Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts
This sample didn't do so well. Looks like I might have an issue, got to investigate and find the problem.

That BN seems awful low for only 6680 miles
It's really not. I see nothing wrong with the above sample. As you know, TBN retention is nonlinear, and additive formulations are all proprietary and have different behaviors. It is a documented behavior of AMSOIL's detergent package to drop the TBN level very quickly, then hover above condemnation levels with very minor decreases for a long time. This behavior never correlates to an increase in soft metal wear, which is what you'd get when the alkalinity of the oil drops too low. Here's an example of a trending analysis from an HHR, which is far easier on oil than this car is.

TBN at 6,000 miles: 3.32
TBN at 13,669 miles (more than double): 3.08

These are automated replies from Polaris Labs, since they don't have someone making cute little comments like Blackstone does. Don't take them to heart as they are generic for all oil types. The oxidation would be the number to watch out for if you're concerned with deposit and sludge formation. Had you not told them you changed the oil, they would have recommended that you change the filter, top off, and go another 3500 miles or 3 months, like they did in this analysis, which had a TBN notably lower than yours and 16,150 miles of run time:

The recommendations from Polaris Labs with respect to AMSOIL's Signature Series oils are as follows:

If TBN is above 2.0, report as significantly low. Recommend filter change and resample after another 3500 miles or 3 months.
If TBN is below 2.0, report as critically low and recommend oil and filter change if not already done so.

TBN is not considered effectively depleted until it reaches 1.0.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
It is interesting, silicone in the oil could be attributed to poor air filtration and dust making it's way into and circulating in the engine oil.

Besides me, who is running stock air filtration? I have noted before that stock air filtration provides the best protection yet providing the air flow that I need to operate my car the way that I do.

I also noticed that v100 is only slightly higher than the 10.4 on the data bulletin, soot is only 1% of tolerable levels, which makes me wonder how long I could have gone with this oil?

I am inspired enough to get the bypass filter, but the exchange rate might make it very expensive, here in Canada.

One other note though, the ISO particle count test is limited to transmission, and hydraulic oils IAW the folks at CAT.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I run the original filter. We don't really have options except a K&N panel filter, OE, and like one cai

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts
It is interesting, silicone in the oil could be attributed to poor air filtration and dust making it's way into and circulating in the engine oil.

Besides me, who is running stock air filtration? I have noted before that stock air filtration provides the best protection yet providing the air flow that I need to operate my car the way that I do.

I also noticed that v100 is only slightly higher than the 10.4 on the data bulletin, soot is only 1% of tolerable levels, which makes me wonder how long I could have gone with this oil?

I am inspired enough to get the bypass filter, but the exchange rate might make it very expensive, here in Canada.

One other note though, the ISO particle count test is limited to transmission, and hydraulic oils IAW the folks at CAT.
There will always be silicone in the oil. Look at the other results. Some dirt always gets through no matter what. Your number was good. It increases with miles/km driven.

You would need to see the TBN of the oil to determine a drain interval. For now, stick with the rating on the bottle.

I assume you have a preferred customer account?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Here is my latest oil analysis. I wanted to get one done before my warranty expires in April.
I think it looks okay wish the chromium and iron were a little lower. That just has me worried with the piston rings that were failing on early 2011's. Oh and the intake duct was not on the throttle body completely so I have a feeling that is why my silicone was high on the earlier readings. The dealer probably didn't put it back when they were trying to sell me a throttle body cleaning. My next analysis will be from the one Amsoil sells. I just had one more black stone container and I wanted to use it.

11 GOLD CRUZE-031716.pdf.jpg

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts
~10,000 miles, 7 months, all tuned on e85 in Las Vegas, NV, running AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30.

I was worried about him going so long on a change of oil with e85, since it tends to cause higher acidity in oil and fuel dilution attracts a ton of water. It seems that the dry environment worked in Jon Nacy's favor. Note that this was a tuned e85 vehicle and made substantially more power than stock.
This is the first analysis I've received of an e85 run, which is why I'm sharing it here.

- Viscosity was 10.3. This oil starts at 10.4. I'm surprised at the lack of oxidation; I usually see that up in the 58-64 range at this mileage. This was pretty minimal, with no viscosity increase. I suspect a very small amount of fuel dilution; less than 1%, thinning the oil and negating the thickening effects of oxidation. It's pretty much the same as when it went in.

- TBN: Those of you who pay attention when I talk about oil will know that TBN isn't considered problematic until it drops to 1.0, and OAI/Polaris Labs doesn't recommend changing the oil unless it drops below 2.0. Although flagged, there is nothing concerning here.
- Boron is flagged as low but isn't actually low. The infrared sensors used to test Boron are clouded by contaminants in the oil, leading to a lower reported number on used oil than on new oil. The additive isn't actually depleted.

