BNR Tunes
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: BNR Tunes

So I've been reading a lot about BNR/Trifecta/ZZ Performance.

BNR seems to be the most popular tune company.

(For the life of me I can't imagine why someone would want a crackle tune.)

But I have major reservations about flashing a tune.

Specifically when it comes to increasing HP. A ton of people online keep talking about cracked pistons and I can't help bur think that the 1.4 wasn't meant to crank out 250hp and be reliable.

I've heard of an eco tune and reports of 46mpg. I'm also interested in what some are calling a " basic tune" that peps up the acceleration a bit.

Can some one share their experience with BNR tunes?
    Last edited by 2019CruzeRSAEM; 05-19-2019 at 10:57 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze Ncfutrell's Avatar
    The cracked pistons/engine-explosion was from a factory defect in the pistons, I believe. 2018+ got updated pistons, while the 2016/2017 are given updated pistons once failure occurs.

Whilst tuning, the piston issue is irrelevant in 2018+

My experience is a lot more power, they can tailor to what you ask, and horrible turn around times. To me 10 days in between message responses is not acceptable. Just sharing my opinion. Responses seem very curt and rushed as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Yea I've heard some good things and some not so good things. Frankly I want my new 2019 Cruze to be reliable more than I want to push the envelope.

P.S. I'm Moving to the Round Rock area soon. We should get a Capital Texas Cruze Meet going.
    Thebigzeus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ncfutrell View Post
    The cracked pistons/engine-explosion was from a factory defect in the pistons, I believe. 2018+ got updated pistons, while the 2016/2017 are given updated pistons once failure occurs.

Whilst tuning, the piston issue is irrelevant in 2018+
    That would make me very happy if true. Can you confirm this for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by 2019CruzeRSAEM View Post
    That would make me very happy if true. Can you confirm this for sure?

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/369-gen2-service-issues/211050-2016-5-2017-piston-failures-any-updates-gm.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ncfutrell; 05-20-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2019CruzeRSAEM View Post
    Link doesn't work
    I had linked it through Tapatalk. Should work now for you.

I had linked it through Tapatalk. Should work now for you.

Thanks

5th Gear
    The cracked pistons/engine-explosion was from a factory defect in the pistons, I believe.
    The issue with GDI engines is Low Speed Pre-Ignition, or LSPI.
    I see two ways to define the defect:
    1. An engine that has LSPI is defective.
    2. An engine that can't survive LSPI is defective.

With the early LE2, LSPI can be a 'one and done' thing. It goes boom, a chunk of aluminum is explosively broken off the edge of the piston crown, and it's time to tear the engine down.
    The new pistons are supposed to be harder to break in a LSPI event.

From what I now know of LSPI, it's a function of fuel octane rating, oil formulation, and cylinder pressure on the compression stroke.

GDI engines put gasoline on the cylinder walls. As a result, more fuel gets past the rings and into the oil sump. So fuel dilution of the oil will be higher than in a port injected engine. The oil people tell us not to worry if it's under 5%, but I don't like the idea of gasoline and ethanol in my oil.

Some of that gas finds itself in the ring grooves, behind the compression rings.
    If the detergent package in the oil causes the fuel/oil mix behind the rings to have a low octane rating, and if there's enough oxygen and pressure/heat there to induce combustion, then boom, you get a nice fuel/air explosion behind the ring.

When I bought my BNR tune, I mentioned the fact that my car was out of warranty and prevention of LSPI was high on my list of wants. (this was the month before I found out that oil and gas quality had a lot more to do with it than tuning does)

I also requested an economy tune, not an all out performance tune, and asked for maximum transmission life.

As @Thebigzeus said, I experienced worse response times from BNR than I'd read about from people who bought tunes in previous years. I chalked that up to the fact that I bought from the Black Friday sale, but apparently Jerry is still too busy in May. I ordered late in the evening on the last day of the sale, so mine was probably one of the last ones shipped. Then I had to send Jerry my factory tune and wait a week or two for my baseline tune. By the time I installed my baseline tune and sent Jerry some log files, Christmas was less than a week away.

In January, Jerry said he'd viewed my logs, no changes needed. So I thanked him and asked for E85 and 87 octane tunes. After another lengthy delay, he said that there was no E85 tune (my mistake, I thought he'd said about a year ago that he could do E85 but not flex fuel) but he could give me 87 octane if I wanted it. Yes, I want it, that's why I asked for it in my last email.

That was January. I wanted an 87 octane tune for winter. I asked for it twice, and four months later I still don't have it.

That said, the power is sort of intoxicating, closer to 200hp than 210hp (remember, I asked for safety and economy and said I didn't care about getting every last drop of power) and the only driveability issue is a tendency to hang onto the current gear as I push the pedal down farther to accelerate, then when it finally decides to downshift I get a huge increase in power from a small increase in pedal pressure and have to lift off to prevent overrunning the car in front of me. (I think that's just an artifact of the economy tune, it bugged me a lot back in January but I'm used to it now, and I always have the option of downshifting manually if I need to accelerate up a hill in traffic)

In summation, I got everything I wanted out of this tune except for BNR's reputed responsiveness. It appears that Jerry has been selling more tunes the past fall/winter/spring than he did a year or two ago, and he's run up a backlog of tune/retune requests. Last I saw from him in the forum, I believe he said to expect a week or two turnaround time on non-emergency tuning requests. As long as you're OK with a worst case scenario of 'get the AutoCal, send in your factory tune, wait two weeks for your BNR tune', followed by another two week delay when you send in your BNR tune log file and wait for your final tune if retuning is needed, then I can recommend BNR without reservation.

If you just want to drop a tune in your car right now and be done without going through 3-4 weeks of tune/retune, then Trifecta has a low cost 'canned' tune.

If you want a tune customized to your particular car and needs, then I think you should budget a month for the process, with Trifecta or BNR. I see that ZZ in Grand Rapids now has a LE2 tune, but I'm not sure what their response times are like and I haven't seen any reviews from anybody who has used their LE2 tune.
    Last edited by Taxman; 05-21-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    Ncfutrell and Thebigzeus like this.
    2017 Cruze LT RS
    2016 Cruze LT with Sun&Sound

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)