Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my names Corey has anyone done a engine swap. I have a 2013 1.4 turbo engine with 101000 miles bad head. So I found a 2.0 Diesel engine. The Cruze with the 2.0 has no title and can get the whole car I’ll probably need the computer and everything from the parts car and fuel tank and lines what else or am I in over my head ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looking into parts now to change my struts and noticed the springs are different on certain models so maybe stiffer springs to handle heavier engine. Of course not that you need that to make engine run but just some info. Maybe exhaust also

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking into parts now to change my struts and noticed the springs are different on certain models so maybe stiffer springs to handle heavier engine. Of course not that you need that to make engine run but just some info. Maybe exhaust also
Yeah I forgot about that to thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
It won't worth the time and money to spend on parts. Electronics won't work either. Even from ECO to ECO, same engines but different years, things changed. I can imagine how bad it will be from different engines, not to mention different years built. I personally won't try it :)

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,210 Posts
While I commend you for your spirit...it's definitely not something I'd recommend.

Hell, even on the Cobalt forum, we wouldn't even recommend doing a transmission swap (usually auto to manual), simply because of how much **** you have to buy to do it - you're better off buying one.

The diesel especially will be beyond involved, because you have to replace the whole of the suspension (the diesel has 5x115 hubs, not 5x105 hubs, so you need to replace the rear as well), along with different struts/shocks/springs. And don't forget the entirety of the emissions system.

Reactions: Tomko and boraz

·
Registered
798 Posts
You're in over your head. There's absolutely no feasible reason someone would want to do this unless you absolutely don't care if it doesn't work and have another car to use in the mean time.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you want a diesel, sell your car and buy a diesel.
Amen to that. ^^^^ Talk about a huge job.

If the rest of the 1.4 is still in decent shape, then buy a new head, replace it and drive the car.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
You'd have to swap out the tank and fuel lines also. And probably trans also. Wiring. The list goes on and on.

If you got nothing better to do with your time and money to spend. Guess it would be a great hobby.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I guess it would be much easier if you swap just the title from gasser to the diesel, repaint it, swap vin #, and now you have a diesel in a gasser ownership.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
I guess it would be much easier if you swap just the title from gasser to the diesel, repaint it, swap vin #, and now you have a diesel in a gasser ownership.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
The best and illegal if caught suggestion. Let’s be real who looks at the vin deep in car. If you get the window and door panel vin swapped no one will tell.

Reactions: MP81

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
I’ll assume the diesel is beyond repair.

No I don’t think you’re over your head. Software wise is simple. Just follow this pattern.

1. Buy or borrow GM MDI.
2. Buy SPS for diesel VIN.
3. Start going down the line of modules. Reprogramming each module to the diesel VIN.
4. If SPS fails. Swap module for the one in the diesel and try again.

In the end you have a 2013 Cruze that the computers think is a diesel.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hello my names Corey has anyone done a engine swap. I have a 2013 1.4 turbo engine with 101000 miles bad head. So I found a 2.0 Diesel engine. The Cruze with the 2.0 has no title and can get the whole car I’ll probably need the computer and everything from the parts car and fuel tank and lines what else or am I in over my head ?
lmao. just get another head and replace it yourself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the frame the same for a diesel and gas powered? The reason I ask is the original T-100 Toyota pickup truck was going to come out with a Cummins Diesel engine but after installation it twisted the frame so bad that it was undrivalble.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
594 Posts
Is the frame the same for a diesel and gas powered?
There is actually a difference where the engine mount goes on the passenger side front frame rail. Every diesel had a diesel specific bracket hand welded in place.

Anything is possible, especially since you have a running donor.

I'd be curious where to buy previously mentioned software.
The 2.0L would be cool in a older chassis.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
There is actually a difference where the engine mount goes on the passenger side front frame rail. Every diesel had a diesel specific bracket hand welded in place.

Anything is possible, especially since you have a running donor.

I'd be curious where to buy previously mentioned software.
The 2.0L would be cool in a older chassis.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
There are so many differences beside just the engine that it is economically beyond reason and better and cheaper to just buy a diesel.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
You got a four day weekend coming up next week?
You want to spend 8-12 hours a day on the project?
And the diesel is an entire running car?

You want to strip two cars, move wiring harnesses, computers, suspensions, subframe, fuel tank, fuel lines, EVERYTHING over to your car?
30 years ago, I might have thought that sounded like fun.
The good news is you get leather seats, stronger hubs and I believe bigger brakes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts