Front Struts
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Robby
  • 2 Post By BDCCruze

Thread: Front Struts

BDCCruze is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released

Front Struts

2014 CTD 112k

How much play should there be in the front struts on the upper bushing? I push a pry bar under the tires and pulled up. The bushing pushed up about a half inch on both sides. Is that normal?

Issue is I noticed this spring, with the windows down, a metal on metal or rattle sound when hitting small potholes while going pretty quick. It wasn't doing it in the fall. With the windows up the car sounds normal like nothing has changed.

Thing is, I had both front axles replaced in the fall and this is the first time I have ran the car with the windows down since. The axles make the same kind of noise when I push and pull on them that I'm hearing, so I don't know if it's struts or just now noticing noise from the new axles. Or something else? Everything else is tight and nothing is moving out of place when testing the front suspension. I've had two inspections done and neither place could identify a specific issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

The movement you describe is normal at the bushing end.

Try going over the same series of bumps with your foot lightly dragging the brakes......I almost think you are hearing the calipers rattling (anti rattle clips incorrectly positioned or forgotten at re-assembly during axle replacement) and if they are, they will not make a sound with the brakes dragging.

Rob
    [email protected] likes this.

BDCCruze is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    I'll try it out. Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

BDCCruze is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    Just to clarify, I can see the abutment clips are there on the brake pads. Is that what you are talking about when you say 'anti rattle clips"?

*EDIT*

This thread talks about something similar. They said to put new clips and pins on the caliper to fix the problem. I wonder if the techs that did my axles put the pin with the rubber sleeve the wrong position. It should be in the caliper position that the rotor turns into when moving forward if I remember correctly.

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/12-g...ise-bumps.html
    Last edited by BDCCruze; 06-06-2019 at 03:34 PM.

BDCCruze is offline [OP]
    Handbrake Released
    So today I did about 15 miles through town always keeping my foot on the brake over bumps and I never heard the sound except when my foot was off the brake. I think you are on to something and it would explain why a normal inspection is not finding anything.

I've already replaced my rotors, but my brake pads still look new at 110k (almost exlusive highway driving). I see GM sells a pad hardware kit for a few bucks. I may just pick on up and redo that and see if it fixes it. I'll update this thread after I get more information.
    revjpeterson and Rivergoer like this.

8. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)