Burning oil in 2 weeks, WHAT!!!?
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Burning oil in 2 weeks, WHAT!!!?

Burning oil in 2 weeks, WHAT!!!?

So I just got my car back from my local Mechanic. He States that my purge valve solenoid is the cause of burning excess oil. I think not.

I was sitting at the Toyota dealership near my house getting my wife's car serviced. My nephew and I were sitting in my car windows up just listening to music and playing on our phones (yes the car was running) I noticed my temperature gauge go slightly passed the halfway mark it usually holds. I immediately shut my car off. Once I made it home I checked the water and it was empty. Long story short, the housing for the thermostat was cracked. I replaced it with a newer dorman aluminum one for 117$ through Advance Auto parts store here near my house. Shortly after I did a full service tune up, all fluid changes, ect. I also replaced my valve cover just after because I found it was in bad shape during my oil change. Just shy of two weeks after all this work I am on my way home from St. Augustine, Fl and I pull into a gas station to meet my wife and as I roll my window down I hear a loud knocking sound. (Her Toyota is brand new) so I know it had to be me. I get home and let my car cool, I check the oil, bone dry. I refill it to proper levels and the knocking IMMEDIATELY stops. I take it to my local Mechanic and he tells me the purge valve is causing the car to run lean allowing the oil to be burnt faster. Makes no sense to me. I call another source I trust and he says that the synthetic oil I put in the car that it calls for is too thin. That since I have 181k miles on my car I should put a thicker weight of oil in and it should quit. Mind you I have no smoking from my tail pipe, yet the tail pipe is black as darkness! HELP!?????

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Ignore all of them. If you are using 5w-30, that's fine.

Look for the PCV check valve in the intake manifold (orange dot). Look for major oil leaks underneath the car - put down a piece of cardboard or something.

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-g...explained.html
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Group B Rally Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Schafferm2209 View Post
    Just shy of two weeks after all this work I am on my way home from St. Augustine, Fl and I pull into a gas station to meet my wife and as I roll my window down I hear a loud knocking sound. (Her Toyota is brand new) so I know it had to be me. I get home and let my car cool, I check the oil, bone dry.
    Assuming your checked the oil two week ago, that's a pretty significant oil leak. About the only internal oil leak I can think of that would be big enough is if the turbo is hemorrhaging oil. Yes, the PCV can cause oil to burn, but I doubt if it can burn that much that fast.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    Welcome Aboard!

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

7. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)