Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while traveling 60 mph on the interstate my 2012 1 LT died. All engine related gauges went blank. While coasting I depressed the clutch and then restarted the engine in the normal fashion. It has run fine since. I have 10,000 miles on the car.

Has anyone ever had this happen and if so what was the problem?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did have the exact same problem, at around 60 when i had between 10 and 12k miles lol. It scared the **** out of me i was lugging it up a small hill at the time. It fired up normal ran fine after never did it again I'm at about 20k miles now. Since it never happened again i never really cared to investigate much. I think it was a random bug in the ecu. Didn't feel like anything in particular just complete loss of power until restarted

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
These cars are starting to have battery cable problems and GM knows it.The fix is replaceing the cables ! Either 1 or both

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
That was my first thought when it happened, but idk about op but my radio didn't stop playing it just stopped running

Doesn't mean anything. When a battery cable overheats and/or makes intermittent contact with a terminal, SOME current will still get through, but it's like a pinched-off garden hose. Likely not enough current was getting through to run the important electrical systems.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Loose battery cable - I would assume these guys would see the problem again though - intermittently. They are having it once and then its gone....does not sound like loose cable to me...

·
Registered
426 Posts
The Cruze is starting to have quite a few strange problems and the battery cables are made in China. Are the battery cables shipped with new cars not tightened to the battery post and then do the dealers go ahead with its setup. :)

·
17,346 Posts
Loose battery cable - I would assume these guys would see the problem again though - intermittently. They are having it once and then its gone....does not sound like loose cable to me...
Not if it was a cable flaking out under a high load/high temp. If all electrical accessories (AC/defrost/seat heaters/radio/headlights) are being run at once, it may overheat a bad-quality cable, starving the electrical system of juice and stalling the engine.

Electrical issues can be some of the most annoying to track down because they are usually intermittent.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Hence the big three upgrade .

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
jmaotto,

I am sorry to hear about this situation, quick thinking with the coasting restart. I know you said that it has run fine since, but have you considered having your Cruze checked out?

Evan A. (assisting Jackie)
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
412 Posts
only time my 2012 MT6 Eco stalls is, when I shift to 2nd, and forget to give it enough gas to get rolling from almost a dead stop. I've done this 3 times now.. Never had a problem with my old Nissan Sentra doing that.

·
17,346 Posts
Yup, this car WILL NOT recover from a stall, even if you stab the gas again. It just gives up and cuts off if you go below idle speed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
only time my 2012 MT6 Eco stalls is, when I shift to 2nd, and forget to give it enough gas to get rolling from almost a dead stop. I've done this 3 times now.. Never had a problem with my old Nissan Sentra doing that.
Yup, this car WILL NOT recover from a stall, even if you stab the gas again. It just gives up and cuts off if you go below idle speed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
And only in 2nd gear. I've recovered from stalls in 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6, but not 2.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Haha! I am so glad to hear it isn't just me. With the wide split between 1 and 2, I find myself in Seattles stop and go traffic all the time going "uhhh shoot, which way do I go?" If I go 1, I look like a teenage driver and if I go 2 it lugs or peters out on me. There is a speed somewhere near idle/creep that this car just isn't fond of letting you choose a gear!

Not a huge problem but I have been able to recover stalls in every gear except 2nd.

(Edit: I guess I could rev-match when choosing 1, but I suck at that in this car for whatever reason. I'll blame drive-by-wire!)

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
But I often forget when slowing down to almost a complete stop anddddd...whoops...dead.
agreed - this engine(1.4T) does not recover below a certain rpm - have to restart it. Has happened a couple of times to me going too low in gear.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
8-9 MPH for me is the decision point for 1/2. Fortunately this engine starts quickly and you can actually start driving again while the speedometer and tach do their needle sweep.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I love Chevy bur there is some evidence to support the idea that at a certain milage the computer is told to change its behavior. It's most notable with the mini Cooper.... But my dad's suburban turned 25k and on the dot started to misbehave and run poor. The only issue I had with this car happen at about 10k.... I think these computers change at a certain milage....... I love Chevy and only being this up as a theory

1 - 20 of 20 Posts