Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
The big question is "will it have start/stop technology that works with both automatic and manual transmissions?" It's the lack of start/stop technology that is killing the Cruze's city fuel economy. My understanding is that Opel has a 1.6T EcoTec engine with this technology.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Direct injection?...for ~11-15% better fuel economy and similar C02 emission reduction?

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Direct injection?...for ~11-15% better fuel economy and similar C02 emission reduction?
Just hope the DI issues (gunked up valves as seen in BMWs and Minis) don't become an issue with the Cruze.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,785 Posts
Just hope the DI issues (gunked up valves as seen in BMWs and Minis) don't become an issue with the Cruze.
Hyundai and GMs have proven to be reliable. I can't imagine Honda would have gone that direction if they hadn't figured it out either.

The Cruze is meant to be a fuel economy champ, not a race car. I would like to see it mid-pack in terms of HP though. It looks like Nissan, Honda, and Toyota are keeping their engines right around 140 HP in their redesigned small cars.

They tried for class leading 4 cyl HP in the Malibu at the expense of the worst fuel economy in the midsize class. I don't think they'll make that mistake with the Cruze. Hopefully the slight increase in displacement along with direct injection will give it a smidgen more "oomph" from a stop as well as allow them to use a bigger turbo for more top-end highway passing power that the current Cruze very much needs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,785 Posts
Interesting tidbit: Toyota's DI engines (Lexus 3.5, Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS) use a set of port fuel injectors alongside the direct injection system to wash fuel over the intake valves when deemed necessary or to operate at low RPMs for emissions purposes.

Since Audi/VW can't seem to get their timing right like the others in order to stop their valves from gunking up, they've got something similar in the works (they say it's for "emissions purposes").

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Toyota's DI engines (Lexus 3.5, Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS) use a set of port fuel injectors alongside the direct injection system to wash fuel over the intake valves when deemed necessary or to operate at low RPMs for emissions purposes.
Interesting. From what I have been told - the BMWs that are being used lightly - not run through the gears approaching redline are the ones gunking up the valves.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I'd love to see it be lighter (2700lbs) with the 1.5L and like you guys say the start/stop and direct inject. I would buy that in a second.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Bigger isn't necessarily the right direction :) This 1.4 actually performs very very well. Much better than my Civics 1.7L non turbo.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Instead of boring the block and buying biggers pistons , wouldnt it be cheaper for gm to just tune the 1.4 ?
Who says they are using bigger pistons to get the increased size? If past GM motors are looked at its more likely they would use a longer stroke for even better low end torque. Either is just speculation at this point though.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I bet the 2016 Cruze is nearly 100 pounds heavier than the current version. The extra .1L & 20 hp will be necessary to maintain mpg and performance and that's the reason for the increase in displacement. Is this the current 1.4L motor with a slight bore increase? Still wouldn't consider one until the 2017 MY.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
WOW a whole .1 bigger! Watch out camaro. lol what a waste of time.
Dislike
How can you say waste if they can go up more displacement and gain the same MPG as the smaller engine more power to them.

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
Sounds like another one of GMs one size fits all engines to support all cars(but more fuel efficient) Like the 2.2 they put in all mid size cars(Alero, Grand Am, Malibu and Cobalt) or the mid 80s 3.8L 229/231 put in the Monte Carlo, Grand Prix Cutlass, Regal etc. I am sure it is an attempt at cost cutting by consolidating, engines for most cars. But more fuel efficient. With vehicle downsizing, definitely a step in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.