Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have,

I got the vtuner ones, they work great!

Installing them was removing the head, *I burned my valve guide seals with a really hot self tune
It was a 20 hour rebuild and i took the head in to a machine shop to get everything rebuilt to factory spec and drop the valve springs in while it was apart.
The machine shop wanted $800 but they replaced all the seals in the head.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I just recently saw a youtube vid on timing chain replacement and thats no simple task without special tools. I can only image doing the valve springs entails.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I have,
It was a 20 hour rebuild and i took the head in to a machine shop to get everything rebuilt to factory spec and drop the valve springs in while it was apart.
The machine shop wanted $800 but they replaced all the seals in the head.
Markj2222- You've been one of the most aggressive tuners/ repair guys on the forum, so I don't doubt your experience. I've never rebuilt an engine anywhere near the level that you've played with this 1.4L turbo. Why would you spend $800 rebuilding an old head, when you probably could have gotten a used head a lot cheaper?

I remember you saying you have the timing tools to remove the head, and you've done it in the car. Just wondering what the machine shop can do that's worth the expense over a low mileage salvage head?

·
Registered
354 Posts
it started at $400 but it is alot of work to rebuild 16 valves. I found an auto 1.4 at a local wrecker for $800 (original 1600 but talked him down)

So when i made the decision it was supposed to be cheaper then buying a engine on a pallet, but after tearing it down and sourcing all the valve seals and such my quote doubled.

In hind sight i would do it the same, im excited to push the limits. But i have yet to find a tune that can get me over 220 whp safely. Its more of an issue of i cant source any ev14 #52 or #60's locally. And too many Canadian pesso's to make one USD

Reactions: Merc6

·
Vendor
990 Posts
You can't go too much higher than 220WHP without an upgraded fuel pump FYI. BNR has pistons and valve springs and an upgraded turbo that can support 230WHP OP.

Check us out www.badnewsracing.net

·
Vendor
990 Posts
it started at $400 but it is alot of work to rebuild 16 valves. I found an auto 1.4 at a local wrecker for $800 (original 1600 but talked him down)

So when i made the decision it was supposed to be cheaper then buying a engine on a pallet, but after tearing it down and sourcing all the valve seals and such my quote doubled.

In hind sight i would do it the same, im excited to push the limits. But i have yet to find a tune that can get me over 220 whp safely. Its more of an issue of i cant source any ev14 #52 or #60's locally. And too many Canadian pesso's to make one USD

You should get on the CT facebook group if you aren't already. One of our customers is pushing 30+psi from our GTX and the thing is a rocket

·
Registered
354 Posts
You should get on the CT facebook group if you aren't already. One of our customers is pushing 30+psi from our GTX and the thing is a rocket
I've been trying to contact you for a injectors and a tune through Facebook, badnewsracing.3dcartstores.com, and the forum here. Im ready when you are!

Just for context from the outside viewer, my situation is not plug and play. I have a 3in intake which is pleaging my MAF readings. Trifecta failed to tune dyno tune it and ignored me afterwards after dropping $1000 on them, then i tried to self tune and quickly ran into the same limits at Trifecta. Currently im using an old trifecta ECP tune on stock injectors to keep cruise control working with my 3in intake.

My bypass circuit also ruins the MAF flow reading, as its not an internal bypass but is being redirected into the intake.

And to be clear i want it all, cruise control, no rapid fueling changes from false maf readings when turbo is releasing pressure. And i want 30+ psi of boost, So im stuck between a specially made Tune or a specially made intake that can make a MAF sensor happy *if possible with external bypass

1 - 8 of 8 Posts