Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
421 - 440 of 462 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Hopefully the forum rules here don't advise against posting eBay links but thought I'd chuck this in here - Walkinshaw are getting rid of Irmscher lowering springs for 100 bucks shipped at the moment;

Holden JH Cruze Lowering Springs SET Petrol Models Only | eBay

I installed a set in my car a few weeks ago and the drop is great, bang on 30mm on the front & 36mm on the rear on my sedan(I didn't install the supplied additional rubber pads in the rear, it's about 8mm less if you do).

Worth the pocket change to shave off some height but still be able to get up driveways(albeit on a slight angle, ha!).

They are a little stiffer than expected but the stock shocks are still well in control of the rebound so all good.

Next time my housemate's home in the day time I'll get a photo of his stock-height SRi(yeah, our front yard looks like a tiny Holden dealership) next to mine for comparison.

· Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 ·
Wow, what a steal.
If I didn't love jumping curbs at intersections when traffic is banked up past the turning lane or occasionally doing some pothole and corrugated covered unsealed roads during road trips I'd grab a set.

· Registered
36 Posts
Is there any difference between the suspension on the SRi and SRi-V? Might look into the springs myself, 2 years left on my lease and undecided what I'll do at the end. Really want to get back into a V8, although I'm enjoying the Cruze. How were the fronts to change, or was the car taken to a shop?

· Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Is there any difference between the suspension on the SRi and SRi-V? Might look into the springs myself, 2 years left on my lease and undecided what I'll do at the end. Really want to get back into a V8, although I'm enjoying the Cruze. How were the fronts to change, or was the car taken to a shop?
If there is a difference I would think it would be the Watts link, but I believe both have one.

· Registered
35 Posts
I changed them out myself but if you haven't changed front springs before, it's a bugger of a job and not particularly safe(I've had a spring compressor let go on me while changing out some VY SS springs - the amount of force that releases is insane! - luckily it popped inside the wheel well and only messed up the guard liner a bit).

But if you have done it before, it's super easy on the Cruze, nothing gets in the way at all and all the fasteners are good quality and don't give any grief.

Regarding SRi vs SRi-V - I swear Vs look lower, but that could just be the 18" wheels filling the wells better and playing tricks; be nice if someone could confirm either way.
They both have the exact same setup according to Holden, but that could mean anything.

· Premium Member
3,912 Posts
I changed them out myself but if you haven't changed front springs before, it's a bugger of a job and not particularly safe(I've had a spring compressor let go on me while changing out some VY SS springs - the amount of force that releases is insane! - luckily it popped inside the wheel well and only messed up the guard liner a bit).

But if you have done it before, it's super easy on the Cruze, nothing gets in the way at all and all the fasteners are good quality and don't give any grief.

Regarding SRi vs SRi-V - I swear Vs look lower, but that could just be the 18" wheels filling the wells better and playing tricks; be nice if someone could confirm either way.
They both have the exact same setup according to Holden, but that could mean anything.
My daughter has a 1 week old SRI-V hatch 6m and the handling is very similar to my 2012 CDX diesel, even though the diesel doesn't have a watts link. Mind you we don't push them all that hard, so the link makes no difference. The performance is interesting as we aren't using high revs in the new car yet. The SRI-V feels like it wants to rev, but at low RPM the diesel has a clear advantage. Having said that I think on a drag strip the SRI-V may just have the edge, but mainly because the diesel is auto. With 4 or 5 adults abord, easily the diesel.

· Registered
35 Posts
My daughter has a 1 week old SRI-V hatch 6m and the handling is very similar to my 2012 CDX diesel, even though the diesel doesn't have a watts link. Mind you we don't push them all that hard, so the link makes no difference. The performance is interesting as we aren't using high revs in the new car yet. The SRI-V feels like it wants to rev, but at low RPM the diesel has a clear advantage. Having said that I think on a drag strip the SRI-V may just have the edge, but mainly because the diesel is auto. With 4 or 5 adults abord, easily the diesel.
From what I can see American Cruze turbo diesels are running 16.3-16.8 at around 85MPH down the quarter, so roughly a second & 4-5MPH slower than my manual SRi.

I'd never actually looked that up before, pretty interesting stuff but would have guessed it was closer than that(given the torque difference); are the Australian diesels tuned differently to US market though?

Hey, you live in Sydney, go pay Sydney Dragway a visit & report back :grin:

· Premium Member
3,912 Posts
From what I can see American Cruze turbo diesels are running 16.3-16.8 at around 85MPH down the quarter, so roughly a second & 4-5MPH slower than my manual SRi.

I'd never actually looked that up before, pretty interesting stuff but would have guessed it was closer than that(given the torque difference); are the Australian diesels tuned differently to US market though?

Hey, you live in Sydney, go pay Sydney Dragway a visit & report back :grin:
The Australian diesel is a different engine to the US one. It is a newer design and has chain driven cams. With peak torque at 1750rpm a 2.6 final drive and a redline of 4,500rpm, it isn't really suitable for drag racing. Once moving it is actually as quick as my old 3.8 manual commodore was and climbs hills better. The torque is 360nm at the already mentioned 1750rpm, and at 110 is doing 1750rpm in sixth gear,so overtaking is brilliant.

By the way, Eastern Creek is 15-20 minutes from where I live and I used to work within earshot of the racetracks. Now I have retired I may have time to go watch the Wednesday street meets.

· Registered
35 Posts
So I joined the Irmscher grille club :wub:

Land vehicle Vehicle Chevrolet cruze Car Full-size car

This weekend I'll be reducing the chrome count even further by wrapping the boot handle(trim.... thing....) & debadging the rear end(apart from the Holden badge, which I might paint black).

Seriously need to get rid of the stock rims soon.

· Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #431 ·
I got this fitted by the dealership when new. They took it off the accessories list a few months after the 1.6T came out. It looks great on the car. Only negative is the aero effect means that when you're driving in wet spray or dusty conditions the top half of the rear windscreen gets soaked/caked due to the vortex that must develop beneath it. But that's just being picky haha.

· Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 · (Edited)
My Cruze just completed 1,469km on two tanks of fuel with 9.2L remaining (combined). Not bad!
The first leg was 731km with two people + luggage travelling mostly at 110km/h on course chip with the occasional hill, town and road-train or caravan to overtake. The warning light came on as I pulled into town with 4.1L of fuel remaining. Average fuel economy was 7.7L/100km.
The return trip was with four people + loads of luggage (the car looked like it had been slammed) on the same stretch of road. The warning light came on as I was 1km from home with 5.1L of fuel remaining. Average fuel economy was 7.4L/100km.

This car could easily reach 1,000km on a single tank if you sat on 80km/h in 6th on flat hotmix.

This is the first car I've owned where I can consistently rely on the estimated range reading (to within 10km!). The first time I did the journey with this car two years ago there was a LOT more overtaking and I had 190km remaining until the next servo with my estimated range at 210km. I made it with 1.5L left in the tank, which at my average fuel economy worked out to 19km. I might keep this car a little longer than planned. =)

· Premium Member
3,912 Posts
My daughter is currently on a road trip from Sydney to Cairns with a few detours in between. She has a 2015 SRI-V hatchback 6m and so far is loving it. She has zeroed her total fuel consumption reading and I will post her trip fuel consumption when she gets back. My last long trip in my CDX automatic CTD, returned 6.1 litres per 100 over 2,500km, with a best of 923km on one tank using 54.9 litres, mostly at 110kph.

Reactions: brian v

· Resident Forum Drunkard
8,257 Posts
I Gotta Visit you Mates some ......Yeah I 've been yapping at the Aussies on the Mustang Forum some and those poor guys are going through withdrawals by Ford AU ...Anticipating when they're Vehichles that those Mates Ordered 2 years ago are finally going to be allowed to get they're Grubby , Sweaty Palms upon ...24/12/2015

Merry Christmas OZ ...

· Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #437 ·
anyone like to comment on the use of 98 octane fuel in the 1.6 turbo cruze?,I have used 98 only since brand new in my cruze and I find it performs better on 98 than 95. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
The car should not benefit from 98 over 95 in terms of performance, as the factory tune is unable to adjust the timing and boost pressure to take advantage of the higher octane fuel. When comparing 95 to 91 then yes there would absolutely be a increase in performance (and responsiveness).

However considering that 98 generally has less impurities, higher-grade detergents and provides slightly increased fuel economy due to the ~2% higher density I personally pay the extra. If you travel 13,000km a year its only about $75 more than using 95. In saying that I'll use either 95 or 98, whichever happens to have the shortest que.

· Registered
90 Posts
I possibly should have mentioned that my cruze has had an ecu remap last year,perhaps that accounts for the perceived difference.

Having said that it is still no rorty "hot hatch" in straight -line performance.

I think maybe weight might have a little to do with that or perhaps I am just expecting more than it can deliver?:uhh:

· Premium Member
3,912 Posts
A friend of mine in Sydney has just had his 1.6T hatch tuned by BNR in the last few days and has 160kw and around 190nm of torque. This is so far the only 1.6T Jerry has tuned.

· Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
Yea weight ranges from 1.45 tonnes (manual SRi sedan without a spare) to 1.50 tonnes (auto SRi-V hatch without a spare).
Quite the porky car indeed! Rivals with a new-gen chassis' weigh 100-150kg less.

421 - 440 of 462 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.