Building The Cruzen2.0
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Building The Cruzen2.0

TheCruzen is online now [OP]

Building The Cruzen2.0

Background:
    My 2012 ECO MT has been named "Cruzen" so this is the build of "Cruzen2.0"
    My ECO is worth too much to do all these modifications to it.
    I WILL build the first(?) 2.0t 6MT CRUZE!

2014 Buick Verano Premium, 2.0T, 6MT, 17k miles, salvage- runs/drives, $3k (PURCHASED)
    2012 Chevy Cruze LS, 1.8L, 6MT, 195k miles, bad clutch, $3k (PENDING AS OF 5/30/18)

The Buick was delivered today (5/30/18) and this it the first bit of prep so I could find out what replacement parts I needed to buy.

As Delivered
    Message_1527688614055[2].jpg

After removal of front crash bar and upper rad support (and hood)
    20180530_113622[1].jpg

Messed up rads. No leaks tho, AC still blows cold! Only part not usable or the same with the recipient Cruze is the main engine radiator
    20180530_113642_HDR[1].jpg
    20180530_113633_HDR[1].jpg

As of now the wheels haven't fallen off the project, but they did have to come off the car
    20180530_184212[1].jpg
    20180530_184321[1].jpg

JUNK!!!
    20180530_184327_HDR[1].jpg

The wheels I will be using from now on (including the final look) will be 17x7 5x115 from a 2012 Equinox with 225/50/r16 tires to look stock and be the same size as the factory Cruze ones while fitting the Buick hubs and not saying "BUICK" on them.

Something like this
    5433-sss-a_1.jpg

Updates will come as I make progress
    guuyuk, Metro666, Heretic and 1 others like this.
    Somewhere an Equinox is missing its "N".....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    Nice start. I am interested in seeing you finish. Any of the Cruze diesel rims should fit as well. You could also pop the center caps and see if any will exchange. Subscribed!
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Handbrake Released
    So you're simply swapping the drivetrain and the cradle? Shouldnt be too difficult.
    Sensor plugs should all be the same, maybe in different locations, but you could solve that with the Verano underhood harness. That harness should match up with the Cruze body harness, maybe some repinning. AlldataDIY connector diagrams for both cars would be invaluable.
    Beyond that, Verano ECM, Cruze BCM, security relearn and away you go.
    Heck, you might be able to use the Verano shifter in the ECO, too
    Are you also going to continue to use the ECO suspension on all four corners, or are you swapping all the Verano shocks/brakes over? Should be all straightforward fit-wise, as they are the same as Cruze Diesel parts. That would also help you with any potential problems with parts integration.
    Then you just treat it as a Cruze Diesel, buy a couple good used Verano wheels and use those 18s. They look good on a Cruze.
    Look forward to your progress and future success.
    Last edited by thebac; 05-31-2018 at 11:39 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

The buick wheels are beyond saving and none of the tires are even repairable. So I needed to buy both wheels and tires so I purchased a set of 4 off an equinox (the diesel cruze wheels are a bit ugly to me) and matching tires. Hopefully i can take the buick for a rip down my street this evening!

MISTAKE NO.1

Wrong wheels, those equinox wheels (purchased) are 5x120, so now to see about another set of 17x7 wheels

EDIT:
    I did my research but the guy at the local used parts depot assured me that wheels from the 08 equinox and wheels from the later 2012 were the same... I shall be returning there in the morning to exchange them for some 17x7 '08 Saturn Vue wheels that I know are 5x115 as my family used to own one.
    Last edited by TheCruzen; 05-31-2018 at 09:32 PM.
    chevyguy75 likes this.

Handbrake Released
    https://www.wheel-size.com/

That'll help you figure out what'll fit. Check Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Thats how I found my set, and the wheels were in perfect shape.

thebac, i've used that for years now, but just went with what the parts guy said for once. Wont be doing that again!

Success! Buick is now driveable, and it's f*cking FAST.
    The wheel saga isn't quite over but there are four wheels and tires on the buick.
    I was only able to swap 3 of the wheels and will have to pick up the 4th on monday, but 3 of 4 means I can just throw the buick spare on in place of the missing one.
    Got the ac system properly emptied/evacuated today as well, for $50 it was quite tempting to "accidentally" cause a massive leak, but instead I went with the right way of doing it.
    Progress!!
    ALY07057U.jpg
    (stock photo, mine have bowties)

5th Gear
    Motor Trend did 6.4 to 60 and 15.0 in the quarter.
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo Arrival - Motor Trend

I thought that was a bit slow, but C&D got 6.4/15.2:
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...al-test-review
    Last edited by Taxman; 06-01-2018 at 10:24 PM.
    2017 Cruze LT RS
    2016 Cruze LT with Sun&Sound

Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCruzen View Post
    MISTAKE NO.1

Wrong wheels, those equinox wheels (purchased) are 5x120, so now to see about another set of 17x7 wheels

EDIT:
    I did my research but the guy at the local used parts depot assured me that wheels from the 08 equinox and wheels from the later 2012 were the same... I shall be returning there in the morning to exchange them for some 17x7 '08 Saturn Vue wheels that I know are 5x115 as my family used to own one.
    So, I am still curious. Did/Does the Buick Cap's interchange with the Chevy ones? Did the Saturn actually have Chevy bow-ties on the rims or did you find some different caps?
    Hidden Content "Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Hidden Content , Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Hidden Content UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)