Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found an oil leak collecting under the oil filter housing onto a bracket underneath. I cleaned it off with brake clean yesterday drove it around and didn't notice anything leaking. Started the car this morning drove it around and saw the oil coming from the engine onto the bracket. I don't have a turbo does anyone have any idea what it could be?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would check if it is coming from around the oil filter leaking past the "O" ring on the oil filter top. Or, the oil filter housing is part of the oil cooler, so it may be the seal between the oil cooler and motor. Those are the two places I would look first.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
I have found an oil leak collecting under the oil filter housing onto a bracket underneath. I cleaned it off with brake clean yesterday drove it around and didn't notice anything leaking. Started the car this morning drove it around and saw the oil coming from the engine onto the bracket. I don't have a turbo does anyone have any idea what it could be?
I would be very concerned that the 'O' ring that is to be installed in a molded 'track' cast into the plastic filter housing is not in the track and is instead all the way up against the housing extruded stop rail.

If you could post a photo of a side view where the cap meets the housing it could help me give more accurate thoughts.

Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty positive it's the oil cooler because there is some oil in the coolant but no coolant in the oil. It's coming from the general area where the oil cooler is. I'm bringing it in on Monday. There is no decrease in engine performance or any other signs of typical head gasket failure either.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If it is the oil cooler, I would confirm that they are replacing the seals on each end of the coolant tubes entering the oil cooler to prevent coolant leaks in the future. I failed to replace an "o" ring on the coolant tube entering the oil cooler when I replaced my thermostat and as soon as the cold weather hit it began leaking coolant from that point. It was warm outside when I replaced the thermostat and everything was fine for about 4 months until the cold weather hit. Should have known better, but took a chance, would have saved me some time and aggravation had I replaced the $2 "o" ring at the time I replaced the thermostat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts