Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm waiting on my car to accumulate some more miles. Last oil change, I ran it to 4% for the first time. Oil looked slightly green as it drained which is usually from aluminium content. If I take a poor analysis to the dealer, will they do anything more than laugh at me about it? Always using fully synthetic dexos oil. Pennzoil platinum euro the last 2 changes? Kendall prior to that.

Just realized this probably isn't the best place for this post. Feel free to delete it or move it....

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Well folks, I am back with a new oil sample for my Cruze @ 59965 Km's with nearly 24000 km's on the oil with a filter change @ 12000.

This oil sample was taken to Atlantic Cat like before but this time I deliberately deferred the oil change, in the hopes that they would change the reporting format to include TBN and other information to suggest predicted lifecycle of the oil.

You will notice that they did not, which is disappointing. I am convinced that they think that I sample my oil more often than 24000 KM.. "ALL READINGS APPEAR ACCEPTABLE AT THIS SAMPLING. CONTINUE SAMPLING AT YOUR NEXT SCHEDULED INTERVAL."

Also Atlantic Cat closed the lab and the samples are shipped to Montreal..

Therefore I will be moving on to another lab, and likely to dropping it in the mail.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,676 Posts
in the c engine increased power 170hp is better to pour the Amsoil dominator 10w-30?
if this is the oil for him ?
No, keep using signature series.
Well folks, I am back with a new oil sample for my Cruze @ 59965 Km's with nearly 24000 km's on the oil with a filter change @ 12000.

This oil sample was taken to Atlantic Cat like before but this time I deliberately deferred the oil change, in the hopes that they would change the reporting format to include TBN and other information to suggest predicted lifecycle of the oil.

You will notice that they did not, which is disappointing. I am convinced that they think that I sample my oil more often than 24000 KM.. "ALL READINGS APPEAR ACCEPTABLE AT THIS SAMPLING. CONTINUE SAMPLING AT YOUR NEXT SCHEDULED INTERVAL."

Also Atlantic Cat closed the lab and the samples are shipped to Montreal..

Therefore I will be moving on to another lab, and likely to dropping it in the mail.
If the viscosity stays in spec and the soft metal wear doesn't increase, your TBN is within acceptable limits. How much does it cost you to ship post office to the US? I might be able to send you some kits.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 5,000 miles on oil, 91,500 miles on car:

I'm always amused by Blackstone's fuel dilution numbers. That's nowhere near 2% fuel dilution based on that viscosity. I wish they took fuel dilution more seriously instead of jerking around trying to interpret flash point. Results are what I'd expect for a 5k mile sample though.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
No, keep using signature series.

If the viscosity stays in spec and the soft metal wear doesn't increase, your TBN is within acceptable limits. How much does it cost you to ship post office to the US? I might be able to send you some kits.

I'm always amused by Blackstone's fuel dilution numbers. That's nowhere near 2% fuel dilution based on that viscosity. I wish they took fuel dilution more seriously instead of jerking around trying to interpret flash point. Results are what I'd expect for a 5k mile sample though.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

My main reason for doing the analysis was to monitor metal wear. I guess i'm pleased

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
My plan is to extent the changes beyond 24000 Km or one year with sampling, as I drive nearly 48000 a year. so now the next phase will be to determine TBN. Once I have that info will I have enough information to go beyond 24000 and how much farther I can go when I complete the installation of the bypass filter? I guess it comes to risk / reward trade off and I request feedback.

·
Administrator
15,676 Posts
My plan is to extent the changes beyond 24000 Km or one year with sampling, as I drive nearly 48000 a year. so now the next phase will be to determine TBN. Once I have that info will I have enough information to go beyond 24000 and how much farther I can go when I complete the installation of the bypass filter? I guess it comes to risk / reward trade off and I request feedback.
I can't really provide feedback with the bypass filter since I went 18 months and was tuned on that last analysis I pulled, but the extra additives should be able to help you extend it a bit and reduce wear in the long term.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Enclosed is my latest oil sample. I spent the money to use Oil Analyzers Inc and indicated that I did not change the oil, IOT look at the data feedback and advice, compared to what is provided by Atlantic Cat. The sample cost over 50 CAD and shipping was 16 via Canada Post. So that is 66 dollars to find out how much longer I can safely extent my oil change interval compared to paying 27 dollars and dropping off at my local Cat rep and staying at 24000 kms. The advice provided was to run for another 3500 miles or 5600 Km. My driving is very consistent over 90% highway for trips long 100 km each. I might drain this oil at 29000 km and then get my next sample at 29000 Km and use OAI again, for the sake of science, then again 39 dollars buys 3 containers of oil.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,676 Posts
Enclosed is my latest oil sample. I spent the money to use Oil Analyzers Inc and indicated that I did not change the oil, IOT look at the data feedback and advice, compared to what is provided by Atlantic Cat. The sample cost over 50 CAD and shipping was 16 via Canada Post. So that is 66 dollars to find out how much longer I can safely extent my oil change interval compared to paying 27 dollars and dropping off at my local Cat rep and staying at 24000 kms. The advice provided was to run for another 3500 miles or 5600 Km. My driving is very consistent over 90% highway for trips long 100 km each. I might drain this oil at 29000 km and then get my next sample at 29000 Km and use OAI again, for the sake of science, then again 39 dollars buys 3 containers of oil.

Thoughts?
Polaris Labs uses pre-defined responses based on triggers in the analysis report. One of those is their mileage recommendation. Barring any unusual wear levels or viscosity shear, if the TBN is above 2.0 (doesn't matter if it's 5.0 or 2.01), they will recommend another 3,500 miles.

If you want to get it analyzed again for science, I'd recommend 5,000 miles before re-sampling. That TBN is still plenty high and everything else looks fantastic. Just remember to change the oil filter.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I intend to change the oil at 94000 kms, which is shortly (approximately 32000km). I will refill and do a sample after another 30000 km. I as an avid maintainer replace the filter every 12000 km. I do notice that the media is starting to collapse at that time and I am not willing to suffer a bypass condition or rupture.

of note am still on the original air filter, minder indicates 70% restricted.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
The technical details are over my knowledge level for now, but I understand the majority of what is being looked at in this thread. Based on Xtreme's information and Amsoil's claims I am running 5W-30 SS oil and Wix filters. I just changed the filter at 7500 and topped with oil. I plan to run 15K. I feel comfortable running these intervals and never getting a oil sample done, but should I once a year? Just as a check up to see if there is any other issues. I track my MPG, I am very in tune with my car, but I want to take care of issues or prevent them if I can.

·
Administrator
15,676 Posts
The technical details are over my knowledge level for now, but I understand the majority of what is being looked at in this thread. Based on Xtreme's information and Amsoil's claims I am running 5W-30 SS oil and Wix filters. I just changed the filter at 7500 and topped with oil. I plan to run 15K. I feel comfortable running these intervals and never getting a oil sample done, but should I once a year? Just as a check up to see if there is any other issues. I track my MPG, I am very in tune with my car, but I want to take care of issues or prevent them if I can.
I do recommend that enthusiasts and owners wanting to get the most out of their vehicles invest in scheduled oil analysis reports to catch problems early. We had one member who went 18,000 miles on his Cruze between oil changes, same filter (says he completely forgot), and had the oil analyzed. Turns out, he had a fair amount of coolant contamination, which coincided with the fact that he had to top off coolant occasionally. I suspect the oil cooler to be faulty, which we've seen on a few occasions where the coolant mixes with the oil if the seals start to leak. Those kinds of issues are good to catch early, although in his case, he should have known something was up when he was constantly adding more coolant to it. To make a long story short, there is value to getting oil analysis done periodically.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Thanks for the info, that is exactly the kind of stuff that i'd want to avoid, because even ounces of coolant over time can be damaging and would take a while to have to add any back in. Oil analyzers seen to be the guys huh?

·
Administrator
15,676 Posts
Thanks for the info, that is exactly the kind of stuff that i'd want to avoid, because even ounces of coolant over time can be damaging and would take a while to have to add any back in. Oil analyzers seen to be the guys huh?
In the US, yes. Oil Aanlyzers Inc is who I'd use. They're a private label for Polaris Labs. Don't even bother with Blackstone.

AMSOIL Oil Analyzers Test Kit, UPS Pre-Paid

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
How does everyone submit their sample info? Online or with the provided paperwork? The online form differs from the paper form. I messed up some on my paper form so went ahead and submitted online.
I feel dumb, but now I know for next time. What is normal turn around time for Oil Analyzers?

I am excited to see the results, I went 15,106 miles on this last change with Amsoil SS.

·
Administrator
15,676 Posts
How does everyone submit their sample info? Online or with the provided paperwork? The online form differs from the paper form. I messed up some on my paper form so went ahead and submitted online.
I feel dumb, but now I know for next time. What is normal turn around time for Oil Analyzers?

I am excited to see the results, I went 15,106 miles on this last change with Amsoil SS.
I fill out the paper. Turnaround is usually 2-3 days after it arrives.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
My sample had 15,106 miles on it with Amsoil SS 5W-30, filter changes at 7500 miles and a Wix 25 micron filter. They said it was a abnormal sample. Boron was flaggd at 36 and base at 2.04.

Seems normal based on others samples. What is everyone doing if they go more than 15k? since the filter needs changed at 7500? Leaving it in even if the oil is changed then again at 7500?

oilreport.JPG

·
Administrator
15,676 Posts
My sample had 15,106 miles on it with Amsoil SS 5W-30, filter changes at 7500 miles and a Wix 25 micron filter. They said it was a abnormal sample. Boron was flaggd at 36 and base at 2.04.

Seems normal based on others samples. What is everyone doing if they go more than 15k? since the filter needs changed at 7500? Leaving it in even if the oil is changed then again at 7500?

View attachment 239706

The filters should be good to 10k miles each if you want to stretch it. That's how long the 2011 and 2012 model oil life monitors went, so I assume that's how long the filters can go.

When base number is above 2.0, OAI/Polaris Labs recommends you go another 3,500 miles (if you tell them you didn't change it). They only recommend you change it if base number drops below 2.0. As a result, you had a solid 18,000 miles of oil life with your driving conditions. Maybe change filter at 9k miles next time?

Boron is always low on used oil analysis. The contaminants in engine oil cloud the readings. No big deal. Wear is low, oxidation isn't elevated, and viscosity is still in spec.

Sounds like you're getting your money's worth.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
The filters should be good to 10k miles each if you want to stretch it. That's how long the 2011 and 2012 model oil life monitors went, so I assume that's how long the filters can go.

When base number is above 2.0, OAI/Polaris Labs recommends you go another 3,500 miles (if you tell them you didn't change it). They only recommend you change it if base number drops below 2.0. As a result, you had a solid 18,000 miles of oil life with your driving conditions. Maybe change filter at 9k miles next time?

Boron is always low on used oil analysis. The contaminants in engine oil cloud the readings. No big deal. Wear is low, oxidation isn't elevated, and viscosity is still in spec.

Sounds like you're getting your money's worth.
Great to hear! As I was driving home yesterday I was thinking I would go 18K total and change filter at 9K if that was deemed appropriate. Is there a better cartridge filter than the WiX? Other than a bypass setup. I am going to research running the filter longer or a better one. 18K intervals is about 1 yr for me so timing is perfect. I am so happy with Amsoil and their products.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts