Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so let me start by saying this started out as a facebook question and through insight and knowledge from several different people i do believe we are about to have a major breakthrough for sonic and cruze platforms. i am about to have my heads ported and my cams reprofiled to maximize gains on our tiny turbo and engines. so what has been discussed so far you ask?

well i was asking about turbo upgrades and to make a long story short our engines need internal work to increase the amount of flow in order for a larger turbo to work. then we came to light that if our internals are done correctly then we could have higher gains with the stock turbo at ~12 psi then people who are trifecta tuned at 21 psi. basically i have family who owns a shop and has a flow bench and the ability to do whats needed to see if the gains will be cost effective to the general public. so my stepdad and I are going to experiment on possibly making some very big gains and if successful i will making cams and heads for the community to purchase.

so thats all i have for now but i will keep everyone updated on my progress. i will be taking my cruze to my stepdads shop probably beginning to mid of next month.

·
Administrator
15,756 Posts
Long discussion on this topic in the Trifecta group, but we decided it needed more organizing.

Mike here is looking at making power by increasing flow instead of boost; something I've been saying will need to happen for truly good power numbers to be achieved. I predict 14s in the 1/4 mile with the stock turbo once it's done...if the trans holds.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not necessarily. If done properly then it would be no different than having a trifecta tune. Just more horsepower. Standard driving habit should still yield 30+ mpg on an eco. (What I have) the goal is to have more flow so we can throw more HP gains and have the possibility of a turbo swap. Engine internals is first then drivetrain and axles, joints, and brakes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
are you planning on doing rods/pistons as well while you're in there? Do you know what kind of pressure our block/pistons/rods can handle before catastrophic failure?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Based on what knowledge of this motor? The transmission is rated for continuous use of ~290 HP. So your argument is invalid and your not a very smart person if you honestly believe that internal work will cause a blown engine. Internals strengthen the engine. Not weaken it.

You know who blows their engine?! Morons who do wastegate mods and suck there pistons Inside out. My gains will be make with lower boost pressure. Probably close to stock boost pressures with reinforced internals and more engine flow.

So explain to me how that pops a tranny or blows an engine? Take your negativity elsewhere.

·
Registered
247 Posts
At the end of the day you will still have a slow car relative to a faster car you buy right out of the box for the same or less money. Then for the manual guys your talking alot of drivetrain mods needed. All the support to you, but it is only cost effective to you since you have access to the tool/equipment.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Are you auto or manual? There are people eating trannys on stock tunes alone. GL on your build, sounds like you already thought this through.

Those are only the lemon cars though. I have yet to see a legitimate cruze blow a tranny.

Back to OP, I can not wait for this. I've been debating doing the head work but ill leave it to you and your stepdad first :p . I already have a lightweight Flywheel and Stage clutch so my drivetrain issues are solid for the time being ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
from what ive seen though the intake valves are pretty much the biggest that you can fit into the combustion chamber. and from the looks of it there is not too much room on the intake port to make that much bigger. but as for the exhaust you might be able to fit in a little bit larger valve in. for the porting there is a tremendouse amount of room that you can port. the exhaust port on the head is almost half as small as on the manifold. i know this because a buddy at work had to replace pistion rings on a 1.4. for the cam there is a lot of room the lobs are so tiny!!!!! beware though they have a funky cut to them. it looks like they are opening the valve then close a little them open the rest of the way up. its very small but if you look close you can see it. and with that thats all i know ahaha hopes it helps with your end goal

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the heads up. That should actually help my stepdad alot in figuring **** out before he pulls it apart. The valves I was going to replace with a harder, stronger material. Titanium alloy! :D but we will see what's cost effective.

·
Administrator
15,756 Posts
I have an auto. I know the auto is built stronger than the manual so I should be good.

I haven't really seen actual failures due to power in the manuals yet. It's the clutches that aren't strong enough from the factory. However, anything that goes on the manuals will likely be easier (and cheaper) to replace and upgrade than on the automatic.

As for everyone else here, you guys really need to stop ragging on this project saying something is going to blow. I don't want to sound rude, but this car isn't going to be built by idiots. We have a performance shop with a flow bench doing the work, and there will be no cutting of corners with this build. This project will demonstrate just how far we can push this engine. I have been waiting a long time for someone to heed my advice and get some head work done to really allow this turbo to breathe. Boost is nothing more than air pressure that has nowhere to go, and I know for a fact the heads were not designed for maximum flow. Lots of gains can be made in this arena and I think we're going to see just how much pretty soon.

With a FMIC and an upgraded turbo, forged rods and some upgraded pistons on a 7000RPM or even 7500RPM redline, this engine has the potential to exceed 400 crank hp. Let's cheer Mike on and drool as he makes something big happen.

Mike, be sure to post pictures of progress once it starts.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
I have an auto. I know the auto is built stronger than the manual so I should be good.

The MT is used in Vauxhauls pushing 270+ HP.

The auto...is rated for 180 hp/177 lb-ft. I reckon it's good for a little past 220, or that the CV's may blow up before the trans.

Nonetheless, good luck with the build!

·
Registered
408 Posts
The MT is used in Vauxhauls pushing 270+ HP.

The auto...is rated for 180 hp/177 lb-ft. I reckon it's good for a little past 220, or that the CV's may blow up before the trans.

Nonetheless, good luck with the build!
Most of us with tunes and bolt ons are pushing past those torque numbers in autos.

I'm not trying to piss on OP's parade but I wouldn't go in to this project with expectations of marketing something. If you have resources by all means go for it. I just don't see there being a large group of people building their Cruzes engine.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I'm excited to see this. I asked (but got missed), what/if any interior upgrades will be done? (to support future upgradee, IE: big turbo, more boost, etc, like Xtreme had talked about)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.