Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1.8 Timing Belt Issue? Loud Engine noise + Rocking

10061 Views 54 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Cruzing12
I made a previous thread but I want to make another one now that I have more information about this issue.

My 2013 1.8 Has been exhibiting a jerking sensation while in Drive. I now have caught the engine making a rhythmic grinding noise when it does this.

Here is a video of the noise.

I went out today to listen with a stethoscope to see if I could pinpoint the noise.

It was most prevalent when I placed it over the coil pack cover, but when I removed the cover I couldn't hear the noise. However, the jerking remained.

I thought it might have been the serpentine belt or the pulley on that but I heard nothing in that area.

I then removed the timing belt cover. I couldn't get the stethoscope in there to listen but what I saw was the idler/tensioner (not sure what it was) shaking a bit.
Here are videos of what I saw

My question is if this movement is normal or not? I have been digging into this for a while and I am out of ideas. Will probably take it to a shop soon but looking for advice first.

None of the timing components have been changed yet. Car has 84K miles

I don't think its a misfire issue as I recently changed the plugs and have and OBD2 scanner that isn't picking up misfires. Also no codes.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· The Nuclear Option
5,874 Posts
I made a previous thread but I want to make another one now that I have more information about this issue.

My 2013 1.8 Has been exhibiting a jerking sensation while in Drive. I now have caught the engine making a rhythmic grinding noise when it does this.

Here is a video of the noise.

I went out today to listen with a stethoscope to see if I could pinpoint the noise.

It was most prevalent when I placed it over the coil pack cover, but when I removed the cover I couldn't hear the noise. However, the jerking remained.

I thought it might have been the serpentine belt or the pulley on that but I heard nothing in that area.

I then removed the timing belt cover. I couldn't get the stethoscope in there to listen but what I saw was the idler/tensioner (not sure what it was) shaking a bit.
Here are videos of what I saw

My question is if this movement is normal or not? I have been digging into this for a while and I am out of ideas. Will probably take it to a shop soon but looking for advice first.

None of the timing components have been changed yet. Car has 84K miles

I don't think its a misfire issue as I recently changed the plugs and have and OBD2 scanner that isn't picking up misfires. Also no codes.
I'm not sure if that movement is normal or not. However the 1.8L is an interference engine. So if any of the timing components break and the engine skips time, it can cause ALOT of internal engine damage. If it were my car at 7-8 years old and 83,000 miles, I would be changing the timing belt as well as the other timing components to be safe. The recommended maintenance interval is 100,000 miles, so your almost there anyway.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bro I have this exact same problem almost like a surging pulsation does this affect ur shift quality.? I have changed coil plugs head vvt solenoid phaser timing belt and still having this problem please help this is a horrible thing I want a smooth 1.8 🙏 View attachment 290984 View attachment 290985 View attachment 290986
I have not figured the issue out yet. Since the car drives fine I was just going to live with it until I get the timing belt changed and see if that fixes it. I would probably get that done around summer time. The research I did made me believe it could be the timing belt tensioner but idk. It only jerks when the idle goes down to around 700. If the car isn't warmed up all the way and the idle sits at 800-900 its as smooth as can be.

I can't say if it affected by shift quality or not. Car shifts a little rough when cold, smooth when warmed up. As far as I know that is normal for this car.

It scares me that you changes all of that and still have the issue. At first I thought it was the tranny but The noise is coming from the engine even then in park or neutral. Just jerks in drive and reverse.

· Registered
48 Posts
Changing the timing belt is not gonna help bro I just did that. I did stumble upon something at like three in the morning about a check valve that send the correct oil flow to the timing gears they claim it’s a eco-tech secret

· The Nuclear Option
5,874 Posts

· Premium Member
885 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.