Aftermarket intercooler questions - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Aftermarket intercooler questions

ProDigit is offline [OP]
    2nd Gear
    Explain exactly how higher octane is in any way going to affect performance on the cruze?
    That car isn't pinging. The engine block and air intake remain relatively balanced, regardless of the outside temperatures.

I already ran my car with Premium fuel.
    But Premium fuel from off brands like racetrack, Mobil, Esso, and other no name brands, do absolutely nothing performance wise.

The only 2 brands are BP and Shell, and that's not because the fuel is Hi-Octane.
    If anything, higher octane should lower MPG, when riding the car moderately, because it takes longer to combust.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    That car isn't pinging.
    The computer won't let it. As soon as it starts, it backs off the ignition timing and/or boost. But it will test from time to time to see if it can push it a little further.

You might also try different sparkplugs. The thread https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-ge...tion-gone.html shows that they can make a big difference as well.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

2nd Gear
    Explain exactly how higher octane is in any way going to affect performance on the cruze?
    That car isn't pinging. The engine block and air intake remain relatively balanced, regardless of the outside temperatures.

I already ran my car with Premium fuel.
    But Premium fuel from off brands like racetrack, Mobil, Esso, and other no name brands, do absolutely nothing performance wise.

The only 2 brands are BP and Shell, and that's not because the fuel is Hi-Octane.
    If anything, higher octane should lower MPG, when riding the car moderately, because it takes longer to combust.
    The Cruze was designed to run on premium. It has been confirmed multiple times before from factual data, not just anecdotal. The computer will pull timing and boost like crazy in hot weather with 87 octane to PREVENT pinging, hence the reason it's not. Higher octane gas does not take any appreciable amount of time longer to burn when ignited with a a spark plug. Higher octane can and will help your car's performance and gas mileage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    jblackburn likes this.
    2012 Silver Cruze 1LT A/T with the RS package Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Group B Rally Champion

I had to look it up: "The octane rating of gasoline essentially tells you how much the air-fuel mixture can be compressed before it will spontaneously ignite." In a small-block turbo charged car, air-fuel mixture will get compressed beyond what a normally aspirated engine would do. With a higher octane gas, the computer can be more aggressive about trying to get more power before having to pull back to prevent pinging.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Aftermarket intercooler questions

I put a tank of 87 in my 2012 a week or two ago just because I didn't want to go to the cheaper 93 oct station further away, but didn't want to pay the 90c/gallon difference at the station I went to.

Holy crap. Such a difference in power delivery at low RPM. The timing pull is immediately noticeable on the early engines, especially with the plugs that do let the car pick up lower in the RPM range without knocking. Power delivery up to about 3000 RPM just felt neutered.

So far the 16 doesn't seem to care. I'd love if it ran on 87 year round.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

ProDigit is offline [OP]
    2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by au201 View Post
    The Cruze was designed to run on premium. It has been confirmed multiple times before from factual data, not just anecdotal. The computer will pull timing and boost like crazy in hot weather with 87 octane to PREVENT pinging, hence the reason it's not. Higher octane gas does not take any appreciable amount of time longer to burn when ignited with a a spark plug. Higher octane can and will help your car's performance and gas mileage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Now THIS I can understand.
    It's a computer error then, since the cylinders and engine as a whole, really don't raise a degree at all.
    The cooling capabilities are spot on for the car.

I can think of 2 ways to solve it.
    1- Risky: Trick the computer to change the temp sensor, to make it believe the incoming air is actually colder than it is.

2- Safe: Somehow make the incoming air cooler.

Since a decent intercooler is too expensive, all I can think of, is a way to cool the air flowing from the Turbo to the intercooler.
    If that hose could be made from metal with fins on, it'll cool the air considerably!

For those who say that the stock intercooler is working well enough, it isn't.
    It's obvious to me, that the car works best, and pulls most at 75F.
    Anything above is degrading performance.
    At 85F there's still enough performance left to ride it like normal.
    At 90F there's a noticeable performance loss.
    At 95F it becomes annoying
    and at 100-105F you haven't got enough power to accelerate on the on-ramp of an interstate with the rest of traffic.

So if the intercooler was doing it's job, the computer won't have to need to compensate for the heat.
    but it does.

Anyone has any more experience with parts that could cool the air better than the stock intercooler system, by cooling down air coming from the turbo into the intercooler?

6th Gear
    For those who say that the stock intercooler is working well enough, it isn't.
    It's obvious to me, that the car works best, and pulls most at 75F.
    Anything above is degrading performance.
    At 85F there's still enough performance left to ride it like normal.
    At 90F there's a noticeable performance loss.
    At 95F it becomes annoying
    and at 100-105F you haven't got enough power to accelerate on the on-ramp of an interstate with the rest of traffic.
    That's because the ambient air temperature is higher. As @ChevyGuy said, the intercooler cannot cool the intake temp below the outside air temperature. A bigger intercooler, more fins, metal pipes, heat wrap, nothing will cool it below the outside air temperature. Even if you spent $1000 upgrading the intake system, you will still get better performance when the outside air temp is around 65-75.

Anyone has any more experience with parts that could cool the air better than the stock intercooler system, by cooling down air coming from the turbo into the intercooler?
    You could setup a system to spray cold water onto the intercooler. Check this out.

https://www.enginebasics.com/Advance...0Sprayers.html
    2014 1LT, AT, All Star Edition, "Libby"
    Champagne Silver Metallic

Hidden Content

ProDigit is offline [OP]
    2nd Gear
    Well,
    I highly doubt that the intercooler cooling down the air to ambient is staying cool, when it has a Turbocharger on one end, compressing air in, making the entire cooling element heat up.
    THe air coming in the engine has to be at least several tens of degrees hotter than ambient, and more so, the higher the outside temperatures become.
    Delta T increases as outside temp increases.
    And while I totally believe that up to 75-80F the temperature coming in the engine is pretty much hand warm, any outside temps above that, and the air coming in the car becomes hot.

I was more looking into perhaps pre-intercooler tubing that could cool down the air a bit before it enters the intercooler.
    Doesn't have to be much. Perhaps 1ft of metal pipe, where a sink can be clipped or welded/soldered on.
    Last edited by ProDigit; 03-14-2017 at 11:48 PM.

6th Gear
    Well,
    I highly doubt that the intercooler cooling down the air to ambient is staying cool, when it has a Turbocharger on one end, compressing air in, making the entire cooling element heat up.
    That's actually the great thing about having an OBDII reader and the Torque app. The torque app can actually show you the air temperature at the intake and charged air temp after the intercooler. You can actually see how well it is doing. On my Cruze, there is usually about 2-3 degrees difference between the air intake and the charged air temperatures. It does go higher when I sit at a stop light, but even a larger intercooler won't fix that. But a sprayer might. I have actually considered making a sprayer a couple times. It would be nice to spray down the intercooler after sitting for a couple minutes at a light.
    2014 1LT, AT, All Star Edition, "Libby"
    Champagne Silver Metallic

Hidden Content

ProDigit is offline [OP]
    2nd Gear
    have you tested it out at 100+ F outside temps?

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)