Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Holden Cruze 1.8L 2012. 63k miles odometer (15-03-2020).
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Holden Cruze 2012 with 60k miles mid last year. It came with green coolant. Previous lady owner has no idea about it. Has a slow leak, stupidly I added plain demineralized water. It must have diluted the coolant as the water pump drips coolant if the pressure is too high when I shut off the engine. I got two options, Nulon One or Red coolant but I saw a cheaper Valvoline Zerex Dex-cool premix. I just read a whole bunch of bad rap about Dexcool but also claims it was reformulated and the problems went away. I know I have to do a flush or two with demineralized water before switching coolant types. Anybody used the Zerex Dexcool?

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
614 Posts
If it doesnt have dexcool, don't add it to it, if you do you need to drain and flush then add all dexcool. All the brands are about the same honestly though. I have heard Zerex is good as well as Prestone.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,218 Posts
Correct, there is nothing wrong with Dexcool ever since they fixed the initial blend way back when - however, as mentioned above, definitely do not add Dexcool if you have green coolant.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. I bet a previous log book service used some cheaper green coolant, without consulting the owner. In Australia some HOAT coolants are green in color but I just want to get rid of it as I have no idea how long it has been in there or what it is. I do intend to fill twice with demineralized water and drain it after running until it reaches operating temperature before adding whatever coolant I decide to use.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I did it. Used 5 gallons of demineralized water. Could only drain and fill about a gallon at most each time I flushed it until it went clear and had no coolant smell to it. Took 7 hours to complete! Because of waiting for the coolant to cool down each time. First took in a gallon of the zerex dexcool, went for a short drive then it took some more, drove about 5 minutes up and down hills then managed to empty the 1.25 gallon bottle (5L) of new coolant.

My mistake was forgetting my socket set, to remove the air bleeder plug. Will have to do that tomorrow. I will be happy if I can add another quart after bleeding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts