Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was using the slap stick on my 2013 Chevy Cruz and while in 6th gear I started up a hill, on the highway, and the car continued to slow and would not take gas. I even pushed the pedal to the floor and it continued to slow, so I shifted back into automatic. I've tried using the slap stick twice and both times this has happened. Is this normal in the Cruze? Do you have to shift into a lower gear when going up hills? I have a Dodge Avenger that also has a slap stick and I have not had this experience with it. Should I be concerned or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
43 Posts
When you are in manual mode the car will not upshift as you go up a hill as you are commanding it to stay in 6th gear. You have to manually downshift for it to gain speed.

I was using the slap stick on my 2013 Chevy Cruz and while in 6th gear I started up a hill, on the highway, and the car continued to slow and would not take gas. I even pushed the pedal to the floor and it continued to slow, so I shifted back into automatic. I've tried using the slap stick twice and both times this has happened. Is this normal in the Cruze? Do you have to shift into a lower gear when going up hills? I have a Dodge Avenger that also has a slap stick and I have not had this experience with it. Should I be concerned or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I figured it out on my way home. I don't remember having that problem with the Avenger, but my wife tried the manuel option in it and said it did the same thing. As you can tell we aren't stick shifters. It's a good thing the slap sticks are supposed to be dummy proof, I guess, Lol!

·
Administrator
25,082 Posts
The Cruze has a small engine so depending on the speed and steepness of the hill you may have to downshift. Going uphill I would let the ECU control the transmission. On the way down use the manual mode to lower your gear to increase engine braking. I drive a manual and find the Cruze AT's manual mode someone odd as well.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I drive a manual and find the Cruze AT's manual mode some what odd as well.
What is odd about it? It works just like a manual transmission car in manual mode, it will not downshift on throttle inputs. Only difference instead of stalling like your manual trans will if you let the RPM fall to low for the given gear it has programmed downshift points still like any other automatic or like in full automatic mode.

If what your talking about is the set points you can shift into each gear(shift denied message), I can see why that would irritate most manual trans drivers. One just needs to learn the upshift points speed or RPM, think all gears can be upshifted into at 2,000RPM but not before.

The real problem is most people expect the manual mode to work like most other cars. Example, say I select M5 most cars will still fully auto shift M1-M5 and if given enough throttle input will still downshift the same as auto mode.

A few years back a few ECO automatic owners claimed their cars still automatically downshifted on throttle inputs when in manual mode, looking around at the time I did find one article online claiming the ECO automatic had different trans programming. Never did confirm if this is true.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts