Can you Disarm the horn honk when you shut off engine. - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Can you Disarm the horn honk when you shut off engine.

easygoin4 is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    This car is not a push-button start, there is a key attached to the fob.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    It bugs me when I get in the 2016, shut the door and BEEPBEEPBEEP.
    Yes, the remote's in the car, I just got in with it in my pocket.
    For me, what usually happens is that I get out of the car, but don't shut the door. Then, when I get back in, it beeps.

What happens is that when you open the door, it's expecting you to get out. So, when the door closes again but you're back in the car, it's confused. Just close the door every time and you won't get that.

What it needs is a sensor to detect someone sitting in the driver's seat. The door sensor alone is not a reliable indicator of if you're in the car or not.

As for the OP, I have no clue. I'd look for aftermarket add-ons such as an aftermarket alarm.
    Last edited by ChevyGuy; 04-18-2019 at 03:35 PM.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    For me, what usually happens is that I get out of the car, but don't shut the door. Then, when I get back in, it beeps.

Last time it happened was when I picked up a few items at the store.
    It was earlier this week, but I can't remember if I put stuff in the trunk, the back seat, or both.
    I can see where that time I probably did something to confuse it as you suggest.
    2017 Cruze LT RS
    2016 Cruze LT with Sun&Sound

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post

What happens is that when you open the door, it's expecting you to get out. So, when the door closes again but you're back in the car, it's confused. <snip>
    This illustrates why I find keyless starting to be a solution in search of a problem. I never saw the upside in having the keyless setup. Seriously, how inconvenient is it to have to insert a key before starting? What advantages are there to this new way of doing things? And do they outweigh all the other crap that comes with it?

Don't get me wrong, I understand you have to take what the car comes with - it's not always an option for the buyer. But what is the upside in doing it this way?

Doug...old curmudgeon who still misses having the dimmer switch on the floor...

-- Silver 2013 Cruze 1LS
    -- Copper 2012 Cruze 2LS
    Hidden Content

Drag Racing Champion
    I like not having to take my fob out of my pocket.

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by plano-doug View Post
    This illustrates why I find keyless starting to be a solution in search of a problem. I never saw the upside in having the keyless setup. Seriously, how inconvenient is it to have to insert a key before starting? What advantages are there to this new way of doing things? And do they outweigh all the other crap that comes with it?
    It's a lot like cell phones. Most people didn't see the point - until they got one.

It doesn't sound like much, but being able to walk up to your car, open it, and start it without digging something out of your pocket is a nice bit of luxury. Just one less thing to mess with. The honking is minor and not all that often.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Don't get me wrong, I understand you have to take what the car comes with - it's not always an option for the buyer. But what is the upside in doing it this way?

Doug...old curmudgeon who still misses having the dimmer switch on the floor...

Meh, people said the same thing about keyless entry when that came out. I don't even know if you can buy a car without it in 2019.

Generally push button start is not an issue. My friend has a 2007 Altima, one of the first non luxury cars I remember that had push button start. Never had an issue. But I think he's also on the 3rd stupid Nissan CVT...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jblackburn; 04-19-2019 at 01:45 AM.
    plano-doug likes this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Administrator

This illustrates why I find keyless starting to be a solution in search of a problem. I never saw the upside in having the keyless setup.
    Keyless starting eliminates ignition switch problems relating to key chain weight and torqueing in the ignition cylinder. So there is a problem that keyless start resolves.
    plano-doug likes this.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    Keyless starting eliminates ignition switch problems relating to key chain weight and torqueing in the ignition cylinder. So there is a problem that keyless start resolves.
    Removing the 5 pounds of trinkets attached to the key chain helps that, too (I frequently fuss at my grown children about that.)

FWIW, if GM hadn't changed the spring used in the ignition switch, that issue may have never occurred. I'm very pro GM, but it's hard to defend that one

Doug

-- Silver 2013 Cruze 1LS
    -- Copper 2012 Cruze 2LS
    Hidden Content

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    This illustrates why I find keyless starting to be a solution in search of a problem. I never saw the upside in having the keyless setup.
    It introduces new ones such as nonstandardized operation between manufacturers and driver's not knowing how to use the system or remember where the button is in an emergency.

Back during the Toyota unintended acceleration case I remember one lawfirm or consultant conducting interviews with Toyota and Lexus.

And a large percentage of the owners couldn't describe how to shut off the engine while driving down the road, nor could they describe accurately where the ignition button even was.

Even GM hasn't been able to standardize all their pushbutton ignitions. They started with rectangular rocker switches, and switched to multiple shapes of single action pushbuttons. Some of them are completely obscured by the steering wheel, some are above the column centerline, some are below the column...Some are conspicuous and stick out, others intentionally blend into the form of the dash.
    JoeInMilwaukee and plano-doug like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)