Idiot hit my Jetta. Need the ends and outs of the TDI Cruze.
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Idiot hit my Jetta. Need the ends and outs of the TDI Cruze.

Driver's Ed

Idiot hit my Jetta. Need the ends and outs of the TDI Cruze.

Hey guys. I've always been a GM guy and my 3 previous vehicles prior to my 06 Jetta were a Cavalier, a 99 SS Camaro, and my current toy, a H/C/I 98 Z28.

I was daily driving the Camaro but a Spec 3 clutch car with 4.10s and a roll cage inside getting 14mpg was not a practical vehicle so I got the 06 TDI Jetta and loved it. Low end torque, fun to drive, and great gas mileage without looking like a rolling dust buster like the Prius.

Some of the TDI guys on Mytorbodiesel and TDIClub migrated to the Cruze so I'm wondering if guys can give me perspectives on the 1st gen Cruzes- particularly if you've owned both cars. Unlike the Jetta which was a 3k cash in hand bargain buy, a purchase of a Cruze will be significant and involve a loan so I don't wipe out savings. Its a purchase I need to get right since it will be the first time I have ever had a car payment. My budget is anywhere from 7500 to 11,500 and is largely dependent upon the mileage.

Which brings me to my first question- is there a particular mileage to avoid? I've seen some list around 7k but they have 140,000 miles. When do the timing belts need to be replaced on these cars? Are there cases of early turbo or DMF failures? Are there issues with cam lobe wear like with the Jettas or high pressure fuel pump issues? My big decision is if its worth the additional 4-5 grand to get one with 50-60,000 miles on it instead. Also, being a GM product how absolute trash or prone to wear are the interiors? What are the most expensive wear components and what symptoms do I need to keep an eye on?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I've been toying with the purchase of a Cruze for a year or so and I may get forced to get one now- or at the least I need to find another very fuel efficient vehicle that is fun to drive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

all the problems have been emissions problems

delete it and youre good

for your budget, look at a gen1 volt as well

timing belt is 100k miles
    MP81, MRO1791 and Rivergoer like this.
    Hidden Content

2014 Cruze Diesel - White 140,000 km

1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 350,000 km
    1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 320,000 km

Off-Road Champion
    That 06 TDI was a great car! Bummer about the loss...those things are gold these days.

By all means get a Gen 1 Cruze Diesel, you’ll be super happy with it.

I took the buyout on my 09 TDI and after 50K on the CTD I think it’s superior to the VW (at least the Mark V, that DSG trans was junk...mine failed after 82K).

I put 181K on the TDI. It was a great car (aside from the trans issue) but in the back of my mind I was always stressed about the HPFP grenading...fortunately it didn’t before VW got caught cheating and bought it back.

No worries about the HPFP with the CTD. The Cruze 2.0 diesel is a proven platform from Europe. You should be able to find a ‘14 or ‘15 CTD with 60K or so in your price range pretty easily.

As mentioned, the only common Gen 1 CTD issues generally relate to emissions system.

Also, one additional factor to consider (may or not be a big deal) the Gen 1 Cruze Diesel did NOT come with a spare tire. The DEF tank is installed in the trunk where the spare is located on gas Cruze models.
    DslGate and MRO1791 like this.
    2014 White Cruze Diesel, 3rd Owner, Bought 3/17 With ‘09 TDI Buyback $$$
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Cummins Dually, 245,000 Miles
    1987 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Suburban, 383 Stroker, North of 300,000 Miles
    Thank you Veterans!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    I have a 2015, Gen 1. And 3 Gen 2 diesels in the family fleet, one is a manual. DMF failure is a valid concern, but Gen 2 and manual only. These are great cars. Having had both Gen 1 and Gen 2, I'd be looking for either, but prefer a deal on a Gen 2. There are some still out there, even new 2017s still on dealership lots. These were difficult to sell since the gas car also gets impressive MPG, at a much lower initial price. I also would not rule out new, yes it is more, but if you have to finance anyway, the interest rates are better for new vs. used.
    For Gen 1, most of the problem emissions issues did get extended warranty coverage, so that isn't a huge concern. I've had a few warranty repairs beyond BTB warranty on Gen 1.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Rivergoer likes this.
    2x 2018 Cruze TD (1- Manual, 1- Auto), 2017 Cruze TD Auto, 2015 Cruze TD, 2009 Dodge Ram Cummins, former 2012 VW Jetta TDI

2015 Chevy Cruze CTD 120K (DEF Tank Replaced)
    2013 Chevy Sonic 1.4T Hatch
    2005 GMC Yukon XL SLT 2500 8.1L(496 Big Block)

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Gen 2 diesel has a timing chain. Dual mass flywheel failures on the manual Gen 2 diesels are pretty common. Have not heard of any issues with the 9 speed autos *yet* in the Cruzes, but there seem to be a few teething/programming issues in the first year it was in gasoline engined GM products. The 9 speed shifts EXTREMELY smoothly compared to the 6-speed Aisin box in the Gen 1.

Gen 1 has a timing belt, and only came with the automatic. Emissions systems issues are relatively common; the transmission programming isn't the best, but other than that, a very solid powertrain. A small handful have had transmissions replaced for banging in/out of gear, but that seems to be pretty isolated.

The Gen 2 feels/sounds a little bit more like its normal gasoline powered Cruzen brethren, with a bit more torque when you punch it at 2000 RPM. The Gen 1 CTD is very quiet from inside, but very HEAVY feeling vehicle compared to the Gen 1 gasoline-powered cars. Also very noticeably a diesel from outside the car; the Gen 2 1.6 is somewhat noticeable, but way less tractor-sounding once warm.
    Last edited by jblackburn; 03-12-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    DslGate, MRO1791 and Rivergoer like this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Driver's Ed
    I have no problem with the sound of a diesel- they've grown on me. How long are the warranties on these cars? And the warranty follows the car, not the owner right? I'm talking to an out of state 2nd owner who has a 2014 available with just over 35,000 on the car. Price is 11,500 but the proximity to the emissions being out of warranty makes me cautious of the seller. Maybe I'm just paranoid? Also did GM use an 'Ecotec' engine cover even on the diesels? I always though that was the name for the engine GM put in the 3rd gen Cavaliers.

Quote Originally Posted by JettatoCruze View Post
    I have no problem with the sound of a diesel- they've grown on me. How long are the warranties on these cars? And the warranty follows the car, not the owner right? I'm talking to an out of state 2nd owner who has a 2014 available with just over 35,000 on the car. Price is 11,500 but the proximity to the emissions being out of warranty makes me cautious of the seller. Maybe I'm just paranoid? Also did GM use an 'Ecotec' engine cover even on the diesels? I always though that was the name for the engine GM put in the 3rd gen Cavaliers.
    yeah its an ECO car...so yeah there is the engine cover...lots was done to make the car appeal to NEW diesel buyers, making it quiet, triple windshield and extra door seals etc...
    Hidden Content

2014 Cruze Diesel - White 140,000 km

1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 350,000 km
    1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 320,000 km

It would be hard to find a 2014 with less than 35000 miles. That is pretty good IMO.

All GM engines seem to be called Ecotec now days.
    2018 Cruze Turbo Diesel 1.6L 9T50 LT
    2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel 2.0L AF40-6
    (Sold) 38.2MPG DIC Lifetime Average

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Driver's Ed
    Can anyone let me know about the warranty? Is the standard 60k miles or 100k?

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)