Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent a bit of time poking around the site and have been looking for data on quarter mile times. I've seen a few of the gasser guys with 1/4 mile passes under their belt, but only found one diesel time slip on the site. I know the Cruze isn't exactly a Camaro or Corvette, but I've had pretty much every vehicle I've owned to the track and the Cruze will be no different. The wife will be making some passes in it soon to have a base before we begin modding it and I'd like to compare it with others. I'm expecting 16's stock and we should be able to get it into the 12's/13's down the road.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Good luck. I think the fastest 1.4T engine 1/4 mile time is in a Sonic and it's in the low 14s. The Sonic is lighter than the Cruze so it accelerates a little faster. Definitely keep us posted - it'll be interesting to see what the CDT can do.

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
I know I can get 0-60 pretty quickly but never considered going to the "strip" to see 1/4 mile time. Somehow doing what I do during normal driving in a controlled environment or actually doing the 1/4 mile "seems" more detrimental to the car. LOL Would be interesting to see the results tho.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've spent a bit of time poking around the site and have been looking for data on quarter mile times. I've seen a few of the gasser guys with 1/4 mile passes under their belt, but only found one diesel time slip on the site. I know the Cruze isn't exactly a Camaro or Corvette, but I've had pretty much every vehicle I've owned to the track and the Cruze will be no different. The wife will be making some passes in it soon to have a base before we begin modding it and I'd like to compare it with others. I'm expecting 16's stock and we should be able to get it into the 12's/13's down the road.
12s you got your work cut out for ya.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
You'll definetly need more rubber to get into the 12s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know it won't be easy. The Cruze is the wife's car and when choosing her next vehicle she wanted something capable of running 12's again. If I don't get there I'll have fun trying. I own a performance shop and this type of thing is what I do. I am interested in tuning the car myself, but HP Tuners doesn't seem to have anything yet and EFI Live from what I can tell is only in Beta for it yet and doesn't show anything for the transmission which to me is the worst in the factory tuning. The trans tuning alone will improve how it drives a ton as well as improve performance more than adding power. For now the Trifecta may be the starting point in that respect, but I plan to make a call this week to check into a possible methanol kit install. Banks has been gaining really big with their methanol kits which look to be a snow performance type of a kit. Meth injection would be a nice possible option since I've seen impressive gains from it all the while keeping all factory emissions equipment on the car. Among things on the list for testing will be pre-tuned systems until I have the software to tune the trans and engine myself. Meth kit as mentioned, but once again that is something I'm going to get info on and if I end up putting it on I'll dyno it (have my own dyno in the shop) and test it at the track. Seibon sells a carbon fiber hood, trunk lid, fenders, etc and hopefully those will take some weight off as well as improve the look. Any weight loss on the car will only be a huge help in better milage as well as making it quicker. I see that there are injectors available for it now, but I want to see how far I can get it before cracking anything. For track runs it will be on a drag radial.

On a side note: I will not remove any DPF or DEF system from the car. I am a firm believer that the DEF and DPF systems are important to keep. Anyone who has done any reading into how important they are should know what I mean. Too many believe that if they get better milage by removing them they must be cleaner when in fact it is no where close to that. Europe is finally realizing this now as they have been selling diesels in everything and yet with no DEF or DPF. Something to read on that subject. Clarkson on: diesel - BBC Top Gear

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
Well, it does sound like an interesting challenge that you've set for yourself.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I know it won't be easy. The Cruze is the wife's car and when choosing her next vehicle she wanted something capable of running 12's again. If I don't get there I'll have fun trying. I own a performance shop and this type of thing is what I do. I am interested in tuning the car myself, but HP Tuners doesn't seem to have anything yet and EFI Live from what I can tell is only in Beta for it yet and doesn't show anything for the transmission which to me is the worst in the factory tuning. The trans tuning alone will improve how it drives a ton as well as improve performance more than adding power. For now the Trifecta may be the starting point in that respect, but I plan to make a call this week to check into a possible methanol kit install. Banks has been gaining really big with their methanol kits which look to be a snow performance type of a kit. Meth injection would be a nice possible option since I've seen impressive gains from it all the while keeping all factory emissions equipment on the car. Among things on the list for testing will be pre-tuned systems until I have the software to tune the trans and engine myself. Meth kit as mentioned, but once again that is something I'm going to get info on and if I end up putting it on I'll dyno it (have my own dyno in the shop) and test it at the track. Seibon sells a carbon fiber hood, trunk lid, fenders, etc and hopefully those will take some weight off as well as improve the look. Any weight loss on the car will only be a huge help in better milage as well as making it quicker. I see that there are injectors available for it now, but I want to see how far I can get it before cracking anything. For track runs it will be on a drag radial.

On a side note: I will not remove any DPF or DEF system from the car. I am a firm believer that the DEF and DPF systems are important to keep. Anyone who has done any reading into how important they are should know what I mean. Too many believe that if they get better milage by removing them they must be cleaner when in fact it is no where close to that. Europe is finally realizing this now as they have been selling diesels in everything and yet with no DEF or DPF. Something to read on that subject. Clarkson on: diesel - BBC Top Gear
Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on the progress of the build. Cool article by Clarkson. I agree that the problem is trucks. Personally I think the solution is to cap emissions on the trucks. I see far too many on the roads (still) that leave a smokescreen behind them.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Definitely keep us updated on your progress. Not many guys have wives who want really fast cars.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I dont see 12's without extwnsive engine mods including camshafts and headwork along side of a larger turbo. Or at the least stronger pistons and internals to handle.more boost. We dont have the aftermarket support like honda civic owners. Its not impossible but given the cars nature it might be more realistic and fun to choose a better donor car.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I see that there are injectors available for it now, but I want to see how far I can get it before cracking anything.
Yea Bosch makes a really good set of injectors Bosch - Bosch Green Giant 42# Injectors (4) #
I do thijk you'll need some internal mods as well even slapping on the front mount IC (if they make one for the diesel), downpipe/midpipe, catback, meth injection, tune, injectors considering the diesels are all autos you would need to build some boost off the line (similar to brake boosting) or that turbo lag is gonna get you off the line and you may bog a bit depending on the launch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife wanted me to get rid of my truck for a good gas mileage car. I ended up going to a cruze diesel because I've seen what can be done with diesel trucks with lil work. I think it's cool what your going to accomplish and look forward to try and copy what you do. Haha. I hate being the first guy to test things. The tranny is probably the only thing that scares me about this car.. well that and aluminum heads. Your right about tuning the transmission.. the shift points are horrible! I like the lockup on the torque converter though.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Yea Bosch makes a really good set of injectors Bosch - Bosch Green Giant 42# Injectors (4) #
I do thijk you'll need some internal mods as well even slapping on the front mount IC (if they make one for the diesel), downpipe/midpipe, catback, meth injection, tune, injectors considering the diesels are all autos you would need to build some boost off the line (similar to brake boosting) or that turbo lag is gonna get you off the line and you may bog a bit depending on the launch.
I don't think those Bosch injectors would work on a diesel.

·
10,711 Posts
My wife wanted me to get rid of my truck for a good gas mileage car. I ended up going to a cruze diesel because I've seen what can be done with diesel trucks with lil work. I think it's cool what your going to accomplish and look forward to try and copy what you do. Haha. I hate being the first guy to test things. The tranny is probably the only thing that scares me about this car.. well that and aluminum heads. Your right about tuning the transmission.. the shift points are horrible! I like the lockup on the torque converter though.
Trifecta reworked the shift points with their tune, the asin trans are usually the better bunch out there especially compared to the 1.4 counterpart.

I don't think those Bosch injectors would work on a diesel.
I hit active topic and end up in here on accident at times too. AG doesn't let you see sigs if you didn't catch where you are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good catch on those injectors, they most certainly are not for a diesel. They are the replacement for the 42lb hr Ford Motorsport injectors made by Bosch used in the Ford Lightning truck factory. My wife does like going fast, right now when she has the itch to play around she drives my truck. I know the Cruze isn't made for going fast, but due to it's weight I should be able to get at least into the low 13's if not 12's at around 300RWHP. I'll try to document any and all mods for fun if nothing else. First mod is going to be tinted windows, not much for power. Down here in Vegas it's needed. Hopefully by the end of the year it'll have a tune on it and the carbon fiber hood. I'm hoping with the carbon fiber hood, trunk lid, fenders, spoiler, etc it takes off a hundred pounds or so. After I pay for membership I'll post a picture of the shop and dyno.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
I wanna see a Cruze LS1/rwd swap. I mean, if they can do it in Miatas, it can't be too far off for a Cruze. May have to make some body mods, but it would be all in good fun.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I smell a troll sorry but lets be realistic here. look at dragtimes.com even the big tuner companies for our cars cant break 13's and they sell their tunes/products based partly off their success. i just dont see it and it sounds like you are a newbie so you have alot to learn before wishing upon a 12 second cruze.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I smell a troll sorry but lets be realistic here. look at dragtimes.com even the big tuner companies for our cars cant break 13's and they sell their tunes/products based partly off their success. i just dont see it and it sounds like you are a newbie so you have alot to learn before wishing upon a 12 second cruze.
Maybe if he drops in that 2.0T from the verano but still would need significant mods :p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts