White smoke puff from grill at stop light.
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: White smoke puff from grill at stop light.

newsguy99 is offline [OP]
    2nd Gear

White smoke puff from grill at stop light.

Well, today, it happened... Drove to a delivery drop off from an Interstate at around 70ish mph... Come to the top of the exit ramp, stop light... Stop... White puff of smoke comes from the grill area...
    I thought, it might of been the truck in front of me.. So, didn't think much of it... Drove a bit more down the road (40ish mph), stopped at another stop light.. More white smoke.. Now, I'm starting to worry.

Get to my delivery.. get out of the car and open the hood, car is still running.. No smoke, no leaks I can see, and there's still plenty of coolant in the reserve.. Leave the hood up while I finished the delivery up, and turned the car off.

Got back in... Car started, and ran fine... However, at my next stop, again, more white smoke. Now, its not a lot.. its just a small puff.. But worrying.

By this time, I'm now on the DIC screen with my temp... Its reading from 210, to 220 max... and then goes up and down between those.. While stopped at a light, or coasting, it goes into the 190s...

Is this a sign the turbo has some oil in it, and nothing more? Or is the thermostat stuck, or could it be a water pump issue?

Taking it into the dealership tomorrow morning, so they can look at it. And, when I went to capture it on my cell phone camera, luck would have it... It wouldn't do it. Suggestions? Comments?
    This is my first turbo car... so, I'm clueless about it...

I've also noticed a much louder than normal ticking as the engine is running... could this be spark plug gap related?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

World Rally Champion
    Sydney, Australia, Suburb called Lalor Park.
    Does the smoke just keep rising up or does it evaporate quite quickly?
    Hidden Content
    2012 Holden Cruze CDX Diesel, Nitrate Silver,
    Tinted windows, SRI-V wheels. Built July 2012, MY13 model

2nd Gear
    real quick.. just a puff.. its white... and then nothing at all...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I don't see how it could be the turbo for the fact if it was consuming oil or coolant, the smoke or steam would either be ingested into the intake or blown out into the exhaust. Unless you have a leak in the Intake tubing or in the intercooler somewhere and you have a bad turbo to boot, but it seems unlikely.

The operating temps seem to be fine.
    Hidden Content

2013 Cruze ECO Silver Ice Slushbox with MyLink. AKA "Silver Slushie"
    2006 Polaris FST (Four Stroke Turbo) with ECU Reflash. 165 HP from a 750CC Engine. Turbos = Fun

Mod's
    Resonator Delete
    Gapped Plugs
    Tint - 35%
    Fog Lights - SpyderAuto.com
    Dipped Badges, Letters, Lower Intake and Rear Diffuser Panel
    $16 Chinese Mud Flaps

Hidden Content

could it be condensation from the A/C dripping on something hot?
    Hidden Content
    2011 Taupe Grey Metallic ECO M6 (Hidden Content - Hidden Content )

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsys View Post
    could it be condensation from the A/C dripping on something hot?
    don't think it is.. I've never noticed it doing this before... After it happened the 2nd time.. I turned the a/c off, just to make sure..

hmmm well from what you have described it almost has to be water, the olny other thing i can think of would be coolant leaking from the rad area. I would get a dye kit and check it out. It could be a small enough leak that you don't notice the level drop
    Hidden Content
    2011 Taupe Grey Metallic ECO M6 (Hidden Content - Hidden Content )

Start checking for signs of wetness around all of the cooling hoses and lines going to the expansion tank. Also another thought I had, is that the modern radiator is constructed of an aluminum core with plastic tanks on the sides. It's possible that one of the tanks has a crack in it and your seeing some steam escaping from it. This is just a guess though. Jeep/Chrysler had this issue with the Liberty's where the tanks would actually split and cause a major coolant loss.

I would take a piece of cardboard and put in under the car and let it sit overnight and check for any leaks.
    Hidden Content

2013 Cruze ECO Silver Ice Slushbox with MyLink. AKA "Silver Slushie"
    2006 Polaris FST (Four Stroke Turbo) with ECU Reflash. 165 HP from a 750CC Engine. Turbos = Fun

Mod's
    Resonator Delete
    Gapped Plugs
    Tint - 35%
    Fog Lights - SpyderAuto.com
    Dipped Badges, Letters, Lower Intake and Rear Diffuser Panel
    $16 Chinese Mud Flaps

Hidden Content

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Originally Posted by newsguy99Well, today, it happened... Drove to a delivery drop off from an Interstate at around 70ish mph... Come to the top of the exit ramp, stop light... Stop... White puff of smoke comes from the grill area...
    I thought, it might of been the truck in front of me.. So, didn't think much of it... Drove a bit more down the road (40ish mph), stopped at another stop light.. More white smoke.. Now, I'm starting to worry.

Get to my delivery.. get out of the car and open the hood, car is still running.. No smoke, no leaks I can see, and there's still plenty of coolant in the reserve.. Leave the hood up while I finished the delivery up, and turned the car off.

Got back in... Car started, and ran fine... However, at my next stop, again, more white smoke. Now, its not a lot.. its just a small puff.. But worrying.

By this time, I'm now on the DIC screen with my temp... Its reading from 210, to 220 max... and then goes up and down between those.. While stopped at a light, or coasting, it goes into the 190s...

Is this a sign the turbo has some oil in it, and nothing more? Or is the thermostat stuck, or could it be a water pump issue?

Taking it into the dealership tomorrow morning, so they can look at it. And, when I went to capture it on my cell phone camera, luck would have it... It wouldn't do it. Suggestions? Comments?
    This is my first turbo car... so, I'm clueless about it...

I've also noticed a much louder than normal ticking as the engine is running... could this be spark plug gap related?
    Hey Newsguy99,

I'm sorry to read that you are having this issue. Please follow up with us after your trip to the dealership and let us know what the results are.

Marlea Wilson
    Chevrolet Customer Service

Retired Moderator

Have the dealer add ultraviolet (UV) dye to the coolant. Then track the level over the next few weeks.

Another possibility is that you were seeing water condensing on the low-pressure side of the A/C, and somehow getting kicked onto something hot.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Hidden Content
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)