Persistent Oil Leak: Cracked Ol Pan Or Failing Head Gasket?
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Jondaytona
  • 1 Post By obermd

Thread: Persistent Oil Leak: Cracked Ol Pan Or Failing Head Gasket?

ChevyTony is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

Persistent Oil Leak: Cracked Ol Pan Or Failing Head Gasket?

I keep having to add oil to my 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ due to a persistent oil leak that keeps trying to run the oil tank dry. My garage mechanics noticed "a trickle" of oil coming out of my oil pan when they last checked my car a couple weeks ago. Do I have a cracked oil pan, or a failing head gasket?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

An oil leak won't be from a head gasket, but if a "mechanic" noticed an oil leak, why couldn't he tell you where it was coming from? A cracked oil pan is unlikely, but not impossible. Another tidbit, I bought a car from someone awhile back for a few hundred bucks because he thought the same thing. Couldn't really drive it because the oil leak was so bad and it was running down the pan. Once I got it home and checked it out, I couldn't believe my eyes when I noticed a small pinhole in an inconspicuous spot on the oil filter that would leak oil at a consistent rate that he thought was the oil pan. In my case it was a quick oil change that took care of the leak. Things aren't always what they seem (but usually are).

I typically take a can of brake-clean and just hose down the area of leakage from top to bottom, then take an air nozzle and dry it all up real quick. Start the engine and watch for leaks.
    obermd and Blasirl like this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel
    110k Miles
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Projector Headlights w/6000k HID A/C 55w bulb kit and relay harness
    LED Smoked Euro-style Tail Lights
    Black Billet Aluminum Grilles (top, middle and lower)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jondaytona View Post
    I typically take a can of brake-clean and just hose down the area of leakage from top to bottom, then take an air nozzle and dry it all up real quick. Start the engine and watch for leaks.
    This^^^

Clean the old leaked and caked oil up and then start searching for the leak. Don't bother throwing parts at your car until you know where the leak is located.
    Blasirl likes this.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    My thoughts exactly ^^^ and ^^^^^^
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Group B Rally Champion

I'll give you a third possibility that's more likely: A failed check valve in the intake manifold that's part of the PCV system. When that happens, the block is over pressurized from the turbo boost and oil leaks from all kinds of gaskets.

See item #4 in this post. If that orange nub is gone, that's the source of your problem. As you can tell from the thread, it's a fairly common failure.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

8. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)