2014 Cruze ltz
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2014 Cruze ltz

Plenhart91 is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

2014 Cruze ltz

I have a 2014 Chevy Cruze ltz. Bought it with around 43,000 miles. I have kept up with oil changes and always used Mobil 1 synthetic. Well over 2 mothers ago my girlfriend used my car to go to work and hit a deer. We took it into have the body work done. We went to pick the car up it was fine. They told us we needed to get new tires on it cause the insides are in bad shape. Well we have had a bad winter in Wisconsin. So we parked the car in our driveway till we had a good day to take it and have new tires put on. So it sat maybe 3 to 4 weeks. Went and remote started it. Got ready and went out to leave. I was pulling out and got a low oil pressure turn car off immediately. So I did that. Did a little research and read on this site about the issue. Read some stuff about changing the oil filter some are faulty. So I went ahead and changed filter and the oil. Checked to make sure nothing was stuck or lodged in the filter housing. While putting the new filter in I noticed the car had no coolant and all over under the oil cooler on top of the transmission. So I just gave up and had it towed to the dealer. Well they had it and said the motor won’t turn over I must have ran it out of oil and it’s gonna cost 789.00 to take it apart and find what’s wrong with it. Every time I tried to tell them what I noticed on the car with the coolant gone and all over by the oil cooler. They told me, you are not a mechanic. it’s not our fault you never checked the oil and that just cause you do regular oil changes doesn’t mean don’t check it. I check my oil pretty often. I’m very frustrated cause I have never had a check engine light come on with this car. No prior warnings nothing. Car always drove fine always started right up. I called gm and told them my situation and he said that this make and model is known for the water pump to go bad and everything I was telling him pretty much showed up as a concern to gm. But there is nothing he can do about it. Even the next person above him would tell me the same thing . So if the water pump went bad and caused the issue. They would replace the water pump free of charge and refund my money. But they will not cover the motor that will have to come out of my pocket. Along with the all the other cost I have now. Is there anything else I could do other then tow my car back home and let it sit in the driveway? The car only has 74,238 miles on it. I’m just let down that the car never had any warnings or light come up on the dash. I have never had a car give no prior warnings or symptoms. I should have stuck with Mazda’s or Nissans. Cause I feel the dealer is no help or gm them selfs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Off-Road Champion
    $789 seems high just to diagnose the concern.

Normally I pay about $125-150 for diagnosis and estimated repair cost. Then I have the option to pay to fix it (with the diagnostic fee applied to repair) or pay the diagnostic fee and take the car home without repair.

Do you have another GM dealer you can try?
    2014 White Cruze Diesel, 3rd Owner, Bought 3/17 With ‘09 TDI Buyback $$$
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Cummins Dually, 245,000 Miles
    1987 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Suburban, 383 Stroker, North of 300,000 Miles
    Thank you Veterans!

Driver's Ed
    Yes we have another one about 20 mins away. But I just don’t wanna keep paying a tow truck to move the car from place to place. I still have 2 months left on the warranty and I feel like I’m getting the run around. If I would have known and did my research on the whole water pump issue I would have kept a better eye on it. It’s something I would have been paranoid about honestly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Plenhart91 View Post
    I have a 2014 Chevy Cruze ltz. Bought it with around 43,000 miles. I have kept up with oil changes and always used Mobil 1 synthetic. Well over 2 mothers ago my girlfriend used my car to go to work and hit a deer. We took it into have the body work done.

We went to pick the car up it was fine. They told us we needed to get new tires on it cause the insides are in bad shape. Well we have had a bad winter in Wisconsin. So we parked the car in our driveway till we had a good day to take it and have new tires put on. So it sat maybe 3 to 4 weeks.

Went and remote started it. Got ready and went out to leave. I was pulling out and got a low oil pressure turn car off immediately. So I did that. Did a little research and read on this site about the issue. Read some stuff about changing the oil filter some are faulty. So I went ahead and changed filter and the oil. Checked to make sure nothing was stuck or lodged in the filter housing. While putting the new filter in I noticed the car had no coolant and all over under the oil cooler on top of the transmission. So I just gave up and had it towed to the dealer.

Well they had it and said the motor won’t turn over I must have ran it out of oil and it’s gonna cost 789.00 to take it apart and find what’s wrong with it. Every time I tried to tell them what I noticed on the car with the coolant gone and all over by the oil cooler. They told me, you are not a mechanic. it’s not our fault you never checked the oil and that just cause you do regular oil changes doesn’t mean don’t check it. I check my oil pretty often. I’m very frustrated cause I have never had a check engine light come on with this car. No prior warnings nothing. Car always drove fine always started right up.

I called gm and told them my situation and he said that this make and model is known for the water pump to go bad and everything I was telling him pretty much showed up as a concern to gm. But there is nothing he can do about it. Even the next person above him would tell me the same thing . So if the water pump went bad and caused the issue. They would replace the water pump free of charge and refund my money. But they will not cover the motor that will have to come out of my pocket. Along with the all the other cost I have now.

Is there anything else I could do other then tow my car back home and let it sit in the driveway? The car only has 74,238 miles on it. I’m just let down that the car never had any warnings or light come up on the dash. I have never had a car give no prior warnings or symptoms. I should have stuck with Mazda’s or Nissans. Cause I feel the dealer is no help or gm them selfs.
    Welcome Aboard!

If you cannot find another GM dealer as @Rivergoer suggests, I would consider buying a motor from LKQ - Milwaukee and either install it yourself or find someone who will do it for a fair price. I would let them put in a new water pump before I towed it home. That way you have a spare one.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Driver's Ed
    Yeah I’ve been looking into that option as well. Just kinda dumbfounded that I have had no warnings with this car. Cause if I had it would have been to the shop right away. Just seems like a car with this many sensors would have thrown a code of some sort before the motor would have gotten to hot.

4th Gear
    Why is the motor not turning over? You said it ran for you...

Do they want to tear down the engine, they are saying it's seized? And you still have time and mileage left on the powertrain warranty? If it's engine internal it should be covered.

Sounds like you need to get more people involved. If you have warranty this stuff should be covered of it's mechanical...Whether the oil pump caused it, or the water pump, anything internal is powertrain. And if you can provide any kind of receipts showing you maintained the car they won't have anything to stand on to make you pay for it. They'd have to prove your negligence or they accident caused the issue.

They can't just claim you ran it out of oil and say it's your fault. Especially if it showed up with oil in it. You did have oil in it when you got it towed there didn't you?
    Last edited by Ma v e n; 04-13-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    Blasirl likes this.

Learning about my Cruze
    The accident may have caused your problems?

Drag Racing Champion
    Doesn't sound like there was oil in it.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
    Well if it all leaked out due to a failure, it's also likely covered.

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma v e n View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
    Well if it all leaked out due to a failure, it's also likely covered.
    That don't sound like the case. He mentions water. And sounds like it went in without oil.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)