- Chromium (piston ring), Tin/Silver/Lead (bearing material), are all at zero wear. Copper (also a bearing material) is very low.
OAI did not read his notes correctly, and they thought he had NOT changed his oil and filter (which he did). As a result, they recommended changing the filter, topping off, and driving another 3,500 miles or 65 hours on this oil. That would have made this a ~13,500 mile interval in his conditions.

Note: For anyone else running e85 looking at this report, don't go out there running 13,500 miles on this oil. Areas of high humidity will respond differently to e85 and may cause a more rapid depletion of the TBN. Use oil analysis to determine your drain interval.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Does city driving in increase the wear metals in these oil analysis. I drive about 80% city and most of my trips are less than ten miles and I am wondering if that is why my iron and chromium are high.

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts
Does city driving in increase the wear metals in these oil analysis. I drive about 80% city and most of my trips are less than ten miles and I am wondering if that is why my iron and chromium are high.
Yes, that will increase wear metals and reduce oil life. Short trips and city driving especially.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Yes, that will increase wear metals and reduce oil life. Short trips and city driving especially.
Yep that is the majority of what I do. My daily drive to work is between 8 and 9 miles. All my stores are nearby and less than five minutes away. The only time I take it on the highway is part of the way to work and on the weekends which I say would be only about 10% to 20% on average.

Thanks for the response this sort put my fears to rest that something may be wrong with my engine. After this year I am going back to once year oil changes but will change the filter half way through the year. I just wanted to get one more sample of my oil before my warranty expires (also to see if my silicon count came down since I put the intake piping back on properly) and also to see how hard it is to change the oil. I would say this is probably the easiest car I ever owned to do an oil change. Now if I can only get the old oil up to the local gas station without spilling some of it I will be golden. lol :)

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Short trips are the worst kind of driving. To add to what XR is saying, short trips don't get the oil up to proper operating temp. This affects your oil in a few major ways:

1. Moisture content. If your oil never gets hot enough to boil off the moisture that forms in it, that moisture stays in the oil and builds up over time which depletes the oil's additive package and increases its acidity.

2. Fuel content. Similar to 1, fuel gets into the oil mainly on cold starts and doesn't get evaporated out if the oil never gets up to temp. Fuel content breaks down the oils additives with time also, and in extreme cases can lead to reducing (thinning) the oil's viscosity.

3. Anti-wear. Oils have anti wear additives that "adhere" to the surface of metal parts, but this only happens at high temperatures. Run your car through enough short trips without allowing the oil to get hot enough and these protective films can get worn away, leaving metal surfaces more vulnerable to damage.

This is mainly why a "time and/or mileage" statement is given for oil change intervals. If you are using UOA to determine your lube health you should be fine.

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts
Do you think the E85 hurt this sample? It is tuned for it, does that include the larger injectors?
Yes, on both questions. It is tuned, and it does have larger injectors. Given that he is in NY as opposed to the last e85 sample I posted, which was in Las Vegas (practically zero humidity), the effects of e85 were much more pronounced. The viscosity starts at 10.4 and he ended up at 10.2, and since not a single other analysis has ever shown shearing of the oil with normal gasoline, that can safely be assumed to be fuel dilution with e85. Normally, an analysis like this would come back between the high 10.x and low 11.x range due to slow oxidation. The thickening effects of oxidation were negated by the thinning effects of the fuel dilution, but since it was minimal, it wasn't actually measured for the exact percentage.

I recommended that he continue a 7,500 mile interval if tuned on E85. Polaris Labs did note that no maintenance action was needed at that time, since TBN was still above 2.0, but with full E85 use, 7,500 miles would be the upper limit of what I would run in a Cruze, with this specific oil.

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts
Another analysis came in recently with AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30, at 15,312 miles.

This is a stock Cruze 1.4T. Second change to AMSOIL. Filter changed at 7500 miles.

Seems Polaris Labs is getting a bit more user-friendly with their comments box.

I'd like to remind readers that when TBN (base number) comes in at above 2.0, they recommend an additional 3,500 miles of driving and a filter change, and if it comes in at below 2.0, they recommend an oil change. TBN is not considered totally depleted until it reaches 1.0. While the report is flagged severity 4 (critical), there is nothing wrong with this lubricant, and the wear levels on the engine are very low.

Wear levels are not noteworthy. Analysis report attached.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 101 Posts