Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least 3 times since June (car has approx 6700 miles) I've cranked the car, and it felt like it was running backwards. It ran for a bit, then stopped each time. Violently shaking for a bit, then shutting down . Restarting the car - everything is fine. Anyone else experienced this before?

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
At least 3 times since June (car has approx 6700 miles) I've cranked the car, and it felt like it was running backwards. It ran for a bit, then stopped each time. Violently shaking for a bit, then shutting down . Restarting the car - everything is fine. Anyone else experienced this before?
I don't think anyone has? What year is that Puppy?:puppy:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2018 1.6 Manual.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
If you put it in first and let the clutch out while it's stumbling, I bet it lurches forward.
But why is it stumbling?
No CEL?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Running backwards has got to be impossible for any electronically controlled diesel engine. All of the parameters monitored and adjusted by the ECU would make no sense and the engine would simply fail to fire.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Have it fixed under warranty. Let the dealer figure it out.

But yeah. Cars haven't dieseled since the carburetor went bye bye. I think that was the word for the action.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Have it fixed under warranty. Let the dealer figure it out.

But yeah. Cars haven't dieseled since the carburetor went bye bye. I think that was the word for the action.
Except for when it's an actual Diesel engine... Then it's supposed to diesel!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: guuyuk

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
There has to be some type of fault code in the ECU for this. Get it to the dealership.. you are under warranty. Let us know what they find.

My 2017 auto didn't start one morning on first try, but did on the second. It's just that one time in about 8800 miles. No such issue on the 2018 manual in almost 11000 miles.

Do you have any kind of OBD 2 reader plugged in? It is possible that they confuse the ECU. Had that happen a couple of times, but not a rough start then stall as you described.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No tunes, tuners, or OBD II readers. happend about twice in 6600 miles or so. I just finished a 1500 mile round trip to iowa, no issues. I do know both times it was a cold crank, after sitting all night in the garage. So you think there's something in the ECM logged even if it didn't throw up a DTC/Engine Light?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
No tunes, tuners, or OBD II readers. happend about twice in 6600 miles or so. I just finished a 1500 mile round trip to iowa, no issues. I do know both times it was a cold crank, after sitting all night in the garage. So you think there's something in the ECM logged even if it didn't throw up a DTC/Engine Light?
Maybe it just didn't catch on all cylinders? This isn't uncommon for diesels if the glowplugs didn't finish a warmup cycle - or they might need another if it's really cold.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure there, it hasn't been cold. This was in the summer and in my garage so at least 70-80 degrees. I still think it was running backwards or out of time because of the vibrations. Both instances It shut itself off before I could really do anything. It might have ran for 1 full second before shutdown.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am guessing that you have a fuel problem. Either air in the fuel, fuel injector not firing or injector pump not working correctly. A 4-stroke engine can not run backwards. Being that it uses cam shafts the timing is to far off for it to run in reverse.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
You might have a bad fuel injector. Maybe intermittently. I had a fuel injector go bad early on and the main symptom was a really heavy shudder under moderate to heavy throttle. There was one occasion where all of the traction control warnings went off too. Mine kind of came and went for a while, but it finally fully failed. I thought it was a bad flywheel because of the shuddering and how it got worse under load, but it was an injector. Replaced under warranty and no problems since.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am guessing that you have a fuel problem. Either air in the fuel, fuel injector not firing or injector pump not working correctly. A 4-stroke engine can not run backwards. Being that it uses cam shafts the timing is to far off for it to run in reverse.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That's not entirely correct. Diesels can & do run backwards under certain conditions. Perhaps not a common rail engine, but traditional gear driven pumps can.

Jblackburn - do you know specifically what the dealer could check in the ECM if no codes were thrown? I've got to do a brake recall soon so I'll be taking it into the shop.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Jblackburn - do you know specifically what the dealer could check in the ECM if no codes were thrown? I've got to do a brake recall soon so I'll be taking it into the shop.
I have no idea if anything would be stored in the ECM unless something was pending RIGHT after the failed start.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
No, just push button start. It's a manual transmission.
I think mine did this today, and now it appears the Dual Mass Flywheel is damanged. I had the clutch in, pushed start, and I might have let up on the clutch a bit early in the start cycle, and WOW, it went nuts... all kinds of noise and I pushed to stop, but it did not stop.. I then went to first and stopped it via the clutch.

It restarted fine, no codes of any kind, none.. and started making some weird rattles and I'm about certain the DMF is toast. This is a real problem.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I can now say, as of today, I DID see exactly as you describe, and I think the cause was letting up on the clutch too soon in the start cycle. And now it appears my Dual Mass Flywheel is damaged, as it is making the characteristic noises and vibrations of a failed DMF. By chance, do you think you let up a bit fast on the clutch during the times you have seen this on your car? If I had to hazard a guess, that could also be the problem, and there could be an issue with the car's programming where this happens in that circumstance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think it's something with the push button start - the ECM/computer turns the starter X number of seconds when the start cycle is engaged. No issues with mine thus far - it always restarted just fine.

I don't know how it could be the DMF in your case- it would think it would make noise all the time if it was damaged.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts