Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Acceptable dealer repair times

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  snowwy66 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I'd like to start with that I'm in Canada and we arnt protected by lemon laws like you have in the states. I wish we did because I'm at the point now where I'd get a full refund for my car lol.

Anyways about 4 weeks ago I brought my fully loaded 2017 Cruze Diesel to the dealer because of a dead clutch pedal. The dealer warned me if the issue was the clutch id be on the hook for repaires. Knowing it was a hydraulic pressure issue I agreed. After having the car for a day I had to call them to get an update on what was wrong with it. They explained they would have to order parts and I should have my car back within 7-10 days and they would give me a rental car at 12:30pm the next day. Next day comes along I get a ride to the rental car place and they don't have any cars so I leave and then before they close call again and they've finally found me a car at 6pm. I head back in to receive a base model sonic. The car sucked, it was gutless, loud and extremely uncomfortable on my back the 2+ hours a day I have to sit in traffic. I called the next day and asked if I could be upgraded and they said they would call me when they got a Malibu in stock.

Fast forward 3 weeks and after calling in twice a week for updates I keep getting the "parts aren't in yet we will let you know when it's ready". I finally started to loose my temper and explained to the manager that I shouldn't be having to chase them for updates and that I wanted to know when my car would be ready. He explained the parts (slave cylinder) are on backorder and they should arrive next week (this week). I explained I wasn't happy about the car I was given and he called the rental place and "upgraded" me to a base model Cruze. Not really the equivalent or better then the car I bought I was expecting bit whatever it's better then the sonic.

It's now been 4 weeks and I call in for updates again and I'm told they are still waiting on parts and it probably won't be ready this week. If that's not bad enough he explianed they wanted to get a head start on the job and pulled the tranny yesterday and due to dried on mud under the carcar mak the job harder they want to bill me for 1.5 hours of shop labour ($225). After all this headache I'm shocked they would have the nerve to even try something like that. I examined if he wants to start billing each other for inconvenience then I want 2 days of missed wages because of not having a car, the difference in loan payments between a fully loaded Cruze Diesel and a base model sonic, and the increased running costs attributed to using a vehicle that consumes 50% more of a fuel that is 25% more expenwive. We can round down to $1000 and you can cut me a check for $750 when you are ready. No reply to that ��

Today I called Chevy Canada and filed a complaint against the dealer which is going to be investigated . Km skeptical my car will even be fixed next week making this a 5+ week repair for a $40 slave cylinder. My question is should I be entitled to any kind of compensation for the hassle this has caused me? I'm pissed off with how the dealer has handled my case, I don't even care to get the car back knowing this is the kind of customer service I'm going to have to deal with for the next 5.5 years of warranty. At the very least im planning to cancel my extended warranty. I read a news article about a man who was trying to get a new ecu for his Chrysler truck in Toronto for 8 weeks and he was given a full refund for the vehicle. Is there any chance of getting something like that if I push hard enough? Am I overreacting or is this something that would warrant me loosing my ****?

https://globalnews.ca/news/3277369/...-after-long-wait-for-repair-global-news-story

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds to me like you need to talk to either a lawyer or to the media.

#3 ·
Have you researched the availability of the slave cylinder. If it is truly backordered then it is what it is right? As far as the loaner goes, some here might tell you to be happy that you actually have wheels under your butt at all. Though you own a high end Cruze, it's still just a Cruze. Better to read the fine print of your contract to see what they are required to provide. Personally, I've found that unchecked frustration leads to anger which in turn leads to an attitude towards customer service that does not speed anything up. So be a good Canadian and say you are sorry, pop a couple of Xanax, and wait for your reply from Chevy Canada. Maybe send send your mechanic a case of Labatts!

#4 ·
...and sorry if that wasn't what you wanted to here. Maybe a Delete/Tune? I heard that resolves all Cruze diesel problems:eek:ccasion14::eek:ccasion14:

#5 ·
So you think I'm completely overreacting and I should apologize for being upset because of lost wages, added expenses and that they want to charge me $225 for a warranty repair because of dried mud underneath the car? The rental car thing is what it is but in my opinion they should be obligated to give me the equivalent or better, not the cheapest crappiest rental they can find.

Putting their customer service skills aside is the dealer not obligated to make a repair in a reasonable amount of time? The car is 1.5 years old, it should even be needing to be in the shop at all. At what point is considered excessive and I should be compensated? 1 month? 6 months? 2 years? If this was the states with your lemon laws within 1.5 years and after 30 days at the dealer I would be compensated for the value of the vehicle. I'm right at the end of that limit but fall into it within a couple weeks.

It's also a gen 2 there are no tunes or deletes on the market I am aware of nor would that help with a clutch issue

#7 ·
The wanting to charge you $225 for additional labour do to dried mud sounds like complete bullshit. It's another thing if you had installed something on the vehicle that was in the way of the repair. That they had to remove and reinstall. But that isn't the case. Just sounds like they were trying to scam you.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
No, right now I think you need a Xanax. The apology statement was a joke because you live in the Great White North dude. It was a freaking joke. As was the tune/delete reference. Perhaps you only understand French Canadian sarcasm eh? LOL. Now take off, eh!

#6 ·
Per the Chevrolet Canada warranty you're not entitled to any reimbursement for any expenses or losses incurred.

Per the warranty alternate transportation will be provided. Being equivalent isn't a thing. Also see initial point regarding costs/expenses.

It sounds like you need to be making a bigger stink on the phone to Canadian Customer Care. 5 weeks is ridiculous I can't believe there's not a single slave cylinder in North America. The additional fee for a muddy car is also atrocious. Your dealer has huge balls, and no couth.
I have never in nearly 2 decades in a GM garage once asked a customer for money on a warranty repair. In the USA I believe it's actually against GM corporate policy. Even when a vehicle has customer installed mods, like lift kits, crazy bumpers and grilles, or police vehicles with huge unwieldy center consoles and dozens of meters of wiring added.

