Battery/ Alt Help (sound system)
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Battery/ Alt Help (sound system)

clemson27 is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

Battery/ Alt Help (sound system)

Hello guys,

I have a 2011 Cruze ls. I compete in car audio a little bit and I think I might be having some battery/ alt issues. The amplifier is a 4k rms amp at 1 ohm. Last time I clamped the amplifier I was only getting 2k rms to the subwoofer, which is fine. I Started out with just the wet cell battery under the hood and the big 3 upgrade with 1/0 ofc wire. Stock battery wasn't going to handle that obviously, so I put a 100ah Deka agm group 31 in the trunk and grounded the best I could in the trunk. Should I run a dedicated 1/0 ground to the front battery, would it make that much of a difference? Anyways, last week I replaced the wet cell under the hood with an XS Power D4700 agm battery. So now I have two agm's. I put my NOCO 7.2amp agm charger on the deka in the trunk to charge them both (I dont know if it matters which battery I charge it at, I wouldn't think so?) Now I have both agm's fully charged resting at 12.9v. Here in Indiana its been in the low 20's so I know the alt likes to charge around 15v. So with the low temps, two fully charged agm's, the alt still charges 15-15.4v pretty much anywhere I drive. As far as I know agm's dont like charging that high. I also thought that since the computer regulates the alt, it would recognize the batterys are fully charged, and wouldn't charge as high. Of course the amplifier doesn't like seeing 15v and it goes into protect. If I warm up the car (warm the amp up some) then restart the car and immediately start jamming to get the voltage down some, then it's fine and slowly climbs to 14.9-15v again. Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm just not sure if this is really okay or not. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Group B Rally Champion

With all that re-wiring, I'm wondering what's happened to the battery current sensor. I suspect the BCM is raising the charging voltage to see a certain charging current. But if that sensor's been bypassed, then the BCM will raise it to maximum.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    With all that re-wiring, I'm wondering what's happened to the battery current sensor. I suspect the BCM is raising the charging voltage to see a certain charging current. But if that sensor's been bypassed, then the BCM will raise it to maximum.
    I thought about that too actually but there’s no way that 1/0 wire will fit through that hole as well as the factory wire. Surely there’s something I can do to fix this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by clemson27 View Post
    I thought about that too actually but there’s no way that 1/0 wire will fit through that hole as well as the factory wire. Surely there’s something I can do to fix this.
    Can you splice together a ground cable that has a short length of the stock wire to allow the sensor to fit over it?

Without going into too much detail, a short length of skinnier wire (ie, higher resistivity) won't have appreciable effect on the voltage drop along the wire.

I'm thinking you can use a stock cable for about 4-6 inches off the battery terminal, with the sensor on that length, then split the other grounds from there.

HTH.

Doug

-- Copper 2012 Cruze 2LS
    -- Silver 2013 Cruze 1LS
    Hidden Content

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by plano-doug View Post
    Can you splice together a ground cable that has a short length of the stock wire to allow the sensor to fit over it?

Without going into too much detail, a short length of skinnier wire (ie, higher resistivity) won't have appreciable effect on the voltage drop along the wire.

I'm thinking you can use a stock cable for about 4-6 inches off the battery terminal, with the sensor on that length, then split the other grounds from there.

HTH.

Doug

My theory is, since I’m just “upgrading” the charging wires, can’t I just take the stock ground wire out of the current sensor and put the bigger wire in it? Leaving the stock ground of course just only running the bigger wire through the sensor.

Handbrake Released
    My theory is, since I’m just “upgrading” the charging wires, can’t I just take the stock ground wire out of the current sensor and put the bigger wire in it? Leaving the stock ground of course just only running the bigger wire through the sensor.
    If the bigger wire will fit into the sensor, then yes, do that. Then, on the other side, you can split that out to the other ground leads.

Doug

-- Copper 2012 Cruze 2LS
    -- Silver 2013 Cruze 1LS
    Hidden Content

2nd Gear
    My 05 Silverado has that ground sensor thing on the main batt. I just connected both D3400s together...pos to pos, neg to neg. I upgraded the oem ground through the loop sensor and left everything else stock. My Sundown SAZ-2000, Digital Designs c2C and A4 all share a common ground to the frame. Even with both batts topped off, v still jumps to 15v in this cold weather until it calculates batt temp is up to op range. Has been that way for 5yrs now, no problems....youll be fine.

What kinda amp goes into protect at 15v?
    clemson27 likes this.

Group B Rally Champion

The main thing is that the sensor goes around the wire(s) that go to the battery. That way, it can measure the charging current. My suggestion would be to connect your cable to the ground point and then run the largest wire that will fit though the sensor to the battery. But watch out for that thin wire that connects to the factory clamp. That' goes to the BCM and it uses that to measure the battery voltage. That wire does not run though the sensor in a stock setup.
    Last edited by ChevyGuy; 02-21-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    plano-doug and clemson27 like this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiefromcali View Post
    My 05 Silverado has that ground sensor thing on the main batt. I just connected both D3400s together...pos to pos, neg to neg. I upgraded the oem ground through the loop sensor and left everything else stock. My Sundown SAZ-2000, Digital Designs c2C and A4 all share a common ground to the frame. Even with both batts topped off, v still jumps to 15v in this cold weather until it calculates batt temp is up to op range. Has been that way for 5yrs now, no problems....youll be fine.

What kinda amp goes into protect at 15v?
    The amplifier is a Massive Audio BP8000.1
    It works fine until voltage reaches 15.1 then immediately protects. Every time.

2nd Gear
    The amplifier is a Massive Audio BP8000.1
    It works fine until voltage reaches 15.1 then immediately protects. Every time.

its your amp being picky then. Ask MA what the input range is on their amps....I've never had any amp go into protect at that "low" voltage. Its not uncommon for modern cars go from 11-15v
    plano-doug likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)