likes this.

Driver's Ed
    Check the trans cooler lines for leaking, and ask if DEF Heater/tank have been replaced. Those are the only two issues I've had with my 2014. 85,000 miles.

I had an 06 Jetta TDI, mine was a manual. Mileage has been about the same for me in both (40mpg), almost 40 mile one was commute, mostly interstate. The transmission in the Cruze can be slow to downshift, it's aggravating to me, but I'm also fond of the DSG in my wife's '15 GTI.
    2014 Cruze Diesel Atlantis Blue Metallic
    2007 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax 200,000 miles and counting
    2004 Suburban Z71 200,000 miles and counting

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)