#8 ·
The customer care case worker just called. He's going to contact the dealer and find out what's going on. Apparently their policy for backordered parts is "it's fixed when it's fixed", he refused to go into any details about compensation even if it takes 6 months the. I also found out I don't have extended warranty so they aren't even obligated to provide a car. Despite paying $4500 for extended warranty. Apparently the original dealer signed me up for some stupid 3rd party warranty without my knowledge. Sure probably my fault for not paying enough attention when I bought the car but when I ask for extended warranty I'm not talking about some shitty 3rd party company to provide it ��. Im now waiting to hear back from the dealer I bought the car from so I can find out what the deal with the warranty is, hoping it has some kind of buyout claws for repairs that take an unacceptable amount of time. Honestly at this point I'm not even interested in getting the car back. I'd be happy to get my purchase price minus depreciation back at this point, I really want nothing to do with GMC if this is what warranty work is going to be like. I'm better off getting a beater and fixing it myself. Any other car a slave would have cost me $40 and taken me an afternoon to swap out. I got a new car because I was lazy and didnt Want to have to fix my cars anymore

#11 ·
The customer care case worker just called. He's going to contact the dealer and find out what's going on. Apparently their policy for backordered parts is "it's fixed when it's fixed", he refused to go into any details about compensation even if it takes 6 months the. I also found out I don't have extended warranty so they aren't even obligated to provide a car. Despite paying $4500 for extended warranty. Apparently the original dealer signed me up for some stupid 3rd party warranty without my knowledge. Sure probably my fault for not paying enough attention when I bought the car but when I ask for extended warranty I'm not talking about some shitty 3rd party company to provide it ��. Im now waiting to hear back from the dealer I bought the car from so I can find out what the deal with the warranty is, hoping it has some kind of buyout claws for repairs that take an unacceptable amount of time. Honestly at this point I'm not even interested in getting the car back. I'd be happy to get my purchase price minus depreciation back at this point, I really want nothing to do with GMC if this is what warranty work is going to be like. I'm better off getting a beater and fixing it myself. Any other car a slave would have cost me $40 and taken me an afternoon to swap out. I got a new car because I was lazy and didnt Want to have to fix my cars anymore

I'm sure you wouldn't have these problems from a Canadian car, eh?

#16 ·
What I read about lemon laws was for vehicles that are under 1.5 years old and 30,000 miles I think is what it said. It said vehicles that had been in the shop multiple times and have exceeded 30 days total are considered lemons. I'm like down to the week to fall into that category. Regard it's not applicable in this country where dealers can basically treat you however they want and void your warranty at the drop of a hat.

I have looked into camvap and was thinking of giving them a call. I did email a local news crew asking for help.

I found my bill and the info about the extended warranty. It was $2600, then I paid another $2000 for replacement insurance. The warranty is through fcpp. I called them today and they basically offer nothing beyond the manufacturer warranty during the factory warranty period. They also only offer rental cars for up to 5 days and it can't be cancelled beyond 30 days of ownership. Seems like a pretty **** plan but I'm stuck with it.

The case worker called today and has talked to the dealer. They are basically going by whatever the dealer says. They claim I drove the vehicle through wet concrete and it was a huge chore for them to get access to the transmission. I asked for a chemical analysis done of the dirt to prove its concrete and not just limestone mud from my work but I doubt that's going to go anywhere. One thing the case rep was interested in was that I wasn't consulted about the cleaning fee before they started work. Had I have known it was such a problem for them I would have came in and spent the 10 min it took them to get access to the bolts from underneath. I'll see if he gets anywhere with that. He confirmed the parts are on backorder and they arnt expected until the end of April. Looks like I'm not getting my car back anytime soon ��. Hopefully the news reaches out to me, or Chevy canada is willing to discuss some kind of compensation. A 1.5 month repair is completely unacceptable

#18 ·
What I read about lemon laws was for vehicles that are under 1.5 years old and 30,000 miles I think is what it said. It said vehicles that had been in the shop multiple times and have exceeded 30 days total are considered lemons. I'm like down to the week to fall into that category. Regard it's not applicable in this country where dealers can basically treat you however they want and void your warranty at the drop of a hat.

I have looked into camvap and was thinking of giving them a call. I did email a local news crew asking for help.

I found my bill and the info about the extended warranty. It was $2600, then I paid another $2000 for replacement insurance. The warranty is through fcpp. I called them today and they basically offer nothing beyond the manufacturer warranty during the factory warranty period. They also only offer rental cars for up to 5 days and it can't be cancelled beyond 30 days of ownership. Seems like a pretty **** plan but I'm stuck with it.

The case worker called today and has talked to the dealer. They are basically going by whatever the dealer says. They claim I drove the vehicle through wet concrete and it was a huge chore for them to get access to the transmission. I asked for a chemical analysis done of the dirt to prove its concrete and not just limestone mud from my work but I doubt that's going to go anywhere. One thing the case rep was interested in was that I wasn't consulted about the cleaning fee before they started work. Had I have known it was such a problem for them I would have came in and spent the 10 min it took them to get access to the bolts from underneath. I'll see if he gets anywhere with that. He confirmed the parts are on backorder and they arnt expected until the end of April. Looks like I'm not getting my car back anytime soon ��. Hopefully the news reaches out to me, or Chevy canada is willing to discuss some kind of compensation. A 1.5 month repair is completely unacceptable
Check out CAMVAP

It’s essentially a consumer protection agency for Canada, not much difference between this and a lemon law. That is just my initial take on it. GM is a participating manufacturer in their arbitration process. Just something to look into.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.