Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How To: 1.4 Turbo Boost Gauge Install (Picture Heavy)

Hello this is how I installed my glow shift tinted color 9 series in my 2013 cruze 1.4t eco mt.
I wish this was out there when I installed. (sorry this website downsized my pictures)

Difficulty easy

Materials/ tools
Gauge
6 ft vacuum line to fit
T fitting
Fuse tap X2
a way to mount gauge
2 ft x3 of dif color 18 gauge wire for power constant /switched /ground
something to poke through a grommet (screw driver)

Setup
IMG_1438.jpg IMG_1436.jpg day gauge.jpg
So I started right to the left of the instrument cluster with the vacuum line and my 3 wires. On the left side where the carpeting on dash is I tucked the line in and ran the rest through were the steering Colum is (there is a gap on both sides.
For the wires I tucked under the instrument clusters shades and tucked on the right side also running through where the steering column is on the right side.
Now pull all wires except the ground through the fuse door. The ground can be easily attached under the knee airbag with the bolt to the chassy.
The constant power can be found at # 5 7.5 Amp fuse. display face plate. The switched power can be found at #6 or #7 outlet power.

IMG_1444.jpg
*If no fuse taps are available you can just place wire in fuse connector and jam fuse in after but that’s pretty sketchy and don’t blame me if u do that and something bad happens.
Now this part is only true for the manual transmission as far as I am aware.
To the left of the clutch pedal GM saves the day by adding a spot you can easily poke a screwdriver through and feed your vacuum line through.
IMG_1445.jpg
Once fed through the grommet you must fish it through behind the coolant expansion tank.
IMG_1450.jpg
Once in the engine bay I covered the line with wire sheath (optional) Try to avoid hot things (coolant lines) 200 degrees could melt your line leaving u with a lean condition at idol and a boost leak.
IMG_1446.jpg

I got sketch at this point I could have just detatched the green and black vacuum line from the Manifold (just a few tugs it comes off) to the waste gate control thing to the manifold T into and use a 2” piece from the 6 ft and been fine but The butcher came out and cut the line in half so please excuse the mess. The line can be found right above the alternator pull the line off manifold not the little box looking thing underneath. (also a throttle body spacer could be used)

IMG_1448.jpg IMG_1449.jpg
Good Luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm so keen to add this mod :) might order the same Boost Gauge as your's $60 bucks AUD can't go wrong

Great Post Would read again A++

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
If you will boil a pot of water and dip your vacuum line in there for about 15 sec then pull it tight it will make it a lot easier to work with and wont want to "coil"

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Intake manifold vacuum/pressure gauge, why not use a neoprene vacuum line instead of that piece of plastic? Have several of those gauge laying around, ha, can just route the line between the hood and firewall to check my boost pressure.

I assume those wires are just for the light bulb, only needed when its dark. Supra came with a boost gauge, rarely look at it, too busy watching where I am going and looking out for cops, LOL. It reads from -4 to +18 psi, but at -4 is where you get the best fuel economy.

Use to sell the vacuum gauges only, if not showing above 15"/Hg, you are getting poor fuel economy, but you also learn that at the gas station.

Practically standard in aircraft, helps you trim your prop at altitude, but the real gauge you really had to watch was exhaust manifold temperature since you have complete control on mixture. Too lean and will fry your valves with no place to pull over and park. On this gauge would be extremely useful in automotive, they also run super hot with EGR problems that can fry up exhaust valves. Instead, they do this implicitly.

Also use to se

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice job! Got a link to the gauge?
GlowShift | Black 7 Color 30 PSI Turbo Boost Vacuum Gauge
they also sell a gauge that measures in bar which i like better also a gauge for dual intake temps to watch pre innercooler and post innercooler in one twin needle gauge i like that alot pair that with a dual pillar from zzp and ur good to go. also i wired a dimmer for mine now because its uber bright stock. i ran my wire to the fog relay under the hood

·
Registered
4 Posts
To anyone who is going to run a mechanical boost gauge; I highly recommend you order Eaton Synflex Eclipse tubing instead of the nylon tubing. This tubing is much more flexible and easier to use. When nylon tube kinks it usually cracks which will leak. This tubing, being more flexible, is less likely to kink and leak.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just did this to my Cruze, and I love it! ehousel, I have a better (IMO) picture of the line you and I tapped into to get our boost reference. Feel free to use it if you want.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I added a wideband O2 sensor. Another gauge you could add would be oil pressure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I added a wideband O2 sensor. Another gauge you could add would be oil pressure.
is a oil pressure gauge fairly east like the turbo gauge to install? I would than plan on using the zzp pod ZZPerformance - Cruze Dual Gauge Pod #ZZ-CZ2POD and I would use the GlowShift | Black 7 Color 30 PSI Turbo Boost Vacuum Gauge for the boost gauge and than I would use GlowShift | Black 7 Color Oil Pressure Gauge with Electronic Pressure Sensor for the oil psi gauge is this a good combination or is there a better rout for me to go thanks for the imput

·
Registered
57 Posts
?????????????? is there anny thought on this set up? sugestions?
is a oil pressure gauge fairly east like the turbo gauge to install? I would than plan on using the zzp pod ZZPerformance - Cruze Dual Gauge Pod #ZZ-CZ2POD and I would use the GlowShift | Black 7 Color 30 PSI Turbo Boost Vacuum Gauge for the boost gauge and than I would use GlowShift | Black 7 Color Oil Pressure Gauge with Electronic Pressure Sensor for the oil psi gauge is this a good combination or is there a better rout for me to go thanks for the imput

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not a fan of Glowshift gauges, I have heard negative things about there quality/accuracy. Other then that, it's fine.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
HKS, Greddy or Blitz make the best looking gauges. The 60MM ones are it!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i believe an oil pressure gauge would require a oil pressure sensor tapped into an oil line somewhere then run wires to gauge which is pretty straight forward you must make sure the gauges are the correct size for the zzp gauge pod though the one shown in the how to is 52mm which may be small for that

1 - 20 of 48 Posts