Auto Stop/Start in 2018 models - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Auto Stop/Start in 2018 models

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by jsnowbordr47 View Post
    What would y'all say is acceptable in terms of jerkiness of the auto stop/start system? At times mine is seamless, but at other time the car jerks noticeably. Is that something others are noticing?
    Mine gets jerky when it's on a hill, or when it's been heat-soaked in stop-and-go traffic. This car just hates traffic jams as a whole - the transmission gets super jerky (I suspect the fluid isn't being cooled enough).
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    I am the OP of this threat. I end up buying a 2017 LT Manual. DSC04320.JPG

Nice looking car. I like that color on the sedan with the RS package.
    Eric H.
    '18 Cruze Diesel Hatch (6-sp) • '14 Cruze Turbo Diesel
    '14 CTS-V Wagon • '08 Cobalt SS (GMPP S1)
    '81 & '85 Chevy Citation X-11 • '93 Olds Achieva SCX W41 (x2)
    '90 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix (ASC/McLaren) • '99 Olds Aurora
    plus a Neon, Focus, and some other projects...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    I'm actually surprised you found a leftover 17 with a manual, and not a LS. Congrats, looks GREAT!!!

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by neile300c View Post
    I'm actually surprised you found a leftover 17 with a manual, and not a LS. Congrats, looks GREAT!!!
    It was the last one on the lot. I was surprised too.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post

There SHOULD be a delay of a few seconds before it shuts down, though. I think that would alleviate a lot of complaints - mine as well.

Bingo. As long as it doesn't fail to restart, my complaints could be resolved by a 3 second delay.
    I'm reasonably sure [email protected] has already done this for some customers.
    (EDIT: it was my mistake going by memory and not verifying this with Jerry before my purchase. He has informed me that he cannot add a delay to the shutdown in his LE2 tune)

Stop sign, no cross traffic? I'll have my foot off the brake in under 3 seconds and avoid a unnecessary stop.
    Parking and shutting down? I'll shift into park within 3 seconds of stopping and avoid a unnecessary stop/restart.
    Last edited by Taxman; 04-22-2019 at 02:11 PM.
    2017 Cruze LT RS
    2016 Cruze LT with Sun&Sound

Driver's Ed
    I can only speak for myself, so allow me to explain. I am 53 y/o and quite mechanically inclined. In the 1980's I worked in an Auto Electric shop, rebuilding starters and alternators. From the knowledge I gained from that experience, I have learned that auto manufacturers design their equipment to be mass produced as cheaply as possible. So, allow me to put that in other terms; Let's say the starter is designed to operate 10,000 cycles. If I use up 5,000 of those cycles needlessly, at stoplights, for example, I have cut the life of that starter in half. This, and not to mention the added stresses this put on the battery. I will say that my 2017 Cruze has a large battery in it, so there has been some consideration for that future problem. But I still would like to disable the feature. I don't want to be at a stoplight when the battery decides its lifetime is over.

5th Gear
    I know the engine and transmission had modifications to handle the start/stop. (surface treatments on engine bearings and a fluid pressure accumulator in the transmission).

I believe the starter was appropriately beefed up too.
    jblackburn likes this.
    2017 Cruze LT RS
    2016 Cruze LT with Sun&Sound

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    I know the engine and transmission had modifications to handle the start/stop. (surface treatments on engine bearings and a fluid pressure accumulator in the transmission).

I believe the starter was appropriately beefed up too.
    Yup.

Additionally, the batteries are AGM technology that can handle lots of short charge/discharge cycles, and the car has a capacitor it saves up charge in to fire off the starter again.

I wouldn't worry about it if you are just trying to prevent failure. Failure rates on vehicles with starters designed for this heavy duty work have been very low (for instance hybrid vehicles).

However, I have had some people that drive my car tell me it annoys them, which I do totally understand.
    MP81 likes this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)