Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1.8 ECU replacement

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  subzeroracing 
#1 ·
First Post on this forum, need to get some information from fellow users,

I have a 2012 1.8 Cruze and I am located in Trinidad. My ECU was damaged, Part number# 5WY1J16A, unfortunately this ECU is not part of the Cruzes built for the American Market. the US version is Part number 12653536. i was wondering if it made sense to get this ECU and wiring harness to reprogram to work on my engine. The engine is identical to the US version except for the ECU. Any thoughts or opinions will be greatly appreciated,

Marlon

#2 ·
While I am far from a technician, my thoughts would be to try and find the correct ECU for your vehicle. If you change the way it operates, there is a good chance the other control modules will not recognize it. Possibly @Robby can help. I would have your VIN handy as well.

#3 ·
This is something I wouldn't even consider. Too many unknowns beginning with the need for a MDS(satellite based) to introduce the ecm to the car.......nobody in your country would know how it operates.
The arrangement your car currently has is likely a very simplified version of its US counterpart, likely created because of the limited training and service facilities in your country, and far different emission regulations.

All speculation on my part but the only reason I can think of for using a entirely different (wiring and module) system in your country.

IMO, keep it as designed to reduce future brain damage.

Rob

#4 ·
thansk for the responses. My car doesn't have the same ECU as the American Variant however every part i have changed i have purchased online via Chevrolet American Websites. I believe that if i used the Engine Harness from the US Variant and the ECM that connects to it, i should be able to get it programmed and up and running. I understand its a risk, but at this time the ECU for my car part number 5wy1j16a, is very scarce to come by and the only ones that i find online , i am unable to purchase due to the region in which they are located.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.