Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am deciding on what I should do to the car next. So far I just have a zzp intake and eibach lowering springs. I want to go with the 02 housing/midpipe to free up some hp but for $500 you get minimal gains. The trifecta tune is cheaper and you get your money's worth as far as power gains go. So what do you guys think I should do? My 2011 cruze ltz rs has 29k miles on it and it is on the original plugs, do you think its time to replace or just regap them to .32? Thanks

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Do the tune of course ! The exhaust nets a very minimal gain

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks. So do you recommend a certain type of plug with the tune and to what gap? If I just have an intake and plan to keep it this way for awhile, should I just get the Trifecta budget tune? How hard is it to tune with no previous tuning experience? What is all changed in the tune, boost, timing, shift points?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would use Vermont Tuning.A better product and service in my book.A hand held scanner is provided and tuning is a snap with it.But thats your call and your money.If you use Trifecta get the full tune.You will also need to buy there cable and use a lap top for your programing.The stock plugs gapped at .028 are just fine.And yes boost level and timing are changed along with several other things.The power target as set in the ecm is also increased.In a auto trans shift points and converter apply is also changed some what.The out put of the engine is increased 30 to 40 hp and the TQ increase is 40 or 50 lb TQ. depending on the use of 91 or 93 octane fuel.93 will make more power and i do suggest shell vpower 93 it tends to run about a 11% alcohol content in my testing.Vtuner will also optimize the tune for 91 or 93 octane depending on your needs.

Reactions: snowvette

·
10,712 Posts
Both Vermont and Trifecta are easy to do, you aren't physically changing any of the values at all besides transparency mode or not. It's literally like you are "updating" you car to latest and greatest version of software. If you are smart enough to install drivers and update adobe, you should be able to do this. If you do go trifecta as he stated above, do not go budget tune. You will not notice the change at all vs the full out tune. It's literally like getting a small 12 oz soda for $2.00 when the large 64 oz is $3.15

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Registered
990 Posts
To make the most power out of the DP and mid you'll need a tune

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Biggest gains will be from a tune, and should be the first step in mods. Anything added after a tune will only complement performance.

There are only a handful of mods available at this time depending on your budget.

After the tune performance mods start to have little return verses cost (tune best bang for the buck).

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Tune would be my choice (I have Trifecta & personally love it.) In addition, a short shifter will make a difference as well. Granted we're not talking HP/Torque but what good are those two if you can't get through the gears in the first place? I do have a catback exhaust and intake as well. Downpipe should be on the way as soon as I get the seller's attention for payment ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Do the exhaust mods, AND get the tune. HPTuners FTW, especially a good pro tuner who can get you on the dyno and really dial it in. The off-the-shelf canned-tunes aren't for the people who really want to squeeze the safest and most power out of our tiny tire screeching 1.4s lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your going to tune it, i suggest first doing the essencial mods, since your gonna be upgrading boost and power, it is better to first have a better bov/bpv, full turbo exhaust, if you want, a front mount intercooler,all the mods you want and then tune it taking in considerations all those mods, that will get you the best out of the tune.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts