Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First car with a turbo and being old school it is really hard to think of not changing oil at 3000 miles,,, i guess the recommended interval is 7500 miles. I have been hearing that there have been issues with the 1.4T and folks who have gone to the extended oil change mileage and are having issues. Any truth to that..

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Nope, not if a good synthetic oil is used (avoid the dealer Dexos-1 stuff at that interval).

3000 is complete overkill with today's oils.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not if you use a good synthetic oil. I go 5k between changes on all my vehicles, and use synthetic oil. I know of several people using Amsoil Signature Series oil that go 10-15k between changes, but replace the filter at least once, sometimes twice when doing so. Amsoil makes an extended mileage filter that can be used so you do not have to replace the filter as often. I just like the 5k miles option, works good for me and I'm happy with it. Have never had the first issue with my Cruze that is oil related.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm having trouble finding the attachment, another member had a breakdown of a study done by testing the viscosity of the oil new, at 3000 miles, and then at the oil life monitor of 0 roughly around 7000 miles

They had found the oil maintained acceptable viscosity at 3000 miles to conitue operation safely, and the oil life monitor confirmed that, then at 7000 the oil had reached a level it wasn't, and again, monitor confirmed. The study included much more information I'm fuzzy to such as driving conditions and temperatures and what not

All that being said, my car runs a total 5-6 thousand miles a year, I still perform oil changes around 3500 miles, using mobil 1s' high temp full synthetic formula. At 23 years old in a little old school as well lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes, the '11-'16 port-injected 1.4T, largely because of the turbo, is sensitive to lubrication negligence. A minimum is full synthetic oil @ 7,500 mi. (about what the oil life monitor will tell you, anyway) intervals, unless you're using something expressly intended for extended drains like Amsoil or Mobil 1 Advanced in which case your driving type/environment and oil analysis dictates just how long you can go. 3,000 miles really is unnecessarily short, but 5-6,000 on any name brand full syn is a good middle ground between not wasting the oil but not pushing it too far.

85K on my '13, all but 3 changes of which were on Valvoline Synpower @ 5,000 miles, and mine still performs as well as the day I picked up at the dealership with zero powertrain repairs.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
7300 mi on Pennzoil Platinum. I forget how long it was in there - probably 9-10 months at my normal mileage. Oil would still have done its job for a while yet.

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Extended drains on oils suitable for those drains have been shown to reduce wear over using the dexos1 semi-synthetic oil at OEM drains. AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30 will go 15,000 miles between changes (filter change at 7,500 miles) in this vehicle, and many oil analysis reports have repeatedly validated that as being safe, even in some tuned cars. The thermo-oxidation performance of this specific oil actually extends turbocharger life by drastically reducing deposit formation.

·
Registered
206 Posts
First car with a turbo and being old school it is really hard to think of not changing oil at 3000 miles,,, i guess the recommended interval is 7500 miles. I have been hearing that there have been issues with the 1.4T and folks who have gone to the extended oil change mileage and are having issues. Any truth to that..
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, first make sure you have the updated Turbo Oil Feed line with the heat shield. If you don't, then you need to update it. Otherwise, disregard this comment.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Nope, not if a good synthetic oil is used (avoid the dealer Dexos-1 stuff at that interval).

3000 is complete overkill with today's oils.
Q.1: Is the new Dexos-1 a 'good synthetic oil' good for 7500-mi intervals? I've read here that an older semi-syn version was phased out in the last six months in favor of a full-syn version.

Q.2: Do these same intervals apply to the Gen.II? Any oil-related 'gotchas' with the Gen.II?

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Q.1: Is the new Dexos-1 a 'good synthetic oil' good for 7500-mi intervals? I've read here that an older semi-syn version was phased out in the last six months in favor of a full-syn version.

Q.2: Do these same intervals apply to the Gen.II? Any oil-related 'gotchas' with the Gen.II?
In the gen1, I'd say the new dexos1 oil should be good for 7500 mile drains.

The gen2 has additional lubrication challenges. We don't have enough data on how that engine performs yet.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
In the gen1, I'd say the new dexos1 oil should be good for 7500 mile drains.

The gen2 has additional lubrication challenges. We don't have enough data on how that engine performs yet.
I'm aware of the possible carboning-up of intake valve stems (has been a problem with some other GDI engines). Do we have data or solid conjectures on this yet, for our engines?

Are there other 'lubrication challenges' that owners might ameliorate with good oil selection or oil-change hygeine?

Sorry for a partial thread-jack. Can re-post in Gen II forums if appropriate. Might be good to start a new thread there, for the Gen II owners.

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
I'm aware of the possible carboning-up of intake valve stems (has been a problem with some other GDI engines). Do we have data or solid conjectures on this yet, for our engines?

Are there other 'lubrication challenges' that owners might ameliorate with good oil selection or oil-change hygeine?

Sorry for a partial thread-jack. Can re-post in Gen II forums if appropriate. Might be good to start a new thread there, for the Gen II owners.
First is the issue with intake valve coking up, and that's just not something GM has addressed. The issue comes from two sources; oil vapor ingested through the PCV system, and more importantly, exhaust gas reversion. The first source can be alleviated with the use of a low volatility oil./

Second is LSPI frequency, which can be reduced with an oil that has a good oxidation stability, since LSPI is ultimately just a function of oxidation (which is contributed to by additives and base oil formulation). We've been seeing some piston damage that I suspect is caused by detonation or LSPI. GM halted production of this engine in Korea due to the piston failures.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,167 Posts
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, first make sure you have the updated Turbo Oil Feed line with the heat shield. If you don't, then you need to update it. Otherwise, disregard this comment.
Is there a TSB or something for this? What years does it affect?

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,167 Posts
Not sure of what years affected. XR made an oil line replacement sticky in 2015, he mentions the new style line for 2011-2013 use 2-orings and includes a full length head shield, and later reveals the possibility of the oil like clogging and failing turbos.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/129-...s/118210-how-replace-turbo-oil-feed-line.html
I have read that post and actually passed it on a few times. I was just wondering if there was anything from GM proper.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have read that post and actually passed it on a few times. I was just wondering if there was anything from GM proper.
I can't think of where I read it. I know when I was looking for a Cruze, that was one of my inspection items (it would lose points having the old version line, and will use it as ammo for negotiation). In addition, I made sure to inspect my buddies Cruze he picked up last summer.

The discussion on this may be hidden in that big "what oil" to use in the Cruze or some other mega thread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.