Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, long time reader, new member. I recently completed this fix and I'm having a strange issue. Car is a 2012 cruze 1.4 rs. I'm getting 108" of water (vacuum) at the dipstick at idle, causing a chirping sound at the crank seal. I replaced the valve cover with what was suppose to be oem but based on some dissimilarities, I think it's an aftermarket. I don't appear to have any external vacuum leaks and the car runs normal except the chirping/squeeking. I'd replace the crank seal but I don't feel it's the true issue. Could someone share some advice? My first thoughts are either a leaking intake manifold gasket or the valve cover has a bad "diaphragm/check valve". Thanks in advance. Car has 62k miles with no issues before this recent orange valve disappearance followed by valve cover failure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After a night of troubleshooting, I have the issue narrowed down to an internal leak of the valve cover between the diaphragm and the intake vacuum port. My findings are based off of closing the diaphragm manually via a small hole drilled in the center and the crankcase holding vacuum with the engine off. If I had a sudden loss of vacuum after engine off, I would relate it to an intake manifold vacuum leak but it would still have to route past the diaphragm. I believe my issue lies in a poorly manufactured vacuum passage in the valve cover. I should be receiving an oem cover in the mail within the next few days. Based on GM technical service bullitens, vacuum at idle should be no higher than -30 inches of WATER. I encourage anyone with a squeeking crank seal or dipstick to vacuum check their engine for an excessive vacuum condition. I'll update this thread as I continue troubleshooting and repair.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Hey all, long time reader, new member. I recently completed this fix and I'm having a strange issue. Car is a 2012 cruze 1.4 rs. I'm getting 108" of water (vacuum) at the dipstick at idle, causing a chirping sound at the crank seal. I replaced the valve cover with what was suppose to be oem but based on some dissimilarities, I think it's an aftermarket. I don't appear to have any external vacuum leaks and the car runs normal except the chirping/squeeking. I'd replace the crank seal but I don't feel it's the true issue. Could someone share some advice? My first thoughts are either a leaking intake manifold gasket or the valve cover has a bad "diaphragm/check valve". Thanks in advance. Car has 62k miles with no issues before this recent orange valve disappearance followed by valve cover failure.
I'm thinking the check valve in the intake manifold.....isn't there anymore.
That'll make some rather high vacuum readings.......but I wouldn't be surprised if the noise is still present once it is proven still in position or manifold replaced due to valve no longer present.

While at idle, raise the dipstick to see if the sound goes away........If it does, the seal lips may have been damaged either by this or a earlier high vacuum situation.

Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey rob, thanks for the reply. Had no noise before the intake manifold non-return disappeared. I don't doubt the high vacuum could have hurt my seal but I want to fix the high vacuum before I replace the seal.

I did the bnr throttle body spacer and replacement check valve fix suggested on this forum and it all appears to be fine. My concern is the unusually high vacuum. Being that GM states normal vacuum is between -12- -18 inches of water, im curious what others get, real world.

As told in "the fix" my non return is now sealed off. I verify this by my crankcase holding vacuum after engine off. If it was leaking now, the vacuum would bleed off rather quickly and may even have an audible whistle. But a leak internally to the valve cover would hold vacuum because the vacuum is present in a sealed environment.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
From what I understand, the vacuum comes from the intake manifold and though the check valve. I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a restriction there or not. I'd re-check the instructions to see if there's something missing from your install. Otherwise, I tend to think the PCV in the valve cover is not doing it's job in regulating the vacuum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to close out this thread. I installed a genuine gm valve cover and my vacuum reading is about -16 inches of water and no more squeaking crank seal. I suggest anyone with a squeaking crank seal to check the vacuum level of their car before replacing it. No doubt, I would have been replacing the crank seal if I let this issue go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I used an old vacuum/pressure gauge used to check for issues in older vehicles and converted from in. Hg. (Inches of mercury) to inches of vacuum. Harbor freight sells a vacuum gauge/10psi fuel pressure gauge that would work. (Part 62637) I shaved down a piece of 1/4" fuel line to fit snug in the dipstick hole. Anything over 2 in. Hg, isn't normal at idle, based on my research of forum posts and GM technical service bullitens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my instance, I had almost 8 inches of mercury, which is about 110 inches of water. And that resulted in my squeaking crank seal. It turns out I had an internal leak in the valve cover which I confirmed by bench testing with a vacuum pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been using cruzetalk.com to get ideas on how to fix my 2013 Cruze LTZ turbo. I found this article that is closest to what I'm seeing/hearing, but mine is slightly different... i think. The main problem is excessive oil in the throttle body(it was so much that it leaked onto a coolant hose and the hot oil caused the coolant hose to bubble up and crack) and I've checked the 2 PCV valves. The small nipple is visible AND I replaced the PCV hose. Also tried covering the hole on the diaphragm but no vacuum or changes in performance, so its not the typical issue others are having. Code is P2227. My only thought is this squeak has something to do with the oil issue. Hoping someone can help this somewhat unique issue? Here is the video i uploaded so you can hear it for yourself.:
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2012 Cruze RS
83 Posts
I've been using cruzetalk.com to get ideas on how to fix my 2013 Cruze LTZ turbo. I found this article that is closest to what I'm seeing/hearing, but mine is slightly different... i think. The main problem is excessive oil in the throttle body(it was so much that it leaked onto a coolant hose and the hot oil caused the coolant hose to bubble up and crack) and I've checked the 2 PCV valves. The small nipple is visible AND I replaced the PCV hose. Also tried covering the hole on the diaphragm but no vacuum or changes in performance, so its not the typical issue others are having. Code is P2227. My only thought is this squeak has something to do with the oil issue. Hoping someone can help this somewhat unique issue? Here is the video i uploaded so you can hear it for yourself.:
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to CruzeTalk! - Heads up, try your best not to bump REALLY old threads.

Just because the nipple is there, does not mean it is functioning properly! The valve could be torn, have chunks of it missing, etc.. Also, check your spark plug torque. A spark plug that is not fully tightened could make a "chirp" sound.

What causes the P2227 code?
  • Faulty MAF (mass air flow) sensor
  • Faulty BARO sensor
  • Faulty ECM
  • Short or open condition in the BARO sensor circuit
  • Sticking idle air control valve
  • Clogged intake inlet- debris in airbox
  • Faulty throttle position sensor (TPS)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts