USB Port - Device Not Found with USB Stick
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: USB Port - Device Not Found with USB Stick

damacman is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

USB Port - Device Not Found with USB Stick

Hello,

My fiance has a 2012 Cruze LT. She recently had her iPod stolen, so I bought her a 32 GB PNY thumb drive and put 25 GB of music on it for her. It worked great for one day. Now, when she tries to use it, it plays for about one minute before switching to the radio and alerts "No supported data found. You can safely disconnect the device. Done"

Now, we have been able to get it to index and work correctly on a few outings, but for the most part it behaves as above. Any suggestions? All files are .mp3 and it does have a folder hierarchy (artist > album > song) which works great when it works.

Thanks!
    Tony

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

World Rally Champion
    Sydney, Australia, Suburb called Lalor Park.
    When you have this problem sometimes if you push the CD/AUX button it will re-connect?
    Hidden Content
    2012 Holden Cruze CDX Diesel, Nitrate Silver,
    Tinted windows, SRI-V wheels. Built July 2012, MY13 model

Banned

Had that problem with my 12 2LT, the USB cable wasn't pushed in all the way at the rear of the radio. Is it possible that same guy, Joe Weakfingers, pushed in yours too?
    EcoDave likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    damacman,

You have already received great input from the forum members. Just a reminder, you can always contact our infotainment team for more information. They can be reached at 855-478-7767, seven days a week, 8a- 10p EST.

Erica Tiffany
    Chevrolet Customer Care

Driver's Ed
    I would re format the dive use fat 32 and try again, you could have got a bad drive too, oh and a drive formatted to NTFS does not work on the cruze.
    Jim Frye likes this.

Banned

Still using Windows XP, only choice to format a USB Drive is FAT 32. Can't recommend ebay for drives, received two counterfeits. But don't even make it as far as the Cruze, won't work on the computer either. Then Officemax is always have them on sale. Just picked up a Verbatim 16GB for six bucks.

And if it doesn't work can return it. Yet another problem is downloading MP3's off the net. Many contain a virus or are protected, just copy and convert my own CD's to solve that problem.

In Windows explorer, use to be a far more intelligent file manager, can create my own directories, sub directories, and even sub-sub directories using the album names. With the Cruze, look for folder view, then the name of the author, then the name of the album, then even the name of the song I want to hear. Cruze has a great MP3 player.

Or just hit play all and see what comes up next.

Handbrake Released
    I put a USB stick in mine the other day - after listening to an album, I switched over to XM. When I got to my destination I pulled the stick out and noticed it was pretty hot - I've never noticed a USB stick get hot like that. I wonder whether there's a problem with the USB line.

Touring Champion
    OP: In addition to doing a complete, hard format of the flash drive in FAT32, make sure there is nothing in the root directory of the drive. Some manufacturers put/hide software there and if it is present, it can cause car audio systems not to be able to read the device. I've seen many forum posts complaining of issues with PNY drives. For me, I've had no issues with SanDisk Cruzer drives of any size. I take the extra step and use CCleaner to wipe the entire drive prior to using my PC to format the stick to FAT32.

I think the problem with some sticks not being usable in auto systems is that the sticks are different internally, and automotive firmware can not handle the differences the way a PC operating system can. Often the ultimate fix is to try a different brand of flash drive.

Added thought again. Make sure the tracks you are putting on the stick are in a format that the audio system itself supports. I seem to remember it is stated in the OM.
    Last edited by Jim Frye; 08-04-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added thoughts
    2017 Milano Red Fit EX-L with w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In

60.000 Mi., Avg. MPG: 32 City; 44 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.
    I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
    "I have everything I need and nothin' that I don't" (Zac Brown)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NYCruizer View Post
    I put a USB stick in mine the other day - after listening to an album, I switched over to XM. When I got to my destination I pulled the stick out and noticed it was pretty hot - I've never noticed a USB stick get hot like that. I wonder whether there's a problem with the USB line.
    Or more likely, with the stick itself. Try it in your computer.

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Or more likely, with the stick itself. Try it in your computer.
    Not a problem in either of my PC's, my laptop nor my Raspberry Pi running OpenElec. To test your theory, I plugged it into my main PC and transferred 10Gb of MP4 videos while playing the same album. The stick did warm up a few degrees but cooled back down after the transfer while still plugged in. While plugged into the Cruze it was warmer even though it hadn't been accessed in over 40 minutes and the compartment in the armrest was cool.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)