Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Year, trim level, and transmission.
2011, LS, 6-spd automatic w/ manual up/downshift.

2. Miles on the car!!!

3. Check engine light, airbag, or other warning light on or "Service [insert system here]" message showing? Has somebody told you the code if the check engine light is on?
No light

4. Approximate location of the issue.
N/A

5. As detailed a description of the problem as you can give. Something like "My 2012 Cruze Eco manual transmission with 50k miles on it is making a grinding noise from around the brake pedal at 12 mph every time I start the car, and doesn't do it again until I start the car again" is enough to let us get started. (Hint: I described the ABS self-check, and that check is normal for every Cruze on startup)

When the car is idle (in traffic), and the AC is on, the engine sometimes surges for a brief moment then goes away. See below for more information/backstory.

6. Country! Your warranty and repair options might be different in other countries than here in the United States or Canada.
USA - No warranty options

7. (as needed): Left-hand drive or right-hand drive? If your car is right-hand drive, that's nice to know since a lot of us on this board have little experience with RHD cars.
Left

-----

This isn't an urgent issue.

My trip to work is about 45 minutes. When using air conditioner while in drive, there isn't any surging issues. When I come to a stop in traffic, the engine will sometimes revv for a brief second, and then it'll go away. While also in idle, the temperature of the AC is not as effective compared to when I'm driving 30+ MPH. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to mitigate/prevent this issue?

Here in a couple weeks, I'm going to try and get my car looked at by the mechanic for brakes, rotors, & axle check. Depending on suggestions here, I may have him look at other areas. I thank you all for your help in advance!

-Kyle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also wanted to mention that 2 months ago, I had the thermostat replaced on the car to address an overheating issue. That issue has since then been resolved, but the revving issue is still imminent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my other post and this one are entwined; the surging may be the result of worn/faulty spark plugs. I'm going to have them replaced.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All, just following up on this incident. I had the plugs & valve cover gasket replaced; the engineer that worked on the issue advised that due to the wearing of the valve cover gasket, oil had seeped into the reservoir where the plugs go into. There wasn't an easy way to get it out, so it burnt out through the exhaust. About a month later, my the PCV valve, which is interconnected with the valve cover (go figure) malfunctioned, causing my car to have the ESP triggers that this model is known for, and the car started to idle heavily because too much air was getting into my engine (luckily it didn't blow the motor).

I had the valve cover and gasket replaced, and performance improved. That being said, the performance is still dreadful; I can't use my AC without my car losing power and/or overheating after idling 45+ minutes. I'm pinning it on the output of the alternator and the way this car is engineered/manufactured.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts