Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own the 1.4 turbo in a 2014 Chevy Cruze. My sister is looking to buy a 2014 Cruze for my niece. I'm happy with mine except I just had to replace at only 69,000 miles the PCV valve which includes the intake manifold. This is a common problem and I've been told I will have to replace it again within the same number of miles or years. Crazy if you ask me. It would have been an $1300-1400 repair cost if I hadn't still fallen under my five year warranty. Two more months...and I would have had my first big repair job.

That being said, I'm asking, "Long term will the maintenance costs/repair costs for the 1.8 be less, more or the same as the 1.4 turbo? I would really like some thoughts on this. I"m wondering if I should recommend the 1.8 for this reason.

Yes the 1.4 turbo is a better performer but long term is the 1.8 more reliable?

Thanks!
Joe

·
10,713 Posts
1.8 in that aspect "Should" be less but you never know how the previous owner treated that car especially if it was a lease. We've seen/known folks with cars that came with free oil changes and didn't bother to do 1 and claim the car is crap when that bites them. End of the day there is no way I could have lived with the 1.8 for the entire loan period.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Something to also consider is the 1.8 fuel economy. The 1.8 gets significantly worse fuel economy vs the 1.4T. So that will add to running costs as well. For me, I'd never consider a 1.8 Cruze over a 1.4T Cruze.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. I've never driven one of them. But I would say at least it isn't worse than the 1.4 turbo in regard to maintenance...

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
The 1.8 has a couple common issues that aren't that expensive to fix - the thermostat/housing leaks, and the intake manifold tuning valve sometimes breaks/sticks. Both should cost <$300 to fix, and the 1.8 has proven to be a fairly reliable powertrain in the Sonic/Cruze platform. Other than that, the major maintenance with the 1.8L is the timing belt change due at 100K miles ($500-800 depending on the shop). That said, it does feel very underpowered in day-to-day driving compared to the 1.4T, which in turn feels pretty underpowered itself.

The 1.4T does have a number of common issues that I would say ding the reliability of the car. Water pumps, PCV issues (x3 in the lifetime of a normal Cruze), turbo underboost codes, etc. The turbo replacement - out of warranty - can be quite expensive. I can't imagine why a intake manifold/valve cover replacement would cost $1400; it's ~$400 worth of parts and two hours or so of labor. The 2014-2015 1.4T Cruzes are more reliable than the earlier ones for sure.

This forum and being able to turn a wrench or locate a better independent mechanic will help you save $ on whatever issues may come up.

Is a 2016 Gen 2 out of the price range being considered? So far, the new 1.4T has proven to be quite reliable when a good oil is used to avoid LSPI.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The 1.8 has a couple common issues that aren't that expensive to fix - the thermostat/housing leaks, and the intake manifold tuning valve sometimes breaks/sticks. Both should cost <$300 to fix, and the 1.8 has proven to be a fairly reliable powertrain in the Sonic/Cruze platform. Other than that, the major maintenance with the 1.8L is the timing belt change due at 100K miles ($500-800 depending on the shop). That said, it does feel very underpowered in day-to-day driving compared to the 1.4T, which in turn feels pretty underpowered itself.

The 1.4T does have a number of common issues that I would say ding the reliability of the car. Water pumps, PCV issues (x3 in the lifetime of a normal Cruze), turbo underboost codes, etc. The turbo replacement - out of warranty - can be quite expensive. I can't imagine why a intake manifold/valve cover replacement would cost $1400; it's ~$400 worth of parts and an hour or so of labor. The 2014-2015 1.4T Cruzes are more reliable than the earlier ones for sure.

This forum and being able to turn a wrench or locate a better independent mechanic will help you save $ on whatever issues may come up.

Is a 2016 Gen 2 out of the price range being considered? So far, the new 1.4T has proven to be quite reliable when a good oil is used to avoid LSPI.
The Intake Manifold Labor Guide on Alldata is 3-4 hours for R&R of Intake and then you have to add the valve cover. Those numbers do seem kind of high, but if someone reads this thread in the future, you're not going to get a mechanic to do an intake manifold on a 1.4 GEN 1 for an hour.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
The Intake Manifold Labor Guide on Alldata is 3-4 hours for R&R of Intake and then you have to add the valve cover. Those numbers do seem kind of high, but if someone reads this thread in the future, you're not going to get a mechanic to do an intake manifold on a 1.4 GEN 1 for an hour.
Good info. They had mine all done (valve cover and intake) in <2 hours, so they must have done a few of them already.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I opted for the 1.8l for the very reason of reliability. I was looking for a car that wasn't going to give me a lot of little issues to take care of on a budget. I have a coworker who has a 2014 with the 1.4t and has had most of the problems mentioned above with it, so his experience steered me away. Hopefully my 1.8l will live up to my expectations for reliability!

