Lithium battery upgrade
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ma v e n

Thread: Lithium battery upgrade

AZ007 is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze

Lithium battery upgrade

My battery is about 4 years old so I decided to replace it. This time, I went with a LiFePO4 battery. It only weighs ~4.5 pounds and should last ten years. I think this is a no-brainer upgrade for anybody who wants a lighter car or just wants a battery that will last forever.
    IMG_20181205_210654677.jpg
    Here's a link to the exact battery I bought. It is a little more pricey than a regular battery but, again, it will last twice as long. $215. If you get on that company's mailing list, they often send 10%- or 15%-off coupons.

The red goo on the terminals is anti-corrosion stuff.

https://bioennopower.com/collections...abs-blp-20500m
    Last edited by AZ007; 12-06-2018 at 11:05 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Why do they paint the terminals red? I noticed my battery is painted red. But they were messy and painted most of the top of the battery and areas around the battery.
    Don't regret anything. You are the person you are today because of your past. Learn from it.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDad View Post
    Why do they paint the terminals red? I noticed my battery is painted red. But they were messy and painted most of the top of the battery and areas around the battery.
    its not paint, its an anti-corrosion spray

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Group B Rally Champion

Need to work on securing the battery. That might be OK for seeing if the car and the battery will get along, but I'd want it changed before the week was up.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Quote Originally Posted by eddiefromcali View Post
    its not paint, its an anti-corrosion spray
    huh ok.
    Don't regret anything. You are the person you are today because of your past. Learn from it.

4th Gear
    Nice, lifepo4 is a pretty solid tech right now, and shaving 40 lbs from the car is definitely worthwhile.

Several of the high end sports cars have Li variant battery upgrades available, it's slowly starting to spread out replace lead -acid chemistry SLI batteries.

I'll def be switching when the time comes(Braille brand, I've used them before),
    My only critique with yours besides the previously mention mount, would be that's only a ~25Ah battery, spec is more like 60, and I didn't see if that's it's equivalent rating or how that company rates capacity or accounts for the difference between SLA and LiFePo4
    Last edited by Ma v e n; 12-06-2018 at 10:13 PM.
    AZ007 likes this.

AZ007 is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    That could come back to bite me, but at least LiFePO4 doesn't self-discharge and it charges faster than lead-acid. So I may be alright.

AZ007 is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    @Ma v e n I took your advice and bought a flat bungee to hold the battery down. This is the exact bungee I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Secure-...+secure+bungee

There wasn't a great place to clip the bungee, so I drilled two tiny holes in the battery holder and looped a zip tie through them. Now the bungee clips on easily.

The car has been starting great, even in the Texas cold. It's not suitable for really cold weather, though (like below 30*F).

IMG_20181229_130855912.jpg

11. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)