coolant bubbling back in coolant reservoir.....
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By obermd

Thread: coolant bubbling back in coolant reservoir.....

Pete391 is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

coolant bubbling back in coolant reservoir.....

I just replaced the water outlet on the drivers side of my 2012 1.4L cruze..It had a hairline crack and would drip coolant...Now when the engine gets up to operating temp and when I shut it off you can hear coolant gurgling in top of outlet I just replaced and its kinda spiting some coolant back in the reservoir until it cools off a little..The engine doesnt overheat...It stays at the mark before the one at the very bottom of the temp gauge...never did it before I changed the water outlet...coolant level is about an inch from the top of the reservoir...Any ideals what I did wrong..I checked it the last few days and no leaks I can find...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

It's air in the coolant lines from changing the tank. It's nearly impossible to fill the Cruze's coolant and get all the air bubbles out so they work their way out as you drive. You'll need to put more coolant in in a few weeks simply to replace the air that's worked it's way out of the system.
    jblackburn likes this.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Driver's Ed
    my coolant was making a bubbling noise when when i start the car, the oil cooler was mixing oil into the coolant, that could be the issue as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    disregard you have a 1.4

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    disregard you have a 1.4
    my coolant was making a bubbling noise when when i start the car, the oil cooler was mixing oil into the coolant, that could be the issue as well.
    We've had reports of the 1.4T engines doing this as well. In this case OP's symptoms are of air in the cooling system as a result of replacing a leaking water outlet. This is a very common issue with the Cruze's cooling system as there are several "high" points where air can collect. While you drive the coolant motion will force air bubbles out of those points and the air is eventually returned to the surge tank. When this happens coolant spite out of the return line.
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    We've had reports of the 1.4T engines doing this as well. In this case OP's symptoms are of air in the cooling system as a result of replacing a leaking water outlet. This is a very common issue with the Cruze's cooling system as there are several "high" points where air can collect. While you drive the coolant motion will force air bubbles out of those points and the air is eventually returned to the surge tank. When this happens coolant spite out of the return line.
    Yea i'm no expert just took a guess.

When oil mixes with coolant should i change my oil again? i just changed it a month ago.. i don't see coolant traces in the oil.

Administrator

Yea i'm no expert just took a guess.

When oil mixes with coolant should i change my oil again? i just changed it a month ago.. i don't see coolant traces in the oil.
    Oil should never mix with the coolant. Even though it hasn't visibly reoccurred I'd keep a close eye on your coolant - oil mixing with coolant is a sign of a major problem.

Driver's Ed
    seems like a common problem with the cruzes
    based on this video although mine wasn't anywhere as bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bCllbBcRcY&t=427s

this was basically my problem, i was asking should i have my oil changed the mechanic in this seems like he doesn't change it.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 02-10-2019 at 10:42 AM.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)