Instrument cluster glare - displays almost unreadable
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Instrument cluster glare - displays almost unreadable

stodge is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

Instrument cluster glare - displays almost unreadable

I drove an LTZ on Friday and I was shocked at how much glare there was on the instrument cluster. I could barely read the some of the dials/displays. Is anyone else bothered by this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Touring Champion
    That's disheartening to hear. I wonder if it has to do with the glare from the chrome rings or from the fact that the cluster bezels are opaque, allowing the the cluster's backlighting to shine through at night, which may also be the cause of a really bad glare during the day when the sun hits it. Just a guess, I don't know for sure.

Give your head a shake, your eyes are stuck! No glare on mine.
    bbdhomer likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear
    No glare on mine either.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Current: Smoked Side Marker Lenses, Black Bow Ties, Bluetooth PDIM, Reso Delete, 35/5% Tint, TCollins Big 3 Kit, Dashcam
    Soon: Custom Tablet Magnet Mount, De-Chrome, ?

stodge is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Sorry I should have clarified this was during a bright, cloudless, sunny day.

Touring Champion
    Did you have polarized sunglasses on? I have polarized snap ons and they wash out the LCD display on my P5 radio display.

Also, what setting was the display lighting set at?
    2017 Milano Red Fit EX-L with w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In

60.000 Mi., Avg. MPG: 32 City; 44 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.
    I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
    "I have everything I need and nothin' that I don't" (Zac Brown)

Administrator

Use windex and clean your cluster display. Many cases of reflective glare are a result of a thin film on the glass/plastic.
    2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
    2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT (Hidden Content ) - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS MT @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

stodge is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Frye View Post
    Did you have polarized sunglasses on? I have polarized snap ons and they wash out the LCD display on my P5 radio display.

Also, what setting was the display lighting set at?

Good question. I was wearing sunglasses and they may be poliarized but I can't remember. It was a test drive so I don't know what the display lighting was set to. And that means I can't use winded.

Retired Moderator

No glare on the instrument panel.

I did notice one instance late in the afternoon where the sun was in the right, er, wrong, position to completely wash out the radio display. That happened once in the 11 months I've had the car, though.

I've not had any issues with polarized sunglasses, either.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Hidden Content
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Banned

Is the LTZ different than the 2LT? Never drove an LTZ. Electronic digital displays have been around for over 25 years, Cruze is the best one I have ever seen, and that is with polarized, non-polarized, or no sunglasses. And also includes just about any aftermarket radio that is completely washed out, even on a cloudy day.

Absolutely no problems reading the display either analog or digital. What I consider completely worthless is the analog speedometer, no matter how I adjust the seat or the steering wheel, view of it is blocked. No problems with the gas, temperature or tach gauges. Resolution is terrible going up to 140 mph if I do duck my head so I can read the dang thing.

In these days when cops are issuing speeding tickets doing 26 in a 25, even more worthless, small line increments are 5 mph, wide ones are 10 mph, and speed indicating numerics are in 20 mph increments. What were they thinking in this gauge design? Been reading analog gauges most of my life, this is the worse gague I have ever seen.

Digital gauge is great, redundant, but great and extremely accurate, right smack in line with my GPS. Thinking about removing that analog speedometer and selling it on ebay, Never use it. And that is the single most important gague! And why a 140 mph ranged, fastest speed you can drive in this country is 70 mph!

If it wasn't for that digital speedometer, would have never purchased the Cruze, last ticket I received was doing 57 in a 55. And don't argue with the judge having great knowledge of the faults with either laser or doppler radar with cosine error and all that. Will call you a smarta$$ and double the fine. Hitting the brake doesn't work either with that drastic rate of change that can peg that cops radar detector.

When you see a cop, ever say oh boy, I will safe, he is there to protect me against terrorist or criminals? On the contrary, there to nail you a$$. Surprised the entire American population doesn't object to this.
    spacedout likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)