Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any1 found out if there is a turbo system for the 1.8L Cruze yet? Or has any1 custome made pipes for custom fit for it to work? Also does any1 know if I can buy the factory turbo for the 1.4 and put it on my 1.8L? Also what else might you need in order to put a turbo on the 1.8? And for my last question.. what is already out for the 1.8L that i can bolt on or do to get more hp? Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, with enough money to throw into the project it is "possible". But with all "is it possible" questions like this, the other side of the question should be "is it worth the time and effort to do so?" In this case, no it is not.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Anything is possible but you would be much better served just mocking up a different turbo. Cheaper and easier. Also remember there are a plethora of other upgrades, it isn't as simple as bolting it on and going.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Cheapest EPA friendly way to do this, is to trade it off for a 1.4L. Not only everything under the hood has to be changed, but the PCM, BCM, radio, and the vehicle wiring harness plus the entire exhaust system.

What is really difficult to change is the VIN, that tells your insurance company and EPA that your vehicle was modified. These considerations should have been made before you purchased your vehicle.

As a kid growing up in this once great country, engine swapping was a daily deal and a great deal of fun. Can't even do that anymore. No such thing as an add on turbo or supercharger, engine has to be extensively modified to handle the additional loads. Know of many guys that tried this, worked great until they hit the gas pedal the first time. Engines don't run very well with a connecting rod thrown through the block.

·
Registered
391 Posts
There are a crapton of LS V8's with addon turbos/superchargers, it's not as uncommon as you are making it out to be. In this case, the effort is not worth it and I agree there. The cost is very prohibitive with these vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
LSX engines are also built like tanks, the 1.8, while stout enough for low boost, aren't designed for the punishment an LSX engine can take. For the trucks they took a proven performance piece and toned it down for service, but at it's guts it is still a Corvette engine minus the exotic. the 1.8 is a bare bones people hauler motor that doesn't have the foundation for big power,If you do go this route I'd be leery of pushing it past 225-250HP.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,970 Posts
If you want more power from the 1.8, get the Trifecta tune.

Otherwise, sell it, and buy a car with more power to begin with. The 1.4 or the 1.8 Cruze don't have a whole lot of potential without spending thousands on it. And even then, a V6 Honda Odyssey will still kick your butt.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Take those thousands and your Cruze to the nearest Buick dealer to trade on a Verano 2.0T. Similar gas mileage to the LS, but 250 hp/250 ft/lbs stock.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Take those thousands and your Cruze to the nearest Buick dealer to trade on a Verano 2.0T. Similar gas mileage to the LS, but 250 hp/250 ft/lbs stock.
Do those have an OEM LSD?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol none of you have anything positive to say about this. You all make me sad. Y has no1 even tryed? Cruze would be a perfect performance car and beat out a lot. Does it take money yeah i guess unless you know what your doing. Im going to do this and ill post a budget for other people to read and do themself or by a shop and get the performance. I refuse to let the 1.8L Cruze go down im shame! Did i buy the wrong cruze yeah cuz sadly my ex gf had a decision into it cuz of my son and i should have never listened lol. But My credit and finances right now i cant simply trade it off. Cant happen so my next step... make what i got worth it. Trust me ill be posting a thread about a budget and shops in MaryLand that can help accomplish a turbo system and internals and what parts swap.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,970 Posts
So, got plans for a LSD as well? Wheelspin is already bad in 1st and 2nd on an untuned 1.4 because of the low gearing. Same in any powerful FWD car.

I hope you do some brake upgrades as well. Power = crap without something good to stop the car with.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Nope. Though I imagine it does something with the brakes like the Focus ST does to keep a wheel from spinning.

Still not as good as the real thing though.
Hmm, that really kills any desire i had to look into a swap in a few years.

Lol none of you have anything positive to say about this. You all make me sad. Y has no1 even tryed? Cruze would be a perfect performance car and beat out a lot. Does it take money yeah i guess unless you know what your doing. Im going to do this and ill post a budget for other people to read and do themself or by a shop and get the performance. I refuse to let the 1.8L Cruze go down im shame! Did i buy the wrong cruze yeah cuz sadly my ex gf had a decision into it cuz of my son and i should have never listened lol. But My credit and finances right now i cant simply trade it off. Cant happen so my next step... make what i got worth it. Trust me ill be posting a thread about a budget and shops in MaryLand that can help accomplish a turbo system and internals and what parts swap.
You don't have a clue what you're getting into.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
We're being realistic, not negative. For the cost of any significant mods to any of our cars, it's about the same to get a more powerful car to start. Spending $3-4k on mods on a $20k car when a faster from the factory car is in the same ballpark isn't worth it to most of us, especially when the factory has sorted out all the fiddly bits.

There are lots of excellent reasons to mod a cheaper/lighter car, such as better power to weight, better handling, or more moddable engine. Whether it's worth it is up to you.

Reactions: Sourkreme and Hoon

·
Registered
579 Posts
Take my word for it don't turbo the 1.8L unless you have the money to burn and the maintenance that comes with it. My 1.8L is a fun car not the fastest car but fun nonetheless. I like to drive normal so I hear my exhaust and see peoples faces when I pass by. I been complemented on how my car looks and sounds when I park next to them. I mean there were times I wanted to change my 1.8L for a 1.4T but I already spend time and money in this car that its not worth the hassle. Enjoy your car bro Chevy made a good decision bringing the Cruze over to the US. Now if want to make it fast buy a intake, exhaust system, a tune, and you should be fine. IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
The fastest we've gotten these cars is about 7.5 seconds 0-60 and high 14's in the 1/4 mile. That's with 4 figures in mods.

These engines are meant to be killer daily driver engines, not speed demon engines. For daily driver duty, both the 1.4T and the 1.8 excel. Given the performance/economy blend of both, I can't think of another engine I'd rather have under the hood of a daily driver. 3800 V6 power and hybrid-like fuel economy? Yes, please!

Reactions: Calintz

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
just slam it and put some rims on it and call it a day.The cruze isnt meant to go fast,its meant to look good and sip gas.if you want power wait about 5 more years or so,ill let you know what fits into the engine bay;)

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
It has nothing to do with being negative, you can make a Cruze perform if you want to spend big money to do it, but by the time you are done you could have probably purchased a used Corvette. If you feel like investing **** near what, or more, than the car is worth to make it a middle of the road performance sedan that's up to you.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts