2014 ECO-D Cruze will use UREA to meet EPA emissions
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 2014 ECO-D Cruze will use UREA to meet EPA emissions

70AARCUDA is offline [OP]

2014 ECO-D Cruze will use UREA to meet EPA emissions

...the new 2014 ECO-D 2.0L turbo diesel will use Adblue™ UREA to meet emission requirements:

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Preview - The Washington Post
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970½ Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Might not be to bad if the MPGs are right.

Why do journalists always put Americans on the "snob" list?

He states "European buyers, Federico said candidly, tolerate more engine and mechanical noise than do U.S. buyers."

That may have been true 20 yrs ago, but the target consumer for the Cruze is not the middle aged or the "nearly-deads". They're the ones who care about how "quiet" their car is. The only thing I want quiet in my car is my wife and kids. When they figure out how to accomplish that, I'll tolerate an open exhaust on a diesel.
    Sunline Fan likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Epic Beard Man

I like diesels and the prospect of a Cruze diesel coming to the US is what originally lured me to the 'dark side'. At the time, it seemed like the timeline would work well, to have delivery right about now. Well, as we've seen, that didn't quite work out as planned.

I'd be more than thrilled to open it up with an intake and exhaust, and do tuning to get rid of the need for urea. Urea is nothing to be scared of- at first it seemed a little intimidating in the 2011 Super Duty, but now they've got tuning to go around all that I believe. I'm glad I don't have all that added 'technology' to my engine, though. I convinced my dad to get his 2010 SD with the old diesel just for that reason. Intake+tune+exhaust=about 600 hp in a dual rear wheel truck!

In the end, I'm glad I went with the 1.4T. Besides that I don't care for the new body style that will no doubt be attached to EcoD, I think it will be cheaper and less maintenance to stick with the 1.4T. I'll just sacrifice that wonderful smell and sound.

I guess it just gives me even more motivation to get that diesel sitting into the garage swapped into the Excursion!
    Last edited by Sunline Fan; 09-24-2012 at 09:03 PM.
    Sold 06/2017: 2012 Cruze LTZ EcoRS 1.4L 6A, Autumn Metallic with Cocoa/Light Neutral, Built 2/23/2012!
    Some fun things, Hidden Content , RS/Turbo/Eco badges, Huskys, Hidden Content , Hidden Content , Korean sunglasses holder
    Hidden Content

70AARCUDA is offline [OP]
    ...rumor has it that the "new" Cruze body doesn't happen until the 2015 model year, so the mid-year 2014 ECO-D shouldn't be too much different than the 2011-2013 models.
    Sunline Fan likes this.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970½ Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

I'd say this crap pisses me off but its more this piss craps me off.

It's absolutely ridiculous that we need stuff like urea injection to meet the EPA emissions standards. Our emissions standards are even higher than Europe's.

If I was getting a diesel Cruze the first thing I'd do is tune it out.
    Hidden Content

'12 Cruze Eco 6M Topaz Blue

4th Gear
    The urea system will be a positive IMO. I had a Cummins that used agressive exhaust recirculation instead of urea and it was a disaster. Excessive soot would build up in the turbo and make the variable geometry mechanism stick. I had 14 CEL's on my truck before Chrysler bought it back. I think Cummins abandoned their method and adopted urea in later models.

I still don't see the Cruze diesel working out very well from an economics standpoint since diesel costs so much more than regular gas.

Considering many of us run premium in our Cruze's it's not that big a jump to diesel from there.

And how about just not using either one.
    Hidden Content

'12 Cruze Eco 6M Topaz Blue

I still don't see the Cruze diesel working out very well from an economics standpoint since diesel costs so much more than regular gas.
    Diesel in Phoenix costs about 14 cents more than premium unleaded. A gain of 10 mpg more than makes up for the cost difference.

European buyers, Federico said candidly, tolerate more engine and mechanical noise than do U.S. buyers.
    *sigh* This bovine exhaust again? None of the diesels I drove in Austria were noisy, even by US standards. American diesels (like the late, unlamented Jeep Liberty) are noisy because American manufacturers are unwilling to design quiet engines: keep 'em noisy and keep people sucking on the dino juice.

As for the main topic: MB has been using urea in their diesels for years. It's simply not an issue from a performance, maintenance, or environmental aspect.
    All advice, opinions, etc contained in this post are guaranteed to be worth exactly what you paid for them. All rights reserved. Offer not valid in some areas.Hidden Content

Handbrake Released
    diesel here in MO, costs about the same or less than premium.. usually runs anywhere from a few cents above regular to about what premium does.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now