Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this engine has been around for a while, was glancing for 1.4 turbo engine mods and came across this. Anyone know if this is same engine (looks very similar) and if these mods (which are extensive) really could end up at 260hp?

List of mods to make 260Hp on the 1.4 Turbo engine - Punto Sports Club Forum

If it's possible, which items on the list have the most significant advantages?

·
Registered
238 Posts
HAHA, do you know how much all that would cost...don't bother. Just buy a car with a real engine. Its a 1.4, get real

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
I know this engine has been around for a while, was glancing for 1.4 turbo engine mods and came across this. Anyone know if this is same engine (looks very similar) and if these mods (which are extensive) really could end up at 260hp?

List of mods to make 260Hp on the 1.4 Turbo engine - Punto Sports Club Forum

If it's possible, which items on the list have the most significant advantages?
:eek:mg:, yeah i stopped adding the prices after the pistons, already up to ~$4000. If I had that kind of money to throw out like that, **** yeah I'd do that. It'd be one nice Cruze! Buuuut I don't so I'm going to say that idea is A-S-I-N-I-N-E. lol.

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
Definitely not the same engine- this was for a Fiat. The new Fiat's 1.4 (with turbo) will be used in the new Dodge Dart, though, if you wanna trade your Cruze in next year and do this... Then again, the Dart will also have a 2.4 R/T option (no turbo).

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Ok, well lets keep it at what it is, forget the price, is it possible and is it the same engine?

Also, another list of possible mods:

SEMA Sneak Peek – R Miller Chevy Cruze | Low Life Style x Junk Styles | car + culture collective

Would there be any combination from both lists that would have considerable gains when combined... under 1k?
Tune it. ~$450. Then start saving for the other goodies. There isn't much out there for this car just yet, but check out zzperformance.com for the Cruze. Theres exhaust components and an intercooler kit that should get you pretty close to 200. Its a start. The car is still too new, but aftermarket performance parts are coming.

·
Registered
29 Posts
aren't they working on a tune that has already dynoed at 237 ft lbs to the wheels on an otherwise stock eco?? if you need more than what a tune will get you, you need something with a v8...like a camaro or vette, then start modding and adding a turbo to. 240 ft lbs in a car weighing 3000 lbs will be stupid quick.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
From what I have read, for the Dodge Dart the base engine is a 2.0 non turbo, the next step up is a 1.4 Turbo (same engine as Fiat 500 Abarth) and then the R/T 2.4 non turbo. The 1.4 T with Aero package is being rated at 41 mpg highway.

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
From what I have read, for the Dodge Dart the base engine is a 2.0 non turbo, the next step up is a 1.4 Turbo (same engine as Fiat 500 Abarth) and then the R/T 2.4 non turbo. The 1.4 T with Aero package is being rated at 41 mpg highway.
You are correct, Sir.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
aren't they working on a tune that has already dynoed at 237 ft lbs to the wheels on an otherwise stock eco?? if you need more than what a tune will get you, you need something with a v8...like a camaro or vette, then start modding and adding a turbo to. 240 ft lbs in a car weighing 3000 lbs will be stupid quick.
Yeah it did, but for a split second. I considerate that 237 a 'torque spike', not a true number, because it falls off the grid instantly. You're not going to see those numbers without other modifications, hands down. The intercooler and piping sucks, exhaust is restrictive as ****. If they can find a way to flatten that 237 across 2500rpms and not 25, then I'll be a believer.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I wish the Dart had been available, as I would have looked hard at it. MultiAir is supposed to be a great boon for small engines, and turbo engines. A small, turbo engine with MultiAir should be pretty darned good. I've heard that the gearing isn't what it could be, though.

Eh, this car has enough torques and ponies for me. I got it for the fuel economy, and it's delivering nicely. If a reliable tune comes out for more power later, great!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, thanks for all the updates/discussions guys. I do have the trifecta tune on the way (thursday) and am looking for a few upgrades to pair with this.

I agree, all the above is overkill for this engine, mainly want to use this extensive list to pick 2-3 items that pair together well for a good performance upgrade. Saw the items from zzperformance and others, would anyone have a good recommendation of things to add on top of the tune (all at one time - and complimenting each other)?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yea, thanks for all the updates/discussions guys. I do have the trifecta tune on the way (thursday) and am looking for a few upgrades to pair with this.

I agree, all the above is overkill for this engine, mainly want to use this extensive list to pick 2-3 items that pair together well for a good performance upgrade. Saw the items from zzperformance and others, would anyone have a good recommendation of things to add on top of the tune (all at one time - and complimenting each other)?
You're still missing the fact the link you posted is for a FIAT!!! Just because it is a 1.4L turbo engine doesn't mean it's the same!

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts

I created my own catback, but flowmaster is coming out with one for the 1.4/1.8 that should be around the same price as the magnaflow/borla kits that are already out. I would say pick your favorite of those, and pair it with the ZZP exhaust parts. Do the K&N sri, and work on the suspension/chassis bracing. You won't find many more parts out just yet, but those are a GREAT start.

Reactions: iCruze2

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
I think the biggest limiting factor for increasing HP for our Ecotec is the small stock Turbo size. The List for the Fiat 1.4 also shows a much bigger Garrett Turbo to up the HP.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
I think its more then just a bigger turbo. Our internals are just not strong enough.....we need A LOT more parts then just a bigger turbo and an intercooler. I still wanna see some numbers for the stock intercooler compared to zzps or lets say Mishimotos......

More air to the engine only means we need a better/bigger fuel pump and regulators, imo.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think its more then just a bigger turbo. Our internals are just not strong enough.....we need A LOT more parts then just a bigger turbo and an intercooler. I still wanna see some numbers for the stock intercooler compared to zzps or lets say Mishimotos......

More air to the engine only means we need a better/bigger fuel pump and regulators, imo.
You and that darn mishimoto!!! Regulator? No...fuel injectors? Yes, I am there already...wish I knew where to purchase some bigger injectors for the Cruze 1.4T!

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
i cant see a cruze being any faster then 190 hp at most, with the normal engine mods/ nothing crazy!

If you can get one to 190hp good for you and keep it up, i just cant see myself spending too much money on this cruze! it is a great car though!

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
LOL, same **** dude......its an intercooler, nothing crazy HAHAHAHA, ZZP, HEP, MISHI.....SAME STUFF!

You and that **** mishimoto!!!

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Only difference............different color piping lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts