Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2011 [COLOR=#67B045 !important]Cruze LT with the RS package and 88,000 miles. It has the red/brown leather which I like very much. The car will eventually be for my 15 year old son. I read all about the turbo issues before I bought it so I kept my offer low just in case. When I drove it no light were on but on my way home that dreaded [COLOR=#67B045 !important]check[/COLOR] [COLOR=#67B045 !important]engine light[/COLOR] came on... of course P0299. I pulled the turbo this weekend. I need to replace it. [/COLOR] Question - I have located a 2014 parts car with 32,000 miles. I will likely get lots of different thoughts on this but should I try and get this used Turbo or just buy a new one? Did GM improve the Turbo or is the 2014 version the same as the one 2011 version? Your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would say the choices are New or Rebuilt. Don't want to mess with a used turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can speak from personal experience here. I removed old, installed used, removed used, and re-installed old over the course of two days, this past weekend. I bought one with 400 miles on it and it turned out to be junk. When inspecting it everything was great, but when I pushed the gas pedal, after it was installed, the car would barely move. I pulled it out and separated the turbine housing from the compressor housing the mounting flange fell out of the clamp in pieces. This is one part that I would not buy used unless you are staring at it and can pull it apart. I would buy new. You are going to be spending $300ish more but you will also have piece of mind.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Had a new one fail, got a replacement from gm dealer as i wasn't willing to wait for a re-cored turbo. Well the replacement failed at 2500 miles... Didn't get one oil change on it.

Hind sight it was the orange PCV check valve in the intake manfold that went missing, and subsequently killed a healthy turbo...
Killed a ball bearing turbo with heat when self tuning...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting on the PCV valve. Maybe I need to replace that as a precaution. What should I look for to see if it needs replaced?

Also.. I bought a turbo from my local GM dealership. They of course had it in stock. The list price is $702.41 and that is the price at the dealer. I showed them a print out from GMPartsDirect with a price of $531.03 and they matched it. The used one from a junkyard was $300 so I just bought the new one. Not sure if it is new or rebuilt but it is not used.

·
Registered
354 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts