Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most of you American Cruze owners will be unfamiliar with the 1.6, but it is a very similar engine to the 1.8.
This problem though, I think its likely to just be a general problem that could happen to any car, although I don't have a clue whats up with it, and thats my problem.

I'll try describe the issue as best as possible, so here goes.
When I start the car and drive off, it doesn't matter how much I press the throttle, the car does not want to accellerate unless the pedal is flat to the floor. Instead, it kinda jumps, like its suddenly getting the power, then it dissapears immediately. This gives a very jittery ride. Its okay when your at a speed, say 30mph, as your not using the engine much.
But if your in 4th gear at 40MPH and go to get up tp 50 (usually plenty of torque at 1800/2000rpm) it just will not speed up unless i drop the gears so its above 3000rpm, obviosly reducing MPG.

This issue continues until the engine has completely warmed up, and maybe driven for another 4 or 5 minutes. Then it seems OK. Not smooth power, but the torque is definately there after this.

I have to leave the car idling for about 10/15 minutes before I set off if it is to be smooth when I start driving.

Its had a spark plug change at 4000miles ago after i had a misfire on cylinder 3, they replaced all 4 under warranty.
Its had a remap too to increase power and MPG but the problem existed before i had this done, and I thought this would solve it.

Im only just over 40,000 so shouldnt be having any major engine issues already surely?

So where is the problem?
Fuel delivery? Spark plugs still?

All help appreciated!

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I know most of you American Cruze owners will be unfamiliar with the 1.6, but it is a very similar engine to the 1.8.
This problem though, I think its likely to just be a general problem that could happen to any car, although I don't have a clue whats up with it, and thats my problem.

I'll try describe the issue as best as possible, so here goes.
When I start the car and drive off, it doesn't matter how much I press the throttle, the car does not want to accellerate unless the pedal is flat to the floor. Instead, it kinda jumps, like its suddenly getting the power, then it dissapears immediately. This gives a very jittery ride. Its okay when your at a speed, say 30mph, as your not using the engine much.
But if your in 4th gear at 40MPH and go to get up tp 50 (usually plenty of torque at 1800/2000rpm) it just will not speed up unless i drop the gears so its above 3000rpm, obviosly reducing MPG.

This issue continues until the engine has completely warmed up, and maybe driven for another 4 or 5 minutes. Then it seems OK. Not smooth power, but the torque is definately there after this.

I have to leave the car idling for about 10/15 minutes before I set off if it is to be smooth when I start driving.

Its had a spark plug change at 4000miles ago after i had a misfire on cylinder 3, they replaced all 4 under warranty.
Its had a remap too to increase power and MPG but the problem existed before i had this done, and I thought this would solve it.

Im only just over 40,000 so shouldnt be having any major engine issues already surely?

So where is the problem?
Fuel delivery? Spark plugs still?

All help appreciated!

JordanNaylor,
I would recommend that you take your Cruze into your dealer to have them look into your concerns. They will be in the best position to get this issue diagnosed for you. I would also recommend that you contact customer service in your area at 0800 666 222 Monday-Friday 9am-6pm. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.