When I first got the car back in April and drove it for a few weeks, I was kinda disappointed with how under-powered it was. Over time though, I have gotten more accustomed to it and the shifting required (6 MT trans) and know what gear I need to be in to get moving quick. Now I can say that it is even a bit fun to drive.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I opted for the 1.8l for the very reason of reliability. I was looking for a car that wasn't going to give me a lot of little issues to take care of on a budget. I have a coworker who has a 2014 with the 1.4t and has had most of the problems mentioned above with it, so his experience steered me away. Hopefully my 1.8l will live up to my expectations for reliability!

When I first got the car back in April and drove it for a few weeks, I was kinda disappointed with how under-powered it was. Over time though, I have gotten more accustomed to it and the shifting required (6 MT trans) and know what gear I need to be in to get moving quick. Now I can say that it is even a bit fun to drive.
Keep us updated on how she holds up over the long term. How many miles do you have on it as of now?

·
Registered
68 Posts
2014 1.8l LS
bought in 2015 with ~25kmi, currently has ~130kmi

- (~$800) timing belt, which included Timing Belt, WP, Idler, serpentine belt, serpentine Idler, camshaft seals, etc. done ~95kmi
- (~$40) full Syn oil/filter changes when dummy light says so (~6kmi)
- (~$10) copper spark plugs, about every 3-4 oil changes (~20kmi)
- (~$50) Tranny drain/fill, about every 3-4 oil changes (~20kmi)
- (~$10) Synthetic Brake Fluid flush, annually
- (~$20) Radiator Flush, Prestone DexCool 5/150, annually
- (~$150) front brakes, pads and rotors, ~80kmi
- (~$400) Tires, Michelin 90kmi tires. Have a little less than half life left on these. Stockers will last about 30kmi if you’re lucky.
- (~$150) Optima Red Top, ~80kmi
- (~free) intake manifold since valve was busted, warrantied work, ~60kmi

EDIT: I also replaced the window guides/regulators for the driver and passenger sides, about 100kmi and about $80 each

Pretty sure that’s the extent of my maintenance costs to date. I tried to take it down to mileage so you can make a better cost tree out of it. The gas mileage is negligible and not a factor if you consider how much more a turbo will burn under realistic driving conditions. MPGs for an NA motor are fairly stable.

Specifically, I didn’t want a turbo. This was a commuter and I didn’t want to have more “things” to worry about. Ive had plenty of Turbo’d cars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
[QUOTE = "Hazlitt777, post: 3194467, membre: 26345"]
Tenez-nous au courant de la façon dont elle résiste à long terme. Combien de miles y a-t-il à partir de maintenant?
[/CITATION]
je suis rendu a 162.000 km et changeur prestone et bougie seulement sur mon 1.4 turbo 2012.tres satisfait

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,662 Posts
[QUOTE = "Hazlitt777, post: 3194467, membre: 26345"]
Tenez-nous au courant de la façon dont elle résiste à long terme. Combien de miles y a-t-il à partir de maintenant?
[/CITATION]
je suis rendu a 162.000 km et changeur prestone et bougie seulement sur mon 1.4 turbo 2012.tres satisfait
Translated by Google:
[QUOTE = "Hazlitt777, post: 3194467, member: 26345"] Keep us informed of how long-term it is. How many miles are there from now? [/QUOTE]

I am at 162.000 km and prestone changer and candle only on my 1.4 turbo 2012.
very satisfied

Hello,

Please post in English for the benefit of us all. If you want, post in both languages for clarity. Use Google to translate for free.

Merci de poster en anglais pour le bénéfice de tous. Si vous voulez, postez dans les deux langues pour plus de clarté. Utilisez Google pour traduire gratuitement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts