Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I am posting this from the UK as I am in need of some expert advice and there is no better place to come too than this forum.

I have a 2013 Vauxhall Zafira with a 1.4L Turbo A14Net engine and I am having some issues with it. The vehicle has been well maintained and serviced within GM / Vauxhall recommendations by the dealer themselves and the vehicle has done 155 000 miles.

A couple of weeks ago the vehicle started to run-on or dieseling. Not sure if you use the same term in the USA, but when you turn the ignition off the vehicle will continue to run for a few seconds and then stop in a rough and noisy manner. This is intermittent and seems to only do it if you run the engine for a few minutes before switching off. Whilst this intermittent running on issue was happening, the head gasket blew and this was fixed by an independent garage. Prior to that I had the oil cooler replaced by the same independent garage.

My questions is what would cause the intermittent run-on or dieseling? The independent garage has read the codes and says its coming up with under boost pressure errors. They have checked the turbo and say its fine. they suspect it could be the inlet manifold or the PCV valve. Do I need to replace the inlet manifold?

Has anyone else encountered these issue on this engine and what was the fix?

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
940 Posts
Hi Rob,
Thanks for buttering us up. :D

Has anyone else encountered these issue
I've been watching these forums for years, your problem is rare but not unheard of.
what was the fix?
Most likely it is a combination of couple different issues. Likely the fuel injectors, and/or possibly the PCV system providing fuel to the shut down engine. And you also (yes also, you have at least two problems) have a heat source igniting the fuel. Since you had the gasket blow the engine should have been cleaned out at that point, I'm leaning towards a spark plug issue.

Here is the deal Rob, start with the easy cheap stuff. Then if more is needed we'll do that later. :cool:
1) Replace the all spark plugs with AC Delco 41-121 plugs.
2) Get a bottle of good fuel system cleaner with PEA in it. It has to have PEA. I don't know what you have available, but I recommend Techron.
3) Fill up on 98 RON gas, then take a nice spirited ride and push the engine a bit. Italian tune up.

A little disclaimer, I spent about a half and hour trying to confirm the proper spark plugs and failed. I even pulled your owners manual, I don't get it. :mad: Anyway, just get the full iridium OE plugs for the car. No other plugs, not more fancy not cheaper, get the OE plugs.

If this doesn't do it, we'll go into phase 2. :LOL:

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,634 Posts
Hi All.

I am posting this from the UK as I am in need of some expert advice and there is no better place to come too than this forum.

I have a 2013 Vauxhall Zafira with a 1.4L Turbo A14Net engine and I am having some issues with it. The vehicle has been well maintained and serviced within GM / Vauxhall recommendations by the dealer themselves and the vehicle has done 155 000 miles.

A couple of weeks ago the vehicle started to run-on or dieseling. Not sure if you use the same term in the USA, but when you turn the ignition off the vehicle will continue to run for a few seconds and then stop in a rough and noisy manner. This is intermittent and seems to only do it if you run the engine for a few minutes before switching off. Whilst this intermittent running on issue was happening, the head gasket blew and this was fixed by an independent garage. Prior to that I had the oil cooler replaced by the same independent garage.

My questions is what would cause the intermittent run-on or dieseling? The independent garage has read the codes and says its coming up with under boost pressure errors. They have checked the turbo and say its fine. they suspect it could be the inlet manifold or the PCV valve. Do I need to replace the inlet manifold?

Has anyone else encountered these issue on this engine and what was the fix?

Thanks

Rob
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Zafira here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts