Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Crusie Owner.

Bought my fiance a 2013 base model as a wedding gift. What kind of MPG can we expect to see after break in?

She had heard people were seeing over 35, but I just wanted to ask the cruzetalk users what they are seeing on a regular basis for this model.

Thanks

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,747 Posts
Nice wedding gift! and congrats on the new marriage. I also just got married.

My LS is getting 22-24 MPG as an avg of CITY (more city than HWY for me here in Miami) and on long trips i have accomplished 35-37 MPG 60-70 MPH avg speed. I have a 2011.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Good for her as long as you do not decide that you must have to mod that shiny cruze for her , there are a couple of mods out there that do give the car more appeal some don't .. ikermit nailed this 1 his averages coincide with mine ,although I have hit 40 highway as long as I keep the speed under 65 .. Cool ..

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
New Crusie Owner.

Bought my fiance a 2013 base model as a wedding gift. What kind of MPG can we expect to see after break in?

She had heard people were seeing over 35, but I just wanted to ask the cruzetalk users what they are seeing on a regular basis for this model.

Thanks
Congrats on the wedding and the new Cruze! Welcome to the family:)!

Crystal L-Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
679 Posts
Insufficient info. See Many Factors Affect MPG.

Besides cold weather, other huge influences are the length of the trips, amount of idling, speeds and driving habits. Short trips w/lots of idling and stop and go in cold weather coupled w/terrible driving habits (e.g. useless idling, accelerating to red lights, driving way too fast, riding the brakes, underinflated tires, etc.) will give you lousy mileage. Long highway trips while not going too fast (say below 70 mph) will give you much better mileage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For the 1st 8000 miles my DIC was at 32. Then it was at 33 mpg. Now at 13000 miles the DIC is at 34. Never reset it. Not much highway driving, just a few trips of 120 miles. Main driving is mostly around town errands.
This is what the Onstar app on my iPod reads.
Auto transmission, LS., no engine mods except plugs regapped to 30 (if I remember right). Tire pressure 40 - which I think still gives an excellent ride. I do use the AC when needed. Regular gas -Shell. Mobil1 oil. Love this car!!

·
Banned
158 Posts
Here's an old thread:

In years past, & loving high mpg, I wanted an Eco-Cruze w/manual tranny, but Chevy never would give me a good deal. Finally got a wonderful deal on a 2013 1.8 liter, auto tranny Hyundai Elantra, no mpg mods($15,500). Tho not the mpg of the manual tranny Eco-Cruze, I've worked hard to average 38.5 to 39mpg with ~ 15% city driving. I've been pleased, altho the 131 lbs-ft of torque can be irksome when you need get-a-long. In 6th gear at ~ 45mph, you have to dump 3 gears to get any acceleration.

Has anyone on Cruzetalk compared the Cruze LS (1.8 liter) to the Elantra?

·
10,711 Posts
Here's an old thread:

In years past, & loving high mpg, I wanted an Eco-Cruze w/manual tranny, but Chevy never would give me a good deal. Finally got a wonderful deal on a 2013 1.8 liter, auto tranny Hyundai Elantra, no mpg mods($15,500). Tho not the mpg of the manual tranny Eco-Cruze, I've worked hard to average 38.5 to 39mpg with ~ 15% city driving. I've been pleased, altho the 131 lbs-ft of torque can be irksome when you need get-a-long. In 6th gear at ~ 45mph, you have to dump 3 gears to get any acceleration.

Has anyone on Cruzetalk compared the Cruze LS (1.8 liter) to the Elantra?
2013 Elantra with the Active eco button on and intentions of reaching real world mpg number I got like 25.1 combined and 21 w/o it and not giving a care in the world for mpg.

28 city/38 highway/32 combined are hypermilers numbers for this car. I get those in my 2013 eco if I do 3300 shifts and about that in a 2014 2LT auto under normal tooling around. To be fair, I got slightly higher numbers out of a 2013 LS loaner over the Elantra under similar driving conditions as well. Backseat room for the Elantra is larger than ours on paper but not by much in person. Backseat room between the 2 are mostly dependent of driver and front passenger positioning of the seat. If they are tall, then both back seats are cramped. The 1.8 in the Elantra does "feel peppier" than the Cruze 1.8 from a dig and freeway wot from normal cruise.

At the end of the day I say go rent the Elantra and see it for yourself after driving the Cruze. You may look at it as $70-$120 wastefully spent but it's cheaper than buying a car and trying to sell/trade it months later because you just can't stand it weeks into ownership.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I've worked hard to average 38.5 to 39mpg with ~ 15% city driving. Has anyone on Cruzetalk compared the Cruze LS (1.8 liter) to the Elantra?
2013 Elantra with the Active eco button on and intentions of reaching real world mpg number I got like 25.1 combined.........28 city/38 highway/32 combined are hypermilers numbers for this car.......To be fair, I got slightly higher numbers out of a 2013 LS loaner over the Elantra under similar driving conditions as well. Backseat room for the Elantra is larger than ours on paper but not by much in person. Backseat room between the 2 are mostly dependent of driver and front passenger positioning of the seat. The 1.8 in the Elantra does "feel peppier" than the Cruze 1.8 from a dig.....
Thank you for the good comparison. Yes, the Elantra has only 1 inch wider rear seat shoulder room than Cruze, but Elantra, also has a slightly narrower exterior width. I'll take the space efficiency & both dimensions because of our fairly narrow 2 car garage. 1 inch more is better than 1 inch less, & 1 inch less is better than 1 inch more. And yes, the Elantra must be "peppier" because of slightly greater power AND somewhat lighter weight. But you will have to lean on the throttle.

While many find the Elantra substandard in mpg, I've found that the Elantra(auto tranny) gains good mpg, with easy accelerations, attaining the highest gear possible at lower speeds, & shifting down BEFORE ascending hills. Twice it has obtained 42.5 & 43 mpg, WITHOUT being on the highway continuously AND WITH cool downs on both tanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I generally get right around 30 mpg on country roads with a few stop light and signs, in the city I'm seeing about around 25 to 28 mpg, and up on the highway I average around 33 to 35 at 70 mph. Above 70 i get around 30 mpg. I drove through New Jersey a few weeks ago and kept the speedometer on 60 mph and averaged 38 mpg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.