Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got this intake system a couple days and installed it, i havent seen much on the internet about it, so i wanted to see what you guys and gals thought about it. I can post a video showing how it sounds when i rev the engine if you all want, just let me know.

20150501_181230.jpg

·
Registered
533 Posts
I got one right after they came out too! It looked really good with a NON OILED filter. It feels built VERY well! And easy instillation! No performance difference (wasn't expecting any) but very good sound! Makes the whole car throatier and the turbo is very audible now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
279 Posts
I put on a CXRacing intake last week and took it off this week, I thought it would help but it actually hurt my gas mileage. Did sound better but to me not worth the gas loss, and a loss of power on lower gears. Anyone else have the same results as me??

·
Registered
990 Posts
I put on a CXRacing intake last week and took it off this week, I thought it would help but it actually hurt my gas mileage. Did sound better but to me not worth the gas loss, and a loss of power on lower gears. Anyone else have the same results as me??

you won't see any power or mpg lose since the pcm controls the power the engine makes. The mpg lose could be from being in the gas longer to hear the bpv

·
Registered
151 Posts
Finally an intake that looks to have a semi-decent heat shield. Wonder if it will help with horrible IAT associated with a SRI.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Finally an intake that looks to have a semi-decent heat shield. Wonder if it will help with horrible IAT associated with a SRI.
I'm not sure the heat shield will do much as it looks to have the same flaws as the K&N, huge gaps where it will be allowed to suck in hot engine compartment air.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm not sure the heat shield will do much as it looks to have the same flaws as the K&N, huge gaps where it will be allowed to suck in hot engine compartment air.
Actually, after installing it, it does not have any huge gaps that i can see. It fits in VERY tightly. It seems to be doing well. I never checked IAT values before the install, but i can say that I know the IAT's go up when idling for a while or after getting back to the car when its been off for a while (temps 140+) but whenever the car is moving, IAT's are usually only around 20 degrees above ambient from what i have seen

·
Registered
151 Posts
Probably not perfect, but the best I have seen. The gaps can probably be filled pretty easy if it covers most of the large areas. Looks like the bottom is molded pretty well to fit snugly. Actually it honestly looks really good to me. The only spots that seem questionable is behind the headlight and the A/C line in the rear. Both easily sealed with a bit of work.

·
Administrator
15,628 Posts
I have the same impression.

Air will flow down the easiest path. You don't need more than the equivalent of a 2.75" circle's worth of area to start sucking through hot air from the engine bay. The heat shields are only practical for blocking radiating heat.

That's beside the fact that these filters have a surprisingly low filtration surface area due to a very low pleat density.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Luckily the filter is replaceable. I'm confident that area can be sealed well too. With that turbo right there blocking radiated heat is a huge benefit.

·
Administrator
15,628 Posts
Luckily the filter is replaceable. I'm confident that area can be sealed well too. With that turbo right there blocking radiated heat is a huge benefit.
Except the tidbit where the hot side of the turbo has its own heat shield.

Good luck getting that area to seal effectively, especially when the hood closes. More trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
151 Posts

Good luck getting that area to seal effectively, especially when the hood closes. More trouble than it's worth.
I've done it plenty of times before with much worse to start with on a variety of turbo cars. Heat shield helps but still radiates significant amounts of heat.

·
Administrator
15,628 Posts
I've done it plenty of times before with much worse to start with on a variety of turbo cars. Heat shield helps but still radiates significant amounts of heat.
By definition it doesn't radiate anything if there's a heat shield. Whatever heat hits the filter comes from high under-hood temps in this car.

To be effective, you will also need to wrap the intake tube with heat wrap.

Once you're done, you'll realize it was a waste of time since you still have to go through an intercooler and your net IAT drop will be in the single digits. Negligible.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts

There are a few aftermarket company's that offer a sealed box with a high flow filter, do a google image search for Volant Intake. This would be the only way to have a truly sealed intake area. Looking that these though, seems like allot of money just to use a different filter, as the factory box already accomplish this pretty well.

volant-cai-chevy-silverado-09plus-1.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the air box mod and K&N drop in before this AEM and there is a night and day difference in sound. Vastly more audible with AEM.

This AEM is fantastic quality, fit, and sound. Performance on a 1.4 motor wasn't even in the question for me, however a noticeably increased driveability. Take that in any direction you may. Sound is fantastic for spool and recirc valve almost resembles an atmospheric valve